Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

ATT: if you are lowered and have pacesetter headers...maybe down pipe too???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ATT: if you are lowered and have pacesetter headers...maybe down pipe too???

anybody that lower their car and specially if you have pacesetter headers might want to continue reading this post. about last month i had a major leak on my power steering return line. the return line was rubbing right on the down pipe after it was lowered. everytime when i put on reverse i can hear a "pop" sound. what was happening was when putting on reverse the motor is rocking backward and the down pipe is hitting on the return line that's why it's making the popping sound.

the reason i say if you have pacesetter headers cuz pacesetter is a cheaper built headers than slp or tog. my car have ssc prings, pacesetters, and still on stock struts. maybe it's time for new struts the stockers must be all worn out???? i don't know what cause it but it's fix now with new power steering return line and i have plenty of clearance between the down pipe and return line. if anyone that had their car lower, i would jack up the car and look at the power steering lines and see if they touch the down pipe at all or how much clearance it have.

here's how i have mine fix. i bought a motor mount spacers from this guy on the grand prix forums and it does the trick. since my car have intercooler i didn't have to use the full set. i only use the transmision mounts. i couldn't install the motor mounts bcuz it raised up the motor a lot and i'm not able to close the hood. with just the transmission spacer installed i have at least 1"-1.5" clearance between the down pipe and power steering lines and that's plenty.

here's the link to the motor mounts spacers.

http://www.grandprixforums.net/f51/m...inum-1107.html

Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2009

Good info to know. I will have to check my car next weekend.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM

HMMMM?? Well, when I put my downpipe on (and I have the 3400) there was a line to somthing that was kinda in the way. I pulled on the downpipe and made a little "dip" in whatever line that was so I would'nt have this problem. Just trying to give some friendly advise so this does'nt happen to anyone else.
P.S. If you dont know (and this is not directed toward silver cause Im sure he knows) but these lines (brake, steering, ect.) bend VERY easy, so you can prevent this problem if you take a little extra time during installation.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

there are 2 line for the power steering, return line and pressure line and they both are the only 2 lines that i can see that are below the down pipe. you might be able to bend it out of a way if being careful and using some force. those lines look like aluminum but they are actually metal. if you get a magnet and touch it. it will stick. been about 3 years since the car was lowered so the line didn't broked right away. from the time the car was lowered to last month was when it decide to give out. the heat from the down pipe is what cause the line to cracked.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Well, I dont think there should be a problem cause the clearence I have now is the same clearence I had with the stock downpipe. I sure hope nothing happens at least. How much will that set me back if it does decide it wants to pop on me?? Keep in mind, its not somthing I will do, have to get it done by a shop.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

you should be fine then on yours.