Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Took the monte to the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
it was probably the humidity. she said it was mad hot. maybe hot lapping it? im sure in cool weather it would probably run alot better. pull that headlight out, drop the pressure in the front tires, and come out under a little rpm. i have faith next time around shell run some awesome times.
thanks! & yeah it wasnt like hot hot but it was really humid. & i wanted to take out the headlight but i couldnt figure out how to lol

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
And if you were running the original tires, i'd be cautious about going down a track at 100mph. Those RSAs really do suck!
yeah i know =/ but i'm bout to get new tires so hopefully they'll be better then the RS-As

Old 05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What were your 60' times? That would give you a good idea about how bad you need tires.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:32 PM

umm they were
& my best 1/8 mile run was 9.902 & that was on the second run

Last edited by SpinEm_90; 05-29-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM

What are 60' times? Never knew.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:52 PM

From what I read the L67 should do the 1/4 mile from 14.5 to 15.0, and the L36 should do it from 15.3 to 16.0.
Too many variables to say that for sure though. If this was her first time ever driving the car at the track (kinda the vibe I got)- then the 15.3 in 100% street condition wasn't too bad- I've seen plenty of relatively stock L67's running mid-low 15's their first couple times at the track; some of it is just getting used to launching the car.

Not to mention most people's best times don't happen in summer time anyways- weather.com said the temp that day was 87 during the day dropping to an overnight low of 63, so that coupled with learning how to launch the hardest on a surface you're not used to could definitely explain it. However, it is odd that the MPH are all over the place- I see 83 to 92 mph (excluding the one you couldn't see)- is it possible you were letting off before you were through the traps? Usually cars are a bit more consistent in mph even if the ET has some variances.

What were your 60' times? That would give you a good idea about how bad you need tires.
x2- those are far more important than RT's anyways.

Honestly, if you're going to see whats the best that the car can do- don't worry about the lights, they tend to make people nervous about 'cutting the best light' even though it doesn't matter whatsoever as far as what the car runs. That's why if I'm not 100% ready, I'll wait until I get it perfect before I launch- the clock doesn't start until you leave the beam anyways.

There are some times I'll overshoot my launch rpm- or just not quite be mentally set to cut the perfect light- there is nothing wrong sitting there an extra half second or second to make sure you're fully ready to get the perfect launch. I'd rather do that than rush the launch to get a .500, biff the launch- and waste the run. Plus, sometimes I intentionally wait with crazy stupid loud/fast drag cars- you're not going to beat them anyways- and its easier for me to focus if I let them take a second or so to leave and get out of the way (in case something goes wrong and they swerve into your lane).

The only time I'd even consider worrying about getting that perfect light is if you're bracket racing, or if you're actually wanting to race the car in the other lane (ie a set up race between you and one of your friends or something).

What are 60' times? Never knew.
How quickly you covered the first 60 feet. They are by far the best indication of how well you're hooking up- and what your ET will be. If you're trying to get the best ET- getting the launch/ 60' down will pay big time in reducing overall ET (even just a tenth in 60' can change the overall ET a few tenths).

umm they were
& my best 1/8 mile run was 9.902 & that was on the second run
That shows me that your slightly slower than normal times for an L67 could be much improved by working on your launch (or if your tires are that bad, replacing your tires).

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bumpins right. If you pulled a 2.20 or better 60', you probably would have ran a high 14. When you go back to the track, focus on your launch and you will get it.

It's a lot of fun racing and it's cool that you're getting into it now.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM

man thanks bumpin for all of the comments & what not. & i've raced the car once last summer but it was so hot & crowded that i only raced it once & the car didnt hook up at all. it just sat there & spun the tires & got really bad times.
another thing, my car doesnt seem to really take off until it gets to around 20mph, idk if its just me or what. & yeah the first run at 83 i did let off the gas before i hit the line lol i wasnt sure where the line was soo yeah.
& the tree does make me nervous. i've raced before & all but i'm use to dirt track racing so there isn't any tree or anything to worry about. you just go around the turn & right whenever you see the flag, you nail the gas & just go go go! =)

Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the track sounds like fun, i've been thinking about it more and more lately. told myself my car would never see the track though......decisions decisions.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2003supersport
the track sounds like fun, i've been thinking about it more and more lately. told myself my car would never see the track though......decisions decisions.
Why will your car never see the track? At worst you'll run it hard 2-3 times in one night, never have to do it again. First chance I catch I will be taking my Camaro to the track, just want to know exactly what it's capable of and where it stands. Won't be revisiting the track until I make some important modifications to the car.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 PM

oh man i love you for this! im going to show my buddy the video where you whip the mustang since hes such a 'stang fanboy he gets extremely offended

Quick Reply: Took the monte to the track