Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My first track experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your Monte and your engine look great, and I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the vacuum advance. I'm thinking that someone fudged the hp numbers on you a bit. I'm not exactly sure about how much your Monte weighs, but I would guess that it's not much more than 3500lbs max and to run a 14.9@93MPH makes me think that the engine is making something closer to 250hp. When my Monte put down 205whp (about 255-270 crank hp) I ran my 14.4@95mph. I know we're talking about different cars here but weight and hp are your biggest things.

Although, what's the elevation of the drag strip you were at? That would make a difference. Weather would as well.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Im pretty sure they wouldnt have fudged it that much. I have printed out dyno sheet from initial testing and its peak was 460 at 5500 rpm. The track I was at is at sea level. The tranny is a 700r completely rebuilt. I noticed today just driving around town that my tranny is shiffting at about 3500 rpm is that standard. The second run I posted was me manually shifting which gave me my highest MPH but my slowest 1/8 mile time mainly due to the fact that I could not grab in first. Zipper thanks for all the help.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member

It's no problem, I'm really hoping that we can figure this out.

When you say that the tranny is shifting at 3500rpm, was it shifting around that same rpm at the drag strip?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

I am not sure what it was shifting at the track not something i was paying attention to. I did find part of my problem. Last night while checking my timing again. I noticed that one of my plug wires was sparking over to my header not everytime but frequently. New wires and it should help me out some.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM

If I am correct, the 700r4 is computer controlled? at the strip you should be shifting sooner and firmly. you can change this with a tune on tranny. Check you rear end gears on the car by jacking up the back of the car and spinning a rear tire 1 full revolution, count the times the drive shaft turns and that give you the rear end gear ratio. so say the drive shaft spins slightly under 4 times you prob have 3.73 gears (3.73 to 1) slightly over 4 most likely 4.10 (4.10 to 1). These are the rear gears you want, for the strip 4.10 or up street/strip 3.73 prob ur best bet. if you get a number close or below 3, thats your problem, a ratio that tight slows acceleration, but keeps gas mileage up when on the highway.

def some mickey thompson drag radials will help, and still work on the road.

best of luck!

Last edited by Buknasty; 08-12-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member

If it's computer controlled, and the tranny won't shift past 3500rpm even when it's floored, then you need the computer retuned. 3500rpm is way way WAY too low of an rpm to be shifting at for racing. Otherwise, I'm kinda lost now, lol. Sorry.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:09 AM

by shifting sooner i mean the gear ratio should be close (in the transmition) as too keep the rpms in the power band. prob 3,500-6,000 rpms

Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Vacuum advance relates to part throttle timing. It should have no effect on WOT timing.

700R4s aren't computer controlled. Standard old fashioned vacuum/TVS cable activated transmission.

No way in hell is he ever going to want to shift a built 383 at 3500 at WOT. LOL
Shift points are going to be determined by the engine's powerband, which should be apparent on the dyno sheet they sent you. You want to shift it just after peak power starts to fall off- probably in the 6500-7000 range on a real built 383 making 500hp, though again his engine is NOT making near 500hp. Pretty easy to calculate this based on his trap speeds.

I am not sure what it was shifting at the track not something i was paying attention to. I did find part of my problem. Last night while checking my timing again. I noticed that one of my plug wires was sparking over to my header not everytime but frequently. New wires and it should help me out some.
This will definitely help, but I found it hard to believe that a sporadic misfire was robbing you of over 200hp. Maybe if it was missing on 4 cylinders out of the 8. hehehehe

Get the car to reputatable local shop, it has issues that we can't diagnose from here.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM

I checked the rear end and it is 3.73 posi. I changed out my wires and it definintly has more power, idle smoother and accelerates better. I was just messing with the advance because I had the distributor apart. They had my vacuum advance hooked up to my side vacuum port which I think is a pcv port. I moved to what quick fuel thechnology states is manifold vacuum and it really helped with starting and idleing. I think the plan is to have it looked over this weekend and see what is happening. Thanks again for the help I believe my power curve started to fall off at about 5500 so that is where I want to shift?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:38 PM

just after 5,500 will give you full use of curve...i believe the vacuum advance is supposed to come off of the primary metering block, on my holly 750 at least. fool around with a vacuum gauge and see what port you get the highest reading from. A diagram from the manufacturer should point out the correct port.

Quick Reply: My first track experience