Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

engine and tranny question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:46 AM
Default engine and tranny question???

Hey Im new to the american car scene. I used to do up imports but got tired of it. Anyway Im getting a 86 monte ss with no motor or tranny for 1000 dollars. I was thinking of getting a 383 stroker motor with 450hp. I was wondering if that is a good choice and what tranny will I need with that motor? I did some research and I saw a th400. Will that work and if those will work will I have to custom anything to get them to fit? Sorry for the new guy questions like I said just getting into the american muscle scene.

thanks
justin

Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Default RE: engine and tranny question???

es tha tmotor will work in that car. just make sure you have a good radator in it also. Cant stress this enough to keep it cool as you can

Also for the tranny i prefer the th350 Turbo over the 400. but that is a matter of tase there. some will say the 400 is better etc...

But if you have the money to do all of this then i would call Jasper motors up and get the motor you want and a good TCI or B&M tranny that will match it .

then you would have a good combo and also might find out you can get motor then you thought for the price or same will go for the tranny.

Also put some gears in it. i dont remeber what they came with factory but i know between gears and tranny and a good stall it will make a huge diffrence on what gose to the ground and what is wasted.

also on that body style make sure you look for twisting if you plan to race it or launch it real hard alot. they tended to twist some and would cause the T- Tops not to fit right and created leakes etc... but if you look on the web there are sites for that year and can give you a lot of details on how to get around it also,

Good Luck and welcome to the site.