Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

engine and tranny mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default engine and tranny mount?

after much searching, i couldnt find anything on what to expect or feel when a tranny or motor mount is loose or missing? when i start my car it feels like it rocks a little, and even when i get on the gas just to accelerate, not jumping on it.

Thanks guys

Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Default RE: engine and tranny mount?

Excessive engine movement is a symptom of worn mounts- but you really need to pop the hood to see how much the engine is moving. It is supposed to move a bit, but if it feels excessive- its worth checking into before it gets bad.

Your lower mounts aren't missing for sure- they're the only two things holding your engine up from the bottom, but it isn't totally out of the question that they could be worn out (or if they're hydraulic- could've dumped all their fluid out).

Your upper mounts are right there on top, so its pretty easy to see if they're still in or not- but those are less likely to wear out.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

hmm, after i hear it more and more, i realize its not my engine so much i think. Im starting to think its something in my suspension on my drivers side, like something is chattering against each other or maybe a strut is loose or something. these parts on my suspension are all original never been replaced, and the car has 53,000 on it. my springs actually make noise in the mornings when i first start driving, especially over my speed bumps i have to go over to get outta my complex. its actually really loud the up and down motion. the sound that my car makes now sounds like you put something inside of a can and shook it around, very loose sounding, especially when i hit a bump or anything in the road. had my mounts checked out, they are all good. suspension isnt cheap though

If i have to replace, probably get the GR-2 struts. anybody have anything better to reccommend? i dont know anything about springs either, but i have been looking to drop my car slightly, but not anything more than an inch. I only see kits that drop like 1.5 inch or more. anybody know of a kit under 1 inch? or right at it for both front and back?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM

53k seems pretty low for having destroyed the suspension, unless it was really abused.

IMO the kyb gr2s aren't much different than stock. Still a good strut, but I wouldn't expect major changes.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Maybe your ISS, intermediate steering shaft. You can FEEL it thumping with your foot, and your steering is a little sloppier than it should

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

ya, i know i need to do something about the ISS. Its been doing that since like 2 weeks after i got the car. Its not a safety issue though, but does it effect anything else like handling? One thing i keep remembering is that my car was in an accident about 2 months ago, and its always made that scrunching noise in the mornings when i go over the speed bumps, but goes away as i drive it. This sound stays all the time as i hit bumps in the road and everything. sounds like my strut is out of gas inside. its just hollow metal.

Im gonna take it to the shop where i got the work done and have them run their hands over the front end, tighten anything loose. Also, what can i do about the ISS? how much does it cost? and when i get it done, what difference will i notice?

you say the GR-2 struts arent much better than stock. Is their another brand that i would like that isnt much more expensive. I've already ruled out the AGX because of the price and i dont plan on lowering my car, just gonna get 18" wheels. my mustang i had was lowered 2 inches. LOVED the handling around corners, hated scraping my front end EVERYWHERE. its fun when you can beat cars normally out of your engines league simply because you can take turns much better than them

is there a way i could check to see if my springs or struts needed to be replaced without paying out money to get them checked?