Racing your Monte Raced a guy in your ride? Had that Monte Carlo of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Building first drag car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Default Building first drag car

I recently decided to transform my first car a 79 monte carlointo a hobby instead of a waste...The car has sat more years than I have driven the car and has rotted a way. I want to build a 11 sec ride. I would appreciate any tips or advice on which direction to take and what ideas you have to achieve my goal. My wife is supportive of this project but we do have four kids and one on the way so there is a budget!! I have a 350 turbo tranny and have plans to buy a built 350 my main problem is wiring the car and what to do about the fuel tank and should i upgrade the brakes and what about a scatter box or a tranny brake. Basically just any advice or ideas is appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Default RE: Building first drag car

Hi Nick,
First, I hope you have the garage, tools & money : )
Wow, four kid's & one on the way : )
I think it's a great idea to spend more time in the garage
[]Wife says, "Nick, go to the garage : ) []Please : )
I would check out site's like Summitt Racing, or Jeg's
to get some idea's of cost. Also, I would use Google's
Search, or our MCF Search Engineto check out Muscle car sites & search for mod's that someone has already done to a
79 Monte.
I've learned that it really pays to do your homework, before
you begin.
I wish you a bunch of luck on your project. Please keep us
updated on your decisions and progress.
Good Luck 2 U,
`Space

Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

if it's not needed, do'nt have it. headlights, heat aborbing material, extra seats, carpeting, spare tires. lots of guys even run with no hood, it lightens you up and gives you more air to the engine to keep it cool, another idea. aerodynamics don't really matter at this stage, if you were going around Daytona, that would be different. another things lots of guys do is take the windshield out and put in a plexiglass one. this is illegal for street use, but lightens you up a bit. the general rule of thumb is every 100 lbs taken off is a tenth off of your quarter mile time. happy racing

Cowboy

Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM

From one racer to another...
Some may look at little old me and say NO way you RACE?!

2002 Halfscale Jr. Dragster.
3 1/2 inchHuddleston Performance Rhino. Pushing about 65hp
About 10,000 invested.

All I can say is one thing. DON'T GIVE UP.
Drag racing is all about staying loyal to your sport. Friends and family say I'm crazy for spending every last dollar to my name in racing and about 15 hours a week on MY little car alone. This sport is not cheap nor forgiving. They say.. "Why spend so much money when you only race for 10 or 11 seconds??" It's all about going out there and kicking everyone's butt.
..Oh and by the way, I'm only 17

Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM

5 Year Member

really? that makes two of us 17 year olds. actualy, i will be 18 on September 1

Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 PM

I wish I could afford a nice NEW Monte being only 17.
Must be nice. I've been looking at a 04 or 05 SS black Supercharged!!. Like that's all I need, a fast SUPERcharged Monte.

'Cory

Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: 2fast4u2c

I recently decided to transform my first car a 79 monte carlointo a hobby instead of a waste...The car has sat more years than I have driven the car and has rotted a way. I want to build a 11 sec ride. I would appreciate any tips or advice on which direction to take and what ideas you have to achieve my goal. My wife is supportive of this project but we do have four kids and one on the way so there is a budget!! I have a 350 turbo tranny and have plans to buy a built 350 my main problem is wiring the car and what to do about the fuel tank and should i upgrade the brakes and what about a scatter box or a tranny brake. Basically just any advice or ideas is appreciated. Thanks
If your looking for parts go to ebay or craigslist for some local stuff. As for Tranny Brake, if it's in the budget, I'm all for it. But you'll learn, your budget goes fast.. Maybe you could pick up a Haynes book and it could help you out on your wiring situation...

'Cory

Old 08-13-2007, 07:25 PM

5 Year Member

well i couldn't afford the supercharged... if i had waited a year i probably could. i've had that since march... i had to save money for about 2.5 years to get it.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: 2fast4u2c

Fuel tank should be good, but alot build a custom tank and put it in the trunk. It's always a good idea to upgrade the brakes as you can never be too safe. Weight reduction will bea big key on getting to your goal. I would recommend a big cam and possible 383 stroker kit.

Edelbrok intake manifold and carb will also help reduce the weight and will mix the air/fuel mixture better with longer runners. Definately will need Headers to hit this goal as well.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 PM

For an 11 second you shouldn't need a trans brake or anything there. They will help, but you typically start seeing those mods in the 10 second cars.