Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Spray Primer Cracking??

Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
I only did it on the bare plastic becuase on my can it says do not use on paint less than 6 months old

I just used a lint free rag and water to whip it down then dried with another
I guess my can says do not use on freshly painted surfaces. I wouldn't think 4 day old primer would be considered 'fresh' .. but I can understand now.

I would think water alone would not be enough to clean the surface but if it worked for you then

Eventually I have to get this right

Last edited by zzapultimate; 04-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

adhesive promoter would do it for ya too

Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I guess my can says do not use on freshly painted surfaces. I wouldn't think 4 day old primer would be considered 'fresh' .. but I can understand now.

I would think water alone would not be enough to clean the surface but if it worked for you then

Eventually I have to get this right
You could use a little bit of dish soap but if you do that I digest making sure it is thuroughly (can't spell) rinsed so there is no residue from it left behind,

I want you to take my advice with a some precaution I am just an in my garage guy just like you, I'm not a pro, just giving you advice that I have come up with while playing mod maker lol

Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Another failure.. I am majorly bummed right now to say the least.

I had spent another several hours sanding all the last primer back and then resprayed the primer and base coat last night. It looked pretty flawless when I was finished.

I went to spray the clear coat today after wiping it down with water and drying, and this is the result after three coats. Cracks everywhere. The red is showing through all over the bumper. It is getting worse as it dries.

I've never had this problem before, nor any problems really painting. This is the biggest and most pain in the *** painting I have ever done.

For these reasons I had originally vinyl wrapped my ground effects because it was easier and cheaper than painting. I might have to resort back to that after spending days and too much money trying to get this painted myself.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

Man I'm sorry to hear that, I can't belive it did it again, I think it may be time to try a different primer/adhesive promoter and paint combo,

Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM

Sorry to hear budd wish you better luck in the future. Maybe someone on here has done the same thing and can list their products they have used?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

you sure you're not putting lacquer over enamel?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Man I'm sorry to hear that, I can't belive it did it again, I think it may be time to try a different primer/adhesive promoter and paint combo,
I agree. I'm not using the valspar again!

Do I need to sand all of the clear/color/primer off to start over?? Thats 9 coats and three cans of paint! Or can I just scuff the clear and start with the color again?

Originally Posted by Justin Parkinson
Sorry to hear budd wish you better luck in the future. Maybe someone on here has done the same thing and can list their products they have used?
I think I will try and get all duplicolor next time.

Originally Posted by jd1101
you sure you're not putting lacquer over enamel?
I'm not really sure. The can doesn't say. It says on the front "Plastic Primer. Bonds to plastic. Topcoat with any multi surface spray paint"

Old 04-12-2012, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member

It is really up to you how much you want to sand it down but you'll definiatly want to make the surface flat, I'd almost say take it back down again becuase trying different paint on top of that paint it may just turn crappy again

Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM

It is really up to you how much you want to sand it down but you'll definiatly want to make the surface flat, I'd almost say take it back down again becuase trying different paint on top of that paint it may just turn crappy again
True. I'd better pick up some courser sand paper. Is there any stripper that could help with the removal? Maybe just take it ALL off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spray Primer Cracking??