Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Spray Primer Cracking??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Spray Primer Cracking??

So my day just got ****ty.. I spend all morning prepping my new bumper lip and now I have to start over.

I sanded the bumper with 320 gritt to get the clear coat gloss off. Then I layed down 3 coats of plastic primer. It looked good when I was done. Then I waited 1 hour like the can said, and then put a sandable primer on. Not two minutes into the first coat of sandable primer here is what it looks like. It cracked everywhere. Totally ruined. I'm going to have to sand it all off and start over.

Why did this happen??

Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

what brand of plastic primer did you use?

** edit** what kind of paint and everything are you using?

Last edited by Budsjlm; 04-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Default ouch

I'm hurting for ya budd

Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
what brand of plastic primer did you use?

** edit** what kind of paint and everything are you using?
I used Valspar plastic primer, followed by gray rustoleum sandable primer.

Once I saw the Rustoleum primer cracking I stopped, so I only did half of the bumper. As a test since I can't mess it up any worse, I sprayed some black top coat that I'm going to use (duplicolor) on the other half and it looks awesome. The duplicolor on top of the plastic primer turned out great. I shouldn't have used this rustoleum filler primer and just gone straight to color. I was just trying to fill in the scratches though.

Originally Posted by Justin Parkinson
I'm hurting for ya budd
Thanks.. sucks when these things happen.

Last edited by zzapultimate; 04-06-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member

From what I looked up it is cause becuase your plastic primer dries slow and is still kind of soft

Which it is basicially a flex agent in it to keep it from cracking if pressure is applied

And the sandable dries quicker and hard hens causeing the cracking,

If you have somthing you can experiment with and can spare the paint try doing the plastic primer let it set up then shoot both at the same time kind of mixing them, it may work as a flex agent and you may be able to use the sandiable primer

It's wired the plastic primer wants it to set up for an hr mine says 10 min

Last edited by Budsjlm; 04-06-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I had similar problems with rustoleum and plastic.. tried to prime an old sub box that had a plastic front and I sanded really good and prepped correctly but the rustoleum primer just didn't work well. Ended up using duplicolor, I think? and it turned out great. I've never had good results from rustoleum except on a rusted out lawn mower lol.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I used Valspar plastic primer, followed by gray rustoleum sandable primer.

Once I saw the Rustoleum primer cracking I stopped, so I only did half of the bumper. As a test since I can't mess it up any worse, I sprayed some black top coat that I'm going to use (duplicolor) on the other half and it looks awesome. The duplicolor on top of the plastic primer turned out great. I shouldn't have used this rustoleum filler primer and just gone straight to color. I was just trying to fill in the scratches though.

Thanks.. sucks when these things happen.
I messed up one of my headlights using VHT and eneded up buying new Headlight instead of and Cold air intake , I mean it was in the plans anyway but didn't plan to do it this soon

Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I had similar problems with rustoleum and plastic.. tried to prime an old sub box that had a plastic front and I sanded really good and prepped correctly but the rustoleum primer just didn't work well. Ended up using duplicolor, I think? and it turned out great. I've never had good results from rustoleum except on a rusted out lawn mower lol.
I will have to agree to that too when I was younger I would try to paint with rustoleum and have issues with it

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
From what I looked up it is cause becuase your plastic primer dries slow and is still kind of soft

Which it is basicially a flex agent in it to keep it from cracking if pressure is applied

And the sandable dries quicker and hard hens causeing the cracking,

If you have somthing you can experiment with and can spare the paint try doing the plastic primer let it set up then shoot both at the same time kind of mixing them, it may work as a flex agent and you may be able to use the sandiable primer

It's wired the plastic primer wants it to set up for an hr mine says 10 min
This makes sense. Do you think I'll be okay with just the plastic primer and not using the sandable primer next time?

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I love duplicolor but unfortunately the only things stores carry around here are krylon and rustoleum.

Originally Posted by Justin Parkinson
I messed up one of my headlights using VHT and eneded up buying new Headlight instead of and Cold air intake , I mean it was in the plans anyway but didn't plan to do it this soon

Live and learn I guess

Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I avoid Rustolium at all costs nvr had a can spray well ever

Quick Reply: Spray Primer Cracking??