Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Silver Monte With Silver Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM

my monte is victory red, 05, i have pics of it, go to the new members section and look for the post by me, its towards the top, i just joined earlier this morning, drop a comment in that post and tell me what you think of it bro

Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM

To take the mirror off you have to remove the door panel and there is 3 10mm nuts that hold the mirror on and unhook the wires.

As far as taking the glass out of the mirrors you have to have a couple of picks, like o-ring picks. I usually end up using a 90 and one with a little bend in the end. Then you have to tilt the mirror around until you find where it gives you the most room to get behind it. The glass is glued to a plastic piece that snaps into the motor that tilts the mirror around. It attaches with about 8-12 teeth that are in a circle on the plastic piece thats attached to the glass. You hve to get behind it and start with one tooth release it and keep working around. Once about half of them are free the glass and plastic should release. Also there are two wires that are attached to a film on the back side of the glass for the heated mirror. You dont have to worry about which one goes where it doesn't matter.

If you plan on taking the side skirts off I would buy a box of each of the clips that hold the rockers on before you take them off. The clips that hold the rockers on are fairly brittle and are difficult to release without breaking them. I cant remember the numbers of them. But you can get a box of each from auveco for less than $20. But to remove the rockers there is 1 maybe 2 7mm screws in each wheel well. Those come out and then you have to work on removing the upper clips on the rockers. They are a white clip that slides into the rocker and has two teeth that grab onto the body through holes in the quarter and rocker below the door. Using a clip tool and a pick you can pry the rocker out from the body and try to release the clips from the body. Theres about ten of these. If you take your time you might be able to save them. I already had new ones so I just pulled them out and if they broke they broke. Once all the uppers are loose you can lay under the rocker and pull out on the bottom and there is going to be grey clips under there that have to be released. While pulling out on the rocker moulding pry down on the lip towards the outside of the car on the grey clip. This will release the clip from the rocker moulding.

Hope this helps anyone looking to take the rockers off.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM

zwc0442, Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will "try" to accomplish that task sometime this week. What is a "90"? So I can purchase the tool to do the job right.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:37 PM

You should be able to take them off with a clip tool like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap-...#ht_500wt_1604

and a set of picks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/snap-...#ht_500wt_1610

You use the clip tool to pry the rocker out and use one of the picks to release the clip from the body. They are very brittle so you cant pry to hard otherwise they will just break. Kinda a PIA but can be done if you are patient. You should be able to pick up the clip tool and picks at a carquest or napa for alot cheaper than the snap on ones. Also you will need a 7mm to remove the screws on either end of the rocker in the wheel wells.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 14DMN
Thanks! I agree I dont know why Montes didnt come like that from the factory, I mean all the other W bodies came that way.
I was surprised when I bought my Monte that they all were black.

My previous car was a 99 grand am. The 99-05 Grand Am GT's came with body color mirrors. The SE models came with black plastic (unpainted) mirrors.

The mirrors on my Dale Jr Monte are painted black. I know this because the driver's mirror has a small stone chip in the black paint.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, zwc0442! I see what your talking about. My pops has that trim panel tool (I will have to pry it from a locked door(he doesn't trust me with "HIS" tools)). LOL! But the other tool set, I will have to purchase. Thanks for the info!