Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

'97 LS center console question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default '97 LS center console question

hey, all. i have been looking at the center console in my '97 LS, admireing what a lame peice of junk it is, lol. pretty much everything is broken on it, except the shifter itself, but i can live with that. what really gets me is that the finish on the top of the console is... peeling. peeling like a nasty, callosed foot. ewwwww... every time I try to clean it, more peels of.

i was looking the console over today, and it looks like the black top where the finish is peeling is a seperate peice than the base. i dont mean the shifter surround, i mean around the shifter surround. i was thinking maby i could remove this peice and sand / respray it black, than do somekind of finish on it so it was not peeling, but i want to know if i can even get this peice off, and how to go about doing it... i wish i had a good pic to use as an illistation, lol.

thanks for any help / suggestions, everyone!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Without question, use SEM vinyl dye, no sanding is required (except to remove your peeling) dry's in a just a few hours (requires at least 48hrs before setting completely)
and looks OEM!

You will need plastic adhesion promoter to help bond the new dye to your console. i recommend the two following cans of SEM products.

SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion promoter
SEM 15013 Landau Black color coat

Attached is a pic of a completed vinyl dye job.

Attached Thumbnails '97 LS center console question-sem-vinyl-dye.jpg  

Last edited by 03Monte; 07-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

If you are talking about the actual top part of the console base, there is just a plastic coating over the bare plastic. If you sand/peel the coating off you can just paint it like you would bare plastic. Sand, apply adhesion promoter then primer-paint. Not quite sure how to remove the consol, have never done it before.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
If you are talking about the actual top part of the console base, there is just a plastic coating over the bare plastic. If you sand/peel the coating off you can just paint it like you would bare plastic. Sand, apply adhesion promoter then primer-paint. Not quite sure how to remove the consol, have never done it before.
if your using SEM products, do not primer, there is need for it.

also, remember if you decide to paint (spray paint) then you will never be able to use vinyl dye, it clogs the pores of the plastics and will not let any dye in.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Ryan. Funny you ask about interior color cause i'm changing the color of mine. I dont use Sem Plastic Adhesion promoter. I use BullDog from KleenStrip. I'm changing it from that funky looking wanna be blue to graphite.

Just make sure that you really clean the part well with plenty of soap and water then let air dry. Then use the promoter then the sem.

Originally Posted by 03Monte
SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion promoter
SEM 15013 Landau Black color coat
I'm not sure if its a glossy black or more of a matte black. Its its a glossy then go with the Landau. If its more of a matte, then use Trim Black. Also from Sem.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Whats this SEM vinyl dye like? Im not sure I have heard of it. I have seen the dye you can dye soft vinyl with but Ive never seen it used on plastic.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Its a sprayable, flexable die. yOu can usually find it at most Automotive Paint Stores.

This stuff.

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=190

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Whats this SEM vinyl dye like? Im not sure I have heard of it. I have seen the dye you can dye soft vinyl with but Ive never seen it used on plastic.

It works great, i painted my center console last week, i didn't recolor it, i just wanted to make it look new. i will post pics when im done.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
Ryan. Funny you ask about interior color cause i'm changing the color of mine. I dont use Sem Plastic Adhesion promoter. I use BullDog from KleenStrip. I'm changing it from that funky looking wanna be blue to graphite.

Just make sure that you really clean the part well with plenty of soap and water then let air dry. Then use the promoter then the sem.

I'm not sure if its a glossy black or more of a matte black. Its its a glossy then go with the Landau. If its more of a matte, then use Trim Black. Also from Sem.
it's a flat black

Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03Monte
It works great, i painted my center console last week, i didn't recolor it, i just wanted to make it look new. i will post pics when im done.
i cant wait to see the pics. im pretty much in it for the same reason, my console top peice is black, but like i said its peeling. when i do it, i'll probibly use that SEM stuff, since i rest my arm on it alot im afraid regular paint might get worn down. then i just gotta fix the console lids for it to look good, that ashtray lid is gonna suck...

anyway, thanks for the help, everyone, and if anyone else has any idea how do dissasemble the console i would appreciate some input there, i want to remove it so i dont have to mask the whole thing.

thanks again, everyone!!

Quick Reply: '97 LS center console question