Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Satin Black Paint HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Default Satin Black Paint HELP

Hey fellow Monte Owners, I will be painting my 2001 Monte SS soon... I am wanting to do a flat black with more of a satin finish than a plain flat.... I'm not really looking for opinions on the color but although I have painted in the past I have never tried any matte finishes.... I am trying to decide on using a Kit or Matte clear VS. using a flattening agent

Does anyone have experience with either? Which do you prefer? What have you Heard? Thanks guys and girls

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Never been a fan of using flattening agent in urethane clear coat. It never seems to dry hard like normal clear. It always seems to have some softness to it, but not a gummy or tacky feel. That being said, flattening agent in clear coat will give you the sheen you are describing. Its not completely flat and still holds a certain amount of shine.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reply that is definitely what im looking for.... I found this on youtube its a single stage and is exactly to finish I am looking for... I having a hard time finding a price though...

Painting a Jetski Flat Black - (Easy to Spray Singlestage) - YouTube

Anyone know where I can find it?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 PM

5 Year Member

Oh yeah if you are wanting to go single stage there are alot more options. There are pre-flattened paints available as well as having the ability to add flattening agent to gloss black single stage to adjust the flatness. You can go semi-gloss, eggshell and flat by adding more or less flattening agent. Usually you mix it in by % by weight of mixed product. You use your paint and the activator reducer mixed together as the whole and add a certain percent of flattening agent to the mixed product to adjust the gloss.
I have also used SEM Hot Rod black which dries to a nice even flattness similar to the jet ski in the video you posted. Its a nice product to work with, but I dont know how well it would hold up on an everyday driver.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 AM

good luck! i def wanna see pics of this when its done!!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:04 PM

i have to match matt finishes on some of the 2-tone minivan bumpers (i.e montana).

its actually illeagal to sell single stage paint these days, everything has been converted to waterbased. im sure u can buy it but my supplier doesnt carry it nor can he sell it. so that leaves you with adding a matt agent to clear coat. matt goes from M01-M05 on my paint manager system, M05 being flat.
the more matt the flatter it is and its mixed in by weight. i have found that its best to use the slowest hardner available (low, med and high temps) if you use high temp it slows down the hardening process and allows the clear to stay open longer and the matt to take better uniform finish.

the down side to matt finishes is that theres no polishing out scratches or imperfections, after spraying or anytime thereafter.

so make sure you spray it in a clean enviroment, double strain your clear, wet your floor down, tack it good, wear a paint suit.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 PM

5 Year Member

Its not illegal to sell single stage paint. At least not in PA.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Ok cool, I think I got the info I needed. I believe i can still buy single stage here in GA as I purchased some to paint a bumper a few months back... I had planned on asking the guys where i usually purchase paint was it possible to mix the flattener with their ss... I think I may go that route. I'll definitely post pics once i get started and I will make sure my environment is as clean as possible. Cant wait to get started on this Thanks Again

Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Can't wait to see

I as well want to see it when your all done, I was going to paint mine the same way.. But chickens out.. Waiting for some pics

Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

this thread proves that i know absolutely nothing about painting. I'm pretty lost, but sure wanna see pictures