Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

5th Gen ('95-'99): Restoration due to accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm still going back and forth with the insurance company but I did find some excellent prospects for parts today in a local you-pull-it yard.

The only thing I'd need after pulling parts from these two would be the Monte LS rear panel, the section of trunk pan that is crunched, headlight mounting plate, and a hood. The local yards all had terrible hoods. None were undented. I'll keep looking. If all else fails I'll have one sourced and shipped online. I'm planning to get the trunk pan section from a local GM dealer. It's worth the extra cost to not have to sit in the sun and drill out a hundred spotwelds with a cordless drill.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Yeah good luck on finding a solid hood, im still looking myself lol

Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kenny_Z
Normally I leave a space since I was hit from behind once before but this was a hard stop situation. We crested a hill right after an intersection and all traffic was stopped. I had time to consider moving but I was just too close to the truck in front of me. It's one of those "if only" situations.

It was an honest mistake so I definitely didn't hit him. He got out of the Jeep apologizing even before I could ask him if he was alright. He told everyone it was his fault including the officer and his insurance. I remember telling him I was so glad I didn't drive my DeLorean that day like I had planned because he would have seen a grown man crying. He said he'd be crying too because that would have been extremely expensive.
Heres a complete 98 Z-34..
This one is a friends of mine he has forsale.
The price is definitely negotiable.
Something to consider.

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34

Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks for that Stumpmi but if I do lose the car it won't be getting replaced. I have an 86 Monte as a fall back. I would just take the money and put it into that car.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM

I've been dreading this call from the other parties insurance but it turned out way better than I expected, thank God. They've decided that I can retain ownership without a salvage title and they're giving me a payout. It'll help a lot in getting her back on the road sooner. I'm off to the junk yard to start collecting parts.

Sounds like I'm going to need the same luck to find a good hood. I wish us both luck, 67ss.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Yeah these hoods are just basically complex bubbles. Thought I had a straight hood till I stripped it for paint. Wavy as @#$/ lol

Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 PM

headlights are cheap as hell to replace tails arent bad price wise either look on ebay/amazon i have a set of amazong headlights on mine after some dick backed into it and broke the frames on the ebay headlights i had still have the OEMS in my garage for resale purposes. new lights and new bulbs up front should run you 50 i recomend amazon as it appears build qaulity is better than my stock ones

Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Be careful with replacement lights, cheap ones will be knockoffs and not genuine GM parts, search around if you want genuine parts, more money but probably worth it. I had el cheapo headlights on my 97 and they sucked lol, one just never fit right and the mounting bracket snapped.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:48 PM

I ended up just grabbing a headlight from the Monte in the junkyard. It was faded but was only 10 bucks. I'll try to clean it and if it fails I can still use it until I get a set. I don't drive at night very much and I can take one of the other cars if I do. I also have a set of those clear Ebay headlights from years ago. I took them off when I was doing a lot of network maintenance windows at 1am.

I spent some quality time in the junkyard on Wednesday.

I picked up as much as I figured I might need. Lumina trunk lid with panel, taillights, bumper cover, bumper support, trunk and bumper wiring harnesses, and some random bits and pieces. I've always wanted to put a Lumina tail panel on my Monte but there were those two holes in the trunk lid that kept me from doing it. Now I can do what I always wanted to try. If it fails I can always just drill the two holes and get a Monte panel.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM

looks like a good score!!
I always hate the crummy luck with accidents on these cars, Every time someone hits me in Eleanor, thet act like it isnt a big deal because it isnt worth that much to them. I mean seriously, how would you like it if I did that amount of damage to your car? it may be old, but its MY old car.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Restoration due to accident