Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

5th Gen ('95-'99): Restoration due to accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Restoration due to accident

My baby's been hurt.

That black jeep hit me and pushed me into the Tahoe. I'm still waiting on the insurance to let me know what they're planning. The body shop already told me to expect them to want to total the car. No matter what I am keeping my girl. I drove her home after this and drove her out to the bodyshop. She felt the same. No drifting or odd tracking. It's all cosmetic damage I'm not new to that.

The only thing that's bothering me is that the trailer hitch hit the frame on the driver's side. It pushed it back a couple of inches. The spot welds broke which kept the fender from getting bent. I've got to have that pulled back into shape before I can do anything.

I know it's just another Monte but she's my Monte. We've been together for 15 years. I bought her new off the showroom floor. She got me through college and into a really good career. I've got the time, money, and knowledge. So basically, I'm here for parts and moral support.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

5th gens are fairly cheap, maybe go buy one and take the parts you need off of it?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

There are plenty of parts for it since you can even use lumina parts for it to.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM

Plan B is to get a complete car to part out. I'm going to start with the local junkyards once the insurance gets sorted. The local craigslist seems to think these 5th gens are made of gold. 3k for a running 99 and 1500 for a 95 with a blown motor.

Maybe that's good for me though. I can argue with the insurance company that I can't get an exact replacement for my car for less than three thousand.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sucks man. Don't be surprised if they try to total it out

Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Wow, that sucks man. It looks like the airbags didn't pop though, so that's a plus. Hopefully you're able to get it repaired again. It's rare for someone to appreciate a 5th gen.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly, that front end damage alone probably would have totaled the car. Careful what you tell the insurance company in terms of what they're selling for.. if you tell them too much they may want to charge you that to get it back when they do total it.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM

I'm glad the airbags didn't go. If they had then I know I'd be in trouble. It really wasn't that hard a hit. If it had been a smaller car instead of two large SUVs I expect I would have just some bumper damage. They bypassed my bumpers and nailed the sheetmetal. I've always loved Monte Carlos. I grew up with my father's 76 so when I saw mine on the lot back in 99 I knew I wanted her. I'm using the 86 I bought to restore as my replacement daily driver now. I miss the radio and ac but she's a good car too. Thank you for the advice Red04, I hadn't thought about that.

I've been going through the car a little more carefully to get an idea of what I need to do. The trunk pan between the spare tire and trunk latch will need to be replaced. That may be a harder part to locate. I'm not looking forward to trying to drill out one at a junkyard. It's just spot welded on though so its no big deal to reinstall. As soon as I get a day off I'm heading to the local yards to see if there's anything there I can use.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kenny_Z
My baby's been hurt.

That black jeep hit me and pushed me into the Tahoe. I'm still waiting on the insurance to let me know what they're planning. The body shop already told me to expect them to want to total the car. No matter what I am keeping my girl. I drove her home after this and drove her out to the bodyshop. She felt the same. No drifting or odd tracking. It's all cosmetic damage I'm not new to that.

The only thing that's bothering me is that the trailer hitch hit the frame on the driver's side. It pushed it back a couple of inches. The spot welds broke which kept the fender from getting bent. I've got to have that pulled back into shape before I can do anything.

I know it's just another Monte but she's my Monte. We've been together for 15 years. I bought her new off the showroom floor. She got me through college and into a really good career. I've got the time, money, and knowledge. So basically, I'm here for parts and moral support.
Well that Sucks!! sorry that it happened, a few years ago I was taking a class for firearms safety and the instructor had told all the Women and Men in the class that they needed to be aware of Car Jackers and that when you stop behind another vehicle to leave space for a getaway. Sometimes you can do that.
When I was about 24 I had a Brand new Chevelle SS and was cruising the city lights and we were in this big long line and when the light turned green no one moved but the guy behind me, who hit me in the A**. I was immediately enraged, got out the Car and headed back to see what had been done, my girl friend was yelling at me not to hit the guy! Well the Cop pulled up cause he was in this traffic to and I said this Idiot hit me. The guy that hit me took a swing at me then and before the Cop to stop him I decked the guy. The Cop just looked the other way. The audience of the other vehicles were honking and clapping cause they all new this other guy was a idiot.
I have to ask? Did you deck the guy in the Jeep?? Headline reads: Monte owner hit the guy so hard, by the time he wakes up? His clothes will be out of style.
You have my permission to use that phrase!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 AM

Normally I leave a space since I was hit from behind once before but this was a hard stop situation. We crested a hill right after an intersection and all traffic was stopped. I had time to consider moving but I was just too close to the truck in front of me. It's one of those "if only" situations.

It was an honest mistake so I definitely didn't hit him. He got out of the Jeep apologizing even before I could ask him if he was alright. He told everyone it was his fault including the officer and his insurance. I remember telling him I was so glad I didn't drive my DeLorean that day like I had planned because he would have seen a grown man crying. He said he'd be crying too because that would have been extremely expensive.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Restoration due to accident