Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

re-doing tail lights (smoked/painted)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

looks good! i like the reverse lights.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM

03Monte, the paint is called transparent black, theres a pic of it in the top photos if u wanted to order some. its mixed 1:1 with thinner and shot through a gun in my spray booth...

however, you can buy similar product in a spray can.. i think its called VHT Nightshade.(dont forget to buy adhesion permoter for plastics while your at it.)

just dont maeke the same mistake i did and go tooooo dark, otherwise your asking to get rear-ended or pulled over by the cops... after work today i wetsanded both lights with some 800 grit to remove some of the darkness. clear coated

Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM

and if anyones wodering why i painted my led brake light... to be different

i masked off the inside lip of it so at night when the brakes are on , all you see is the outline of the lens in bright red .. like an oval

Old 07-08-2009, 11:27 PM

hi guy is thi sa hard project to do what level of difficulty do you think it is and wher ecan i get some paint like that

Old 07-09-2009, 07:42 AM

the difficulty level is based on what type of paint you have and how your spraying it (paint gun vs aerosol can) if your using a spray cans, you will need to do lots more sanding to remove the "Orange peel" effect from spray cans.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

can you take another pic with brake lights on?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM

sure ill do it today and post it after work.. if your worried about cops hen that depends on your city/state/province ad mood of the cop.

as i was driving sunday morning through a playground zone (30k/h) i was side by side with a police cruiser, so i rolled my window down and diecided to ask them if my lights were to dark. the cop told me to drive ahead of them and do my brakes and hazards.. after they looked he [pulled up alongside me again and told me .. "nah they're visable, you shouldn't get pulled over.. otherwise i would have right now lol"

Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Default Thank god

your post is perfect for me right now.. ok so i have a white 2006 monte carlo.. and today i decided i was going to black out my tail lights, after my friend told me how easy it was.. i have tinted windows so i thought it would look good kinda throwin off the white of the car.. so i got the VHT nite shade.. my friend said he did about 3 layers and it was really dark.. i did about 3 or 4 today.. and although i havent seen them in daylight yet.. im kinda wishing i went darker.. i already put 2 layers of clear coat on them also .. maybe ill like them tommorow.. but they are still rough feeling/looking.. anyone know the easiest way to make them shiny and glossy.. like the one you did to yours which is probably the best ive ever seen.. unique with the reverse lights black too man.. help me out

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wet sandwith about 1500-2000 sand paper and theb clear again, that should help.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by DCfla
your post is perfect for me right now.. ok so i have a white 2006 monte carlo.. and today i decided i was going to black out my tail lights, after my friend told me how easy it was.. i have tinted windows so i thought it would look good kinda throwin off the white of the car.. so i got the VHT nite shade.. my friend said he did about 3 layers and it was really dark.. i did about 3 or 4 today.. and although i havent seen them in daylight yet.. im kinda wishing i went darker.. i already put 2 layers of clear coat on them also .. maybe ill like them tommorow.. but they are still rough feeling/looking.. anyone know the easiest way to make them shiny and glossy.. like the one you did to yours which is probably the best ive ever seen.. unique with the reverse lights black too man.. help me out
that roughness that you feel is called orange peel (caused by aerosol cans), if you didn't sand between each coat, then the ONLY way to get rid of it and make it smooth/glossy is to start over...

i sanded with 1k-2k sandpaper between each coat (including clear) and i STILL have orange peel, the only true way to get rid of it is to have them sprayed with a paint gun.

and BTW 3-4 layers of VHT night shade is very dark IMO, if you can clearly see the brake lights and turn signals during a bright sunny day then your good, if not your a daytime ticket waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: re-doing tail lights (smoked/painted)