Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

How to take apart the headlight assembly on a 2000?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by shotime105
Are you just going to add halos to high beam or are you going to add projectors?
no projectors just halos

Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You will need to use a product by 3M called "Window Weld" to hold the lense back in place. I pulled mine apart and that is what most different car forum members recommended.

I heated my oven to 125 degrees. Put my light assembly on a towel on a cookie sheet. Left the light housing in the oven for about 7 minutes, removed and pryed on the lens for a little bit. Put it back in the oven for about another 7 minutes and repeated the process about 5 times. Each time the lense releases a little bit more until it's off. You do have to be somewhat forceful at times while prying, just keep the assemble warm so the adhesive is plyable. Once it cools off to much, put it back into the oven. Once the lense is off, then the clean up is quite time consuming removing all the old adhesive. I had a heat gun or hair dryer and kept the glue warm as I scraped away at it with an assortment of tools.

When I re-attached the lense the 3M window weld is pulled off the roll as needed to continously feed it around the housings recessed lense niche till you end where you started. I bought the 5/16th thick and did one layer of it. Some people roll it into a spaghetti like format to better tuck it into the recessed niche. I snapped the lense into place as there are about 4 small tabs, wrapped the housing and lense in a towel (to prevent scuffing) and then put a tightening strap over the lense and housing to hold it secure while it's heating. Put it into the preheated 125 degree oven for about 5 minutes, remove the assembly, tighten the straps (bungee cords) up a little more and then put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove, do a final tightening and then let it cool over night before removing the bungee's.

Work clean the window weld can get everywhere if not careful. The best way to remove it from things is to take a small bit of it and blot the other area with it. It will remove most of the errant product. Then used rubbing alcohol to totally clean the residue away.

Here is a link to the 3M window weld I'm talking about.

3M 08621 Window Weld 5 16" x 15 Round Ribbon Sealer Roll | eBay

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 04-22-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
You will need to use a product by 3M called "Window Weld" to hold the lense back in place. I pulled mine apart and that is what most different car forum members recommended.

I heated my oven to 125 degrees. Put my light assembly on a towel on a cookie sheet. Left the light housing in the oven for about 7 minutes, removed and pryed on the lens for a little bit. Put it back in the oven for about another 7 minutes and repeated the process about 5 times. Each time the lense releases a little bit more until it's off. You do have to be somewhat forceful at times while prying, just keep the assemble warm so the adhesive is plyable. Once it cools off to much, put it back into the oven. Once the lense is off, then the clean up is quite time consuming removing all the old adhesive. I had a heat gun or hair dryer and kept the glue warm as I scraped away at it with an assortment of tools.

When I re-attached the lense the 3M window weld is pulled off the roll as needed to continously feed it around the housings recessed lense niche till you end where you started. I bought the 5/16th thick and did one layer of it. Some people roll it into a spaghetti like format to better tuck it into the recessed niche. I snapped the lense into place as there are about 4 small tabs, wrapped the housing and lense in a towel (to prevent scuffing) and then put a tightening strap over the lense and housing to hold it secure while it heated the adhesive. I then put it into the preheated 125 degree oven for about 5 minutes, remove the assembly, tighten the straps (bungee cords) up alittle more and then put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove, do a final tightening and then let it cool over night beofre removing the bungee's.

Work clean the window weld can get everywhere if not careful. The best way to remove it from things is to take a small bit of it and blot the other area with it. it will remove most of the errant product. Then used rubbing alcohol to totally clean the residue away.

Here is a link to the 3M window weld I'm talking about.

3M 08621 Window Weld 5 16" x 15 Round Ribbon Sealer Roll | eBay
I have used a very similar process to take apart motorcycle headlights.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

great info