Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Exterior changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exterior changes

I need some opinions on changing the look of my car. I want to change the whale tail (flat) rear spoiler to a stand up spoiler. Do they bolt on the same as the existing spoiler? I also want to add mild front ground effects like come on some of the newer than 2001 models. Where can I purchase them?

Finally I want to add two wide dark grey hood to trunk racing stripes. I am not good at seeing in my mind how a finished product will look, so I am asking for some opinions on the hood/trunk stripes width and color. I added a front shot to help choose color. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails Exterior changes-img_20140831_130757470-3.jpg  

Last edited by GTHSS; 09-06-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Thumbs up Super 6th Gen Monte Infor

Hi `Tommy,
Keep checking back on your thread to see what our member's post on the mod's that you would like to `do Also, explore the MCF & use the forum's search engine for topic's of interest...Good Luck on getting your Monte the way that you want it to `be Oh, WARNING (LOL) Doing Mod's can be addicting 4-$ure

Below is infor on the 6th Gen Monte
2000–2005[edit]

For 2000, Chevrolet not only again called upon GM Motorsports for design inspiration, but also to Monte Carlos of the past. Among the traits carried over from older Monte Carlos were the stylized wheel flares, vertically oriented tail lamps, and a stylized rear bumper. Another classic trait for 2000 was the return of the "Knight" badging, as well as a full gauge cluster, not seen on the Monte Carlo since 1988. Back again was the Super Sport moniker, replacing the Z34 designation of the fifth generation, which was a Lumina Coupe legacy. At the request of racing teams, Chevrolet stylists added a slight "hump" on the rear trunk - similar to, although smaller than, a Lincoln Mark. It was a distinct trait that stayed with Monte Carlo until its demise, even though later in the generation every trim level would get a spoiler that all but masked the hump. From the NASCAR circuit came the aerodynamic styling and duck tail spoiler.
Specialty nameplates[edit]

Chevrolet released several models inspired by then-current NASCAR drivers: The first model released was the 2002 Dale Earnhardt “Intimidator Edition.” This car had one color scheme; a black body with galaxy silver rocker panels and front and rear air dams. A thin red stripe above the silver ground effects was also included. Just behind the rear side windows, the Dale Number 3 logo was placed. The car also featured silver “Intimidator” SS badges on the right side of the trunk and standard Monte Carlo SS badges the bottom of the vehicle, just in front of the rear tires. An Intimidator badge with the number 3 also appeared on the dash, and Earnhardt’s signature appeared on the gauge cluster. This edition also came with 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and received GMs L36 3800 V6 engine.
In 2003, the Jeff Gordon edition was released. The vehicle came with a superior blue body and silver ground effects, just like the Intimidator Edition; however, the Jeff Gordon edition also received lighter blue ghost flames on the body. It featured the number 24 behind the rear side windows. A Jeff Gordon signature was placed on the right side of the trunk and inside the car received a Jeff Gordon badge on the dash board and a two-tone gray a black leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift ****. It featured the 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and received GMs L36 3800 V6 engine.
In 2004 the Dale Jr. Edition came out, it was red in color and sported a black high sport kit. The number 8, with an “E” stripe design carried from the doors to the rear bumper. The 5 spoke diamond cut wheels featured a black stripe through each spoke and Dale Jr.’s signature appeared on the right side of the trunk lid. On the sides, the vehicle received Monte Carlo SS badges. Inside on the dash a #8 badge appeared and Dale Jr.’s signature on the cluster. This edition also got #8 floor mats and headrests. This was also the first nameplate car to receive GMs L67 Supercharged 3800 V6 engine.
To compete, the Intimidator Edition was re-released in 2004, this time, however the vehicle featured “Intimidator” badges on the trunk lid and both side panels of the vehicle. The car was all black in color, received the 5 spoke, diamond cut wheels and this time received GMs L67 Supercharged 3800 V6 engine.
2005 marked the next and final nameplate, the Tony Stewart edition. It was all black, but featured a white/orange line that thickened as it reached the back of the vehicle and contained number 20 just before the rear tires. Tony Stewart’s signature also appeared behind the rear windows on both sides. The Chevy bowtie on the trunk was white on this edition and another was painted on the front of the hood. The Monte Carlo badge was removed and instead replaced by the black Tony Stewart grille. The wheels were the same design as the Dale Jr. Edition, except the bowtie on the center cap was white this time. This edition also received GMs L67 Supercharged 3800 V6 engine.
Pace cars[edit]

To keep with the popularity of the Monte Carlo in NASCAR, GM released several Monte Carlos branded as “Pace Cars.” Each year featured a different color and all cars were limited to production numbers, however; all cars did have some things in common. All pace cars received: Galaxy Silver ground effects, Checkered Flagging on fenders & doors, TAZ decals on quarter panels and trunk lid behind the Monte Carlo script. It also has a "Race Inspired" rear spoiler that resembles the look of the NASCAR spoiler, Limited Edition Plaque on trunk lid, Monte Carlo script on the dash is replaced with "PACE CAR", Gauge cluster displays "LIMITED EDITION" below the speedometer where it would say "Apply Brake To Shift From Park," 16-inch Diamond-Cut Cast-Aluminum Wheels, Door Opening Kick Plates Featuring the Monte Carlo Nameplate, and Stainless-Steel Dual Exhaust Tips. Interiors had two tone leather in 2000 through 2002 to match exterior with 2003 being solid black and Chevy "Bow Tie" embroidered headrests. All cars also came with GMs L36 3800 V6 engine.

2003 Pace Car edition

2000 Pace Car: Production limited to 2,222 cars. Sports two-tone leather Black and Red. Exterior: Torch Red with Galaxy Silver ground effects.
2001 Pace Car: Production limited to 1,300 cars. Sports two-tone leather Black and Silver. Exterior: Black with Galaxy Silver ground effects.
2002 Pace Car: Production limited to 1,150 cars. Sports two-tone leather Black and Yellow. Exterior: Competition Yellow with Galaxy Silver ground effects.
2003 Pace Car: Production limited to 1,401 cars. Sports leather Ebony Black seats with Ebony and Gray leather-wrapped steering wheel. Exterior: Superior Blue Metallic with Galaxy Silver ground effects.
Models[edit]

ModelYearsEnginePowerTorqueTransmissionLS2000–20053.4 L LA1 V6180 hp (130 kW)205 lb·ft (278 N·m)4T65ELT20053.8 L L36 V6200 hp (150 kW)225 lb·ft (305 N·m)4T65ESS2000–20043.8 L L36 V6200 hp (150 kW)225 lb·ft (305 N·m)4T65ESS Supercharged2004-20053.8 L L67 superchargedV6240 hp (180 kW))280 lb·ft (380 N·m)4T65E-HD
Trim levels initially consisted of the LS, and SS, the latter being the first front-wheel drive SS in the Chevrolet lineup. The LS used a 3.4 L OHV V6, while the SS got the 3.8 L V6. ASupercharged SS model was added for 2004 and 2005, though the naturally aspirated SS continued as well, but was relabeled as LT.
Production totals[edit]

[18]
YearUnits2000

Total production379,439
-------------------------------
Also check our MCF Photo gallery + our MOTM Winner's Gallery to get some idea's & see what they look like
on Member's Monte's
>Click > Photo Gallery

Last edited by Space; 09-06-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

For the nascar spoiler you get those off ebay or at a junk yard. They do not bolt up to your orginal one. I am pretty sure you would have to drill new holes. Most likely will need to repaint the trunk since my guess it doesn't look to great under the surf board spoiler. The ground effects I am pretty sure your talking about are the ones from the high sport addition. They are pretty rare to find and once a while will come up on the site in the for sale section. I do know there are some aftermarket ground effects on carid.com. I think some people bought them from here and liked how they turned out.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As far as spoilers go, the only one that is a direct swap with the surfboard/horizontal spoiler is an '06-'07 vertical/stand-up spoiler. This does not require changing any of the existing holes on the trunk, but you will need the top of the trunk lid re-painted as the old spoiler will have damaged it in ways an '06-'07 will not cover it.

All other spoilers will require drilling new holes and filling the old ones (might be better to get a new trunk lid without spoiler).

Old 09-07-2014, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys! Thats some good info.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM

If you want the vertical spoiler, I would be willing to sell you my entire trunk lid. That way there would be no need to drill new holes or repaint anything. Mine is silver as well. Very easy process, all you need to do is unscrew the the hinges and put the new trunk lid on. That's what I did, as my Monte Carlo was the exact same as yours but I wanted the vertical spoiler. But I'm considering selling it now and I still have my old trunk lid so I would put that one back on my car and sell you the trunk lid with the vertical spoiler if you're interested.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by guzzimane
If you want the vertical spoiler, I would be willing to sell you my entire trunk lid. That way there would be no need to drill new holes or repaint anything. Mine is silver as well. Very easy process, all you need to do is unscrew the the hinges and put the new trunk lid on. That's what I did, as my Monte Carlo was the exact same as yours but I wanted the vertical spoiler. But I'm considering selling it now and I still have my old trunk lid so I would put that one back on my car and sell you the trunk lid with the vertical spoiler if you're interested.

How Much and Where are you located ?
Dave

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you get the spoiler from an 06/07, it's a direct fit to the holes already in your trunk.

However they are SLIGHTLY smaller and you would need to repaint the trunk-lid anyway. I just prefer those spoilers to the smaller ones.

Name:  IMG00384.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  NoSpoiler.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  Sanded_Trunk.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  Done_Trunk2.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  62.1 KB

Old 09-30-2014, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If you get the spoiler from an 06/07, it's a direct fit to the holes already in your trunk.

However they are SLIGHTLY smaller and you would need to repaint the trunk-lid anyway. I just prefer those spoilers to the smaller ones.
Thanks Mike! Thats good to know.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by guzzimane
I am interested if you have a pic. I sent you a private message.