Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Bondoing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 12:24 PM

Of those 3, I'd just use the gold.

That glass is intended for patching areas that have unsupported through holes without requiring a back side support. Ive never used this stuff, but Ive used glass reinforced filler in general and while its good for repairs on fiberglass parts and spanning small gaps, its not great as a finishing layer as its much harder to finish nicely as the outer layer usually cannot be smoothed well prior to cure so you have to remove a good bit (or top coat with std filler) after cure to get a smooth surface. Its also impossible to use a cheese grater on (not that I'd expect you to need one for this project).

Ive never used a metal reinforced filler at all. It looks like its stronger to allow for drill + tap and such, but IMO this isn't the application for that. Additives for strength tend to also make it harder to sand / work. Honestly you have no need for more strength here as its going to be an extremely thin coat for cosmetics anyways (save for the Dremel divots that'll be only slightly deeper).

Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 AM
1 Year Member

Ahhh, ok thanks for the explanation, I wasn't too sure what each type was for, I'll just stick with the standard gold filler. I believe under the rocker guards there are rust holes where the fiberglass reinforced filler will come in handy.