General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Help A Newbie Out With A Few Small Rust Spots!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Default Help A Newbie Out With A Few Small Rust Spots!

Hey guys,
If you've read any of my posts you know I'm relatively new to all this stuff, since my last car I only did things I absolutely had to do to it.
I have some small rust spots and bubbling, with the biggest spot being on the body near the rear right tire. Here are some pictures of the issues:

What do you guys recommend for a solution for someone like me with minimal experience? Let a body shop take care of it?
Are products like these any good?:

I just don't want to wreck the paint.
Here are two final pictures, one showing the other rust spot, and then showing the paint on my trunk. Are those blotches from a crappy touch up job, or is that as good as it will look with touch up?

I know the pictures aren't that great, it was about to rain so I was rushing a bit.
Thanks guys

Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM

I posted this in the wrong forum by mistake.
Mods, feel free to move.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

if its a mark just in the center of the paint, sand the rust down, on just that spot to remove the rust, use a touch up paint match paint and clear it, let it dry then buff it to blend it in

if you wanna really get into the big spot, grind it down, use that converter on it, sand down, prime it, sand down even, paint and clear then buff to blend it in

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have paint bubbling you need to get the area clean before you try to lay any new paint down.

Generally this means removing the bubbling spot. It can some times mean removing paint around the bubbling area. If left alone, the bubble will turn in to a rust hole.

Depending on how good you can handle a power tool, you can either try wire brushing the bubble off and continue to clean the spot until you see clean metal. If it's farther gone that you will get to a rust spot or possibly even a rust hole. Then you need to decide if you want metal back in the spot where the hole is or try to bondo over the hole. Either way you need to area VERY clean and the more prep you do before hand the less you need to worry about later on.

If left to do it's work, rust will continue to travel out from where it starts.

I personally have never had much luck with rust inhibitors. They just don't seem to work for me. Not saying they don't do a good job. Cause I read every day about people doing body work and stating they used a rust inhibitor on the car.