Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Body Paint ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Question Body Paint ?'s

Hello - few question: 2001 SS - I have small spots of rust starting on passenger side wheel wells and have received 2 quotes so far...need some help & advice from you all.

Shop 1 - remove rockers, body wax inside, prep, sand blast, ect..paint entire passenger side (shop said so it'll match). Monte is Metallic Silver. Sherwin William paint. Cost $1500.00

Shop 2 - remover rockers, body wax, prep, sand blast, paint just where rust is. BASF paint. Cost $375.00

I know 2 totally different procedures & prices. I'm going to another shop just to see what the 3rd says. The car is immaculate and I want to get this taken care of soon - I live in NE (RI to be specific). The front pass side rust is about an inch (wide & long) and is where the fender meets rocker. The back is just starting and is on the inside lip of wheel well. NOT visible unless you look inside well.

Advice PLEASE and any insight on paint - I know Sherwin is good so thoughts on BASF would be appreciated. I have a hard time understanding why to paint entire side...Body guys please help.

Thanx!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Well, just to let you know the color is Galaxy Silver lol and I believe this is the color code for it 12/WA519F .

IMO, i would go with shop 2 just because its less time consuming (that way you'll have your baby sooner) and less expensive.

But if you really want it to look like the rust spot's never been their (that's to say that it doesn't look matched with shop 2), sure it's more expensive and time consuming, but it'll look like their never was a rust spot.

I think theirs other things you can do as a DIY kit, I can't remember, but I think it's you scrape it off, put some rust primer on it and touch it up with paint and then clear coat or something, not exactly sure on that DIY kit, but im sure its out their.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I'm not familiar with SW paint, but i do know BASF. They have a color match system thats really good. They would input the color code, year, model, etc, and they would get all the possible solutions from factory. Then they would go to the chips and get the one that best matches. Then the painter would just have to blend the paint in and you will never know it was ever fixed.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Smile thanx!

JJ thanks for the BASF info - I'm pretty sure I'm going w/ shop 2. As always, I appreciate all the feedback.

This forum Rocks!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM

curious if shop # 2 is maaco, sounds like it

just fyi, heavy flake silver metallic is not a good color for butt matching. and if its bad rust then theres no way of keeping the repair area small enuff to blend within the panel..

also when it comes to rust, see which shop offers a warrenty on the paint. if they do then you know they will get rid of it all completly, nobody likes a come-back!!..

if they don't then they will clean enuff off just to make it look pretty.. till 3 months later and it rots out again

my choice.. #1

Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Shop 2 is NOT Maaco - I would NEVER dream of going there. I've also been to 2 other body shops and they have all been in the ballpark of #2. Shop 1 & 2 both warranty the job - lifetime on the paint (flaking, peeling, ect).

Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM

well if you live near me ...hopatcong new jersey my dad and i could give you an estimate and you have a lifetime warranty on anything that is done on the car if anything comes back our shop will fix it for free!! and hertz comes to the shop the same day your car is put in the shop and they bring the rental to there so theres no hastle gl with everything