Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Black Housing Clear Corner Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013 | 04:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
IEdit: well I decided to tear apart my Depos tonight.....they are stained on the inside from the condensation. I dont really want to deal with the hassle anymore so I just ordered a set with the HIDs
Sorry to hear - your original equipment ones are still looking great

btw, I used silver star H11 bulbs for a while. The light output is amazing. The life of the things is terrible - 8 months and blip!.

Old 03-10-2013 | 04:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Hey well that's good news glad they are working for you.

Old 03-10-2013 | 09:26 PM
|
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
Matt, those housings look amazing! Very nice indeed. I see where you are coming from on having a gloss black bezel, but I think they look trick the way they are. I don't know if I'd risk opening them up and possibly having sealing issues.

I'll purchase that extra set of housings if you are not going to use them
Thanks! I still think I'm going to try my luck and open a pair up for the gloss black finish. I just really think that'll look way better on my car than the matte black and I'm willing to take a chance for that. A guy on GMLS4 Forum opened up a pair so I know how it's done, am confident I can do it and am sure I can get a good seal when I put them back together. Going to try to look for some type of automotive grade sealer, something good.

I will keep you in mind for the other pair.

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Here is a link for Silver Stealth 194 Amber bulbs........ it's going to be a very sweet looking setup when your done
Thanks Greg!

Originally Posted by Barovelli
btw, I used silver star H11 bulbs for a while. The light output is amazing. The life of the things is terrible - 8 months and blip!.
I've actually never had any issues with any SilverStars that I've run and all seem to have lasted a while. I have them installed in the 06 currently (H11's) and I turn my auto lights off during the day so the bulb life doesn't get wasted when it's really not needed. Actually, on my 03, I had one of the low beams burn out a couple weeks before that car got totaled. That was the second set of SilverStars I had installed on that car and that second set lasted me 3.5 years (the first set was destroyed when I hit a deer with the 03 back in Jan 07).

Old 03-14-2013 | 05:52 PM
RED DEVIL

did you happen to get your lights in? I did get mine today and installed...mixed feeling so far

Old 03-14-2013 | 05:57 PM
|
10 Year Member

did you happen to get your lights in? I did get mine today and installed...mixed feeling so far
I have not. I haven't opened them up yet to clear the bezel. What are your thoughts?

Old 03-14-2013 | 06:27 PM
RED DEVIL

I put mine in and as soon as my car warmed up they fogged up so I am wondering how well the seal is. One of the connectors the wires pull right out of the connector. The weather strip they gave me is kind of a joke. But that being said they look awesome. I suppose I can get the other stuff remedied

Old 03-14-2013 | 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

The headlights I got for my F150 are from the eBay seller loktong as well. The seal looked great on them but they were not sealed 100%. I just removed them today to start on my retrofit, and after removing the lens on one I noticed the sealant had a few gaps in it.

The quality of the lights is pretty good though despite the leak issue. They appear identical to OEM aside from the black housing and clear reflector.

Since you're painting the inside, and re-sealing the lens yourself I'm sure you'll have great luck with them.

Name:  20121030_175334_zps55b58e5d.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  119.9 KB
They looked great at first.

After one wash and quick detail, they didn't look so great lol.

Since the adhesive used in these cheap lights isn't so great, it was super easy to remove the lens. I heated up my OEM lights three times before I could pry away the lens. With the lights from loktong I heated them up for 15 minutes and they came off easy. I'm assuming you'll have the same luck since their lights are probably all made with the same, or at least very similar materials.

Old 03-14-2013 | 06:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I should also mention that I didn't use any of the supplied connectors. I switched them out for the OEM. The connectors and bulbs that were included appeared to be cheap and the signal connectors didn't even have a rubber trim ring like the OEM, so they rattled in place. Easily fixed by just using the OEM connectors though.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 03-14-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2013 | 06:49 PM
|
10 Year Member

I put mine in and as soon as my car warmed up they fogged up so I am wondering how well the seal is. One of the connectors the wires pull right out of the connector. The weather strip they gave me is kind of a joke. But that being said they look awesome. I suppose I can get the other stuff remedied
You might want to run a small bead of sealant around the lens just to be safe. I'm planning on taking mine apart anyway so I'll address that when I re install the lens. I had the same thoughts about the weatherstripping so I'm going to see if I can find a similar style weatherstrip to what was used on the stock headlights.

I was actually wondering if it's possible to swap over the stock headlights' wiring harnesses over to these since the connectors on these lights' harnesses look like s***. I'll look at that option when I get to working on them.

Have any pictures of them installed on yours Zach?

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 03-14-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2013 | 06:57 PM
RED DEVIL

I made a thread in the sights and sounds section. I was also thinking about taking the weatherstrip off my depos. I will provably try to run sealant along the edge....if not I will have Justin take them apart for me haha

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Black Housing Clear Corner Headlights