6th Gen ('00-'05): Advice on touching up paint on Monte - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Paint/Body Work/Exterior
Reload this Page >

6th Gen ('00-'05): Advice on touching up paint on Monte

Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Advice on touching up paint on Monte

Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM
1 Year Member
Default Advice on touching up paint on Monte

Hey everyone,

I believe Maniac stated "Galaxy Silver" worked best for him. My question was, should I just touch it up the best I can on the damage shown below? I bought it like this, and this is the last area really that needs help. Wanted to get your opinions and thoughts, thank you.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd just repaint that whole strip with as close as they can match it. Too much of a pain to blend that spot when the whole part isn't really that big.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 AM
1 Year Member

I might have to go that route, thank you.

Would it be worth in trying to find a replacement part for the whole thing? I've never tried to replace these things before, and a quick search on Ebay doesn't yield any results. Was curious.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly, I don't own a 6th gen, so I have no idea what that part costs.

In my opinion, I think it would be cheaper & easier to just repaint it. Even if you found one online, shipping is going to be expensive. It looks like the actual plastic damage is minimal to none, so it should be a very easy fix.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Yes I would use some wet+dry sandpaper to smooth out the jagged edge of the paint and repaint it with a touch up spray can. The lower ground effect for the High Sport option is very expensive, used ones are around $250-300 + shipping and as far as I know original GM ones are discontinued.
Dave

Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Default Paint touch-up

I'd have to agree with repaint whole thing, you might try compouding and buffing, it will still be noticeable but not as much.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I took one off a 6th gen on the rear to try and mount on another car once. There are a few fasteners and clips under it. Remove the unit and sand and fill any deep gouges. GM makes a Can Paint that you can buy and you can get it in 2 parts base coat and clear coat, shoot it and put it back on.

Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.