Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 06 ss rusting out at rear wheelwell

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 PM

update. checked mine. surprisingly enough mines not suffering from this issue, and wow that tranny thread is at 248? that thing has been going forever. glad to hear someone got something out of it.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM

Mine's got the same problem I began to notice the issue last summer, so I decided to do a little sanding and painting. I bought the rust converting primer and got matching paint, probably 3 months later the issue was back. At first it was just on the lip of the well, but I know it's going to slowly wrap around to the quarter panel.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wiseheak
Mine's got the same problem I began to notice the issue last summer, so I decided to do a little sanding and painting. I bought the rust converting primer and got matching paint, probably 3 months later the issue was back. At first it was just on the lip of the well, but I know it's going to slowly wrap around to the quarter panel.
It's always going to come buck. The only way to completely stop it is to cut out the metal and replace it.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
It's always going to come buck. The only way to completely stop it is to cut out the metal and replace it.
Yeah that's my next step. I'm hoping I can get at it this summer, either do it myself or see if the local rust prevention shop can take a look at it (not even sure what that would begin to cost). Mine is pretty much the entire lip of the wheel well so it would be a pretty big chunk of metal to weld on...

Old 12-11-2013, 06:54 PM

I am new to this forum. I have an 07 Monte SS, just put my winter tires on this past Sunday and noticed a one inch rust blister trail on top of the passenger side fender well. The car doesn't have a scratch or ding on it but already it's going to rust out on me? I checked out the warranty, 6 years/100K mi and that's only for rust through, not surface rust. I bought it in Feb of 08 and it has 88K miles. I have a 97 Plymouth Voyager, 16 years old, and only last year did I have to clean up some rust on the passenger rocker. I'm pissed! It's only worth $7K - $10K as a trade in.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

chill out kids. if the rust is under the lip of the fender like pics here's the cheap solution to fix it. i would sand down the rust. home depot sell rust stop made by loctite spray that on and let it dry. then spray bed liner (dupli-color) on top. get your matching color if you want to make it purdy. my jeep got more rust than all guys mc i bed lined the rocker panels and under the jeep to keep the cancer from spreading. im waiting til spring, then more likely if i keep the jeep will pull off the seats and carpet and bed line the whole floor panel.

Last edited by nemesis; 12-12-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jimmz- Chevrolet honored the warranty on mine and it was only a bubble. Go to a different dealer or call the GM number. The reason they rust is because there is something like a foam coating on the inside of the fenders. My dealer wanted to replace the whole quarter panel but GM wouldnt allow that but did allow them to cut out a section and replace and repaint. Good Luck. I think my pics are in this thread but here they are again. You are not going to stop the rust UNLESS the area is removed.
Name:  tn1.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  3.1 KB
Name:  tn2.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  3.0 KB

Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I'm looking at possibly having mine fixed early 2014 or possibly waiting another year. Only my passenger side is effected and it has gotten progressively worse on the lip portion and has begun to bubble just around the corner on the quarter's face now. I guess I'll see what the dealership says about it first and I'm assuming GM will not cover any portion of the cost since it'll be a 9 year old vehicle next year and has 87k miles on it.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 12-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Damn I just read this where in the hell have I been at.This scares the hell out of me. Is this a problem only to MC up north are everywhere? Im going to go over mine this weekend with a fine tooth comb. I will let you guys know Sunday.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Damn I just read this where in the hell have I been at.This scares the hell out of me. Is this a problem only to MC up north are everywhere? Im going to go over mine this weekend with a fine tooth comb. I will let you guys know Sunday.
Mel, anywhere that's susceptible to higher moisture and corrosion, so areas to the North are going to be more prone to this due to the salt used during winter, however I see this issue being more case-by-case as some aren't experiencing any issues and it doesn't seem to be related to location. More so seems to be what conditions the specific car has been exposed to and the unique variances from car-to-car as it was assembled.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 12-13-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): 06 ss rusting out at rear wheelwell