Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 06 ss rusting out at rear wheelwell

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM

isnt there a section on rust thru and corrosion in the manual? i could be wrong but i thought the warranty on that was something absurd like 10yr 100,000mi. id have to grab my manual to confirm this.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
isnt there a section on rust thru and corrosion in the manual? i could be wrong but i thought the warranty on that was something absurd like 10yr 100,000mi. id have to grab my manual to confirm this.
Can somebody confirm this?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM

That 6 year/100k has been an industry standard for decades now.

I would ask that everyone just take a breath. Not all is lost.

1 - Our cars are not going to "rust out from underneath us".

2 - $4500-$6000 estimate to repair slightly rusted quarter panels is insane. One could expect a complete paint job for that money.

3 - GM is not going to extend their written warranty because a few enthusiasts write mean letters to customer service. They sell hundreds of thousands of cars per year. They do not care about fixing minor rust on a 6-7 year old car.

Please put it all in perspective and know that you will be able to drive your SS for many years to come. A small amount of rust at the bottom of the wheel well will certainly not stop me from driving mine...

Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2006 Silver Monte SS
GM is not going to extend their written warranty because a few enthusiasts write mean letters to customer service. They sell hundreds of thousands of cars per year. They do not care about fixing minor rust on a 6-7 year old car.
This is definitely realistic and true, and I agree, somewhat. There are hundreds of thousands of these cars out there. Quite a few people that I've seen do not have this issue so it's not every car out there. I could see this being a larger issue if that was the case. However, there are still a good number with this issue and body rust issues on a 5-7 year old modern vehicle is ridiculous.

If mine does get to a point it's getting repaired though.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 03-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 PM

i personally think a modern car rusting in the quarters in 6 years is a huge problem. yes it can be driven like that, but its complete bull****. this isnt a 71 vega its a fairly new car. the montes were pretty expensive when new and i think that a good amount of owners having this problem is an issue and would definitely effect the resale value of anyone that has one with this issue. gm should show some pride in there product and make sure this kind of garbage doesnt continue to happen. speaking of which, now im afraid to go look at mine. its been a while since ive personally washed her, and living in the rust belt ive battled it out with my fair share of rotty quarter panels. i dont even want to know whats going on back there. ignorance is bliss.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 AM

Hey 2006 silver ss you wanna pay to have mine fixed? I work too hard in life to have inferior products handed to me and be emarassed at the holes in my quater panels. If you saw what these cars looked like im sure you would want them to fix it to

Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 AM

i heard about the 10 yr 100,000 rust warra but the dealer said no

Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 3montes
i heard about the 10 yr 100,000 rust warra but the dealer said no
How many dealerships have you checked with?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by 3montes
Hey 2006 silver ss you wanna pay to have mine fixed? I work too hard in life to have inferior products handed to me and be emarassed at the holes in my quater panels. If you saw what these cars looked like im sure you would want them to fix it to
And why would I pay you to fix your car when I have the same car and potential problem myself?? That was a pretty selfish comment. Like you are the only one here who works hard and spent good money to buy a car? Really?

If it bothers you so much, then you'll have to get it fixed on your own dime. Unfortunately, the GM warranty has expired and they have no obligation to fix rust on OUR cars at this point.

Last edited by SSilver; 03-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member

Just an fyi, GMLS4 has a thread dedicated to the LS4's 4T65-HD transmission problems. They have a list of members, including those on LS1Tech, (currently 240+) that are either currently having issues with their trans or have had to have their trans rebuilt/replaced altogether. It was emphasized to help bring attention to the issue by contacting GM and the NHTSA. Due to the amount of cases, the federal government is supposedly investigating the transmission failures. One member who's trans failed actually got a check from GM after filing a complaint with them and having the trans replaced at a Chevrolet dealership (the dealership agreed that GM should pay for parts). The reimbursement was parts only and did not include labor. Still better than nothing.

I know this isn't exactly the same thing as major components failing, but overall it is similar; the same common problem/defect affecting multiple cars. If enough people with this issue come forward and actually file a complaint it could possibly get somewhere. What I'm saying is it doesn't hurt to try.

One suggestion I have is edit your initial post in this thread, or start a new thread altogether, and start a list to document the number of members here who (A) currently have an issue with rust in the rear quarters and (B) those who have had an issue and got it repaired. Look at GMLS4's thread for reference:

LS4 Transmission Problem Thread (4T65-HD); Current Total as of 3/18/2013: 248

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): 06 ss rusting out at rear wheelwell