Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you depressed ?
Yes, I'm always depressed
11.76%
I'm depressed a few times a year
29.41%
It's all part of life, but I deal with it...
35.29%
I need HELP !!!!
3.92%
I'm just happy to be here!
9.80%
I feel like I'm lost in space
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Are you Depressed ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Ive been dealing with depression off & on for a few years now, never told anyone about it & just went threw it alone & usually was able to get outta the rut for awhile but as of recently i havnt been able to pull outta it, & after seeing this thread i decided to ask a freind for help (or i thought they were a friend) but they wont even talk to me about it which has made things worse i must say, so im here alone as usual with my thoughts which is nvr a good thing, ive been able to hide it from everyone but inside im empty, i deff struggle with it but hopefully someday ill get threw it but as of now that is a long ways away, if even possable to beat it
This may sound lame but I have been where you are. I have had an issue with depression since I was thirteen. Thinking about killing myself seemed so natural that when I got healthy again and didn't think that was it seemed odd and foreign to me. I even attempted suicide a few times. The last time I swallowed two bottles of my blood pressure pills. That one got me locked up in the funny farm for over a week. It was horrible but it got me on the road to recovery. Think happy thoughts. I know that sounds lame but it may take everything that you are about to think happy. Don't be ashamed to talk to some one and if need be talk to a doctor and get anti depressant meds. If you need to talk I would be glad to listen. I've been there. Gregg.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mike,
It's great that you admitted that you are dealing with stress & you are not alone 4-Sure...There's are millions of people that are dealing with it everyday of their life. But, the good thing is there is help and med's to help...`if you are willing to search out the ones that are trained & professional in this area. It's nothing to be ashamed about, but I think you are brave just to admit that you are dealing with stress.

I suggest using the web to search out experts in your area, and search out all the articles & information that's out there on the web on this subject....

Below is just one link that I found, but I suggest that anyone interested in this subject search for more on the web.
Helping a Depressed Person: Taking Care of Yourself While Supporting a Loved One <~ Click

Mike, I'm sure not a professional in this area, but I do just care about people in my life & my Monte Carlo Family.

Thanks also to Gregg for his post & offer to listen/help...
"Seek & you shall find the Answers"..

I also hope this thread may help others that maybe dealing with problems or stress...It could be you, a family member, friend etc....Everyone has to deal with problems in life, but the only way to resolve them is to take action and keep searching for a solution....Just take one step at a time, and then another....Seek Out ~> the answers are out there...
The intro to this thread had some decent suggestions that can help, but they only work if you put them in2 action...
Good Luck `Mike and to all that are dealing with problems, hardships, depression, etc.

Like everything Good in `Life it takes dedication & hard work...It's not going to happen `if you just sit there...
Action ~> Action ~> Action Wish you & others the strength & dedication to resolve or get your condition under control...We wish you & others the best in this area. Life is a Challenge, don't let the Bad Win, be the driver of your Life....and drive it 2 where you want to `be !!!
Good Luck 4-Sure..

p.s. People that don't care & don't help others will depress me , but I refuse to let them win >4-Sure...,

Last edited by Space; 04-05-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 AM

Mike - have you asked your doctor for medicine? There's new antidepressants being approved by the FDA every day. My doctor kept changing mine till she found one that worked without making me tired all the time. PLEASE keep talking to us here on the Forum. If you check in here regularly there's no reason to ever think you're without sympathetic friends. I'll listen to you anytime you want to send a PM or email.

Gregg - it's amazing to find out how much strangers can have in common when they start talking. I've got a similar history to your's - severe depression starting in high school, several suicide attempts, ten hospitalizations, problems with drugs and alcohol, and finally - peace. Lots of different things happened to tone down the depression to a manageable level. Giving birth to my daughter was the important one. Thanks for sharing on the Forum - it's really good to know we're not alone in this world, isn't it??

Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 AM

yes i am also. i get depressed on and off through out the year. i just keep goin and take it day by day

Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I get bouts of depression from time to time. My dad did too (heredity?) I deal with it by working on the Deuce (she understands me) or meditation (ya really) I have been on meds for it when I was younger but the side effects where worse than the depression so I got off them.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
...the side effects where worse than the depression so I got off them.
I know a few people that had the same experience. They deal with their depression with hobbies and diet. It doesn't always work - and it's not 100% effective - but they feel it is a better alternative to the drugs they were given.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 AM

I started feeling depressed just recently with my new job @ Hyundai. I'm learning to be a technician and I've always wanted to be a mechanic since my high school days but decided to learn tool & die and work as a machinist. I worked for 5 months in the workforce as a flycutter and as always, the management began taking advantage of me; (didnt get my raise when I was supposed to, didnt get hired directly through the company after 3 month prob with the agency, worked nights, had to fix day shift problems) so I quit and couldnt find another machining job for 1 year so I did duct/dryer cleaning for a friend of mine for 2 years. It was such a ****ty/filthy job, paid well but nonetheless ****. I spent years trying to find myself through music and working on my monte until I finally came to the conclusion that I was born to work on cars. Everything about the automobile is so intriguing that working on my own car wasnt enough. Im 24 years old and being at the bottom of the pyramid has made me lose faith and coinfidence in myself. I know its just lube & tire at first and its a step by step thing, but I wish I was learning more everyday instead of bits and pieces once a week. I learned to just live day by day even though the thought of depression is strong at times. If it werent for my Monte I dont know what I'd be doing with my life/time. Im so greatful that I found something I enjoy doing and I think that is what most people who are depressed should do. Block the world out temporarily and just pursue that desire. Thanks for taking the time to make such an important thread Space. As always you remain a good friend to us all. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post and helping me with my car problems in the past. I'm very appreciative.

George

Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Thanks Gregg, Space & Angie,

Its deff difficult to deal with, ive already been there once with the alcohol abuse & kinda fell back into that last night, may seem like it helps at first but it only makes things worse, but im glad ive got friends on here i can goto, cuz aparenty my "friends" are never gonna be there to help which honestly makes things worse, & ive tried medication but most of it makes things worse, but im glad ive got the MCF here to help

Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Hello Guys and Gals. I wish I could joke about depression, but I can't, maybe its a stage you get at some point, but for me it stole so much from me I can't find it humerous and I can joke about just about anything. The one certain thing about depression that I hope you see is that it is more common than you would think. I know that I still deal with mine and understand some of the warning signs for myself. It is hard for others to see depression because it is a state of mind and no one knows your thoughts but you. That is why suicide is usually such a surprise to so many. When I was on my depression drugs I tried possibly a dozen different ones before I found one that worked for me. Some of them made me tired all the time, some of the left me not feeling atything about anything. Some of them left me out in space. And others left certain parts of my anatomy inoperative and I'm still not willing to give up that part of my life. I finally found that Welbutrin worked well for me. The unfortunate thing is that each one of the antidepressants affects each person differently, so you can't say " oh take this, it will fix you right up". These drugs don't work that way and you have to keep trying until you find the one that works for you.
I urge you all to keep talking, keep being engaged and don't give up. For me it was horrible. If I was in the car alone I would hear a voice that would tell me to pull out in front of that semi or dump truck. It would tell me to head straight into the bridge piling, or onto the train tracks. The voice was strongest just before I swallowed two bottles of pills. The only reason that I didn't engage the bridge, trucks or train was because I cared for my Dippy (87 Dodge Diplomat) more than I cared for myself. It was good that I cared for that car but sad that an object was more dear to me than I was. As long as you are depressed stay away from alcohol. It is a depressant and only makes things worse. I never did the illicit drugs so the only thing I can say about that is I know that they are not good for you. I did however indulge in other risky unhealthy behavior. I engaged in unhealthy acts and relationships with women. If she says yes why should I say no. That behavior ended a 26 year marriage. My suicide attempt changed the relationship I had with my oldest daughter and son. They felt that I betrayed them by trying to leave them in such a way and also by ending the relationship with their mother. The hurt that I saw in all their faces is something that will probably always haunt me. I don't know if time will heal those wounds. In any event I can't dwell on it because I can't change the past. I can only continue to be the best me that I know how to be and hope the rest takes care of itself. I have to remember not to repeat past actions which can be tough because I love women as much as I love my cars. I also need to remember not to indulge in negative thoughts which spur on more depression on days when things don't go my way.
Don't take things personally when family and friends don't understand or refuse to listen to your depression issues. After I tried to commit suicide the last time which I think was seven years ago my mother told me I needed to grow up. I also believe that depression is hereditary.
Just don't give up.

Quick Reply: Are you Depressed ?