Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Windows 8

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I dont own a computer anymore lol prob wont buy one again sence i can do alot of what i do with my phone lol, but this new os looks to be the new vista

Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree, 8 is more of a mobile/tablet OS but they're throwing it on laptops and desktops too. 8 will probably fail, windows seems to have that pattern, 2000 was a flop, XP was great, vista floped, 7 is good, flop is next

Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've tested one of the consumer preview versions of Win8 on a Samsung Slate tablet at work. None of the I.T guys that played with it or myself were impressed. The "Metro" screen where the live tiles are at is a "nice" feature, but outside of that, the lack of a start button and start menu is a bit of a problem from a business application side. Access apps that are NOT placed on the metro screen become a cumbersome pain.

For a home consumer, I think it has potential as the apps people use "catch up" to Windows 8. This is primarily from the "live tiles" feature. You can get weather, stock info, news headlines and a wealth of info right from the live tile BEFORE going into the app. I'm sure if they don't already, Facebook, twitter and other media outlets will make a live title apps for Win8.

But again, a corporate side, you are asking WAY too many vendors to cater to this and I just don't think it will appeal (or at least, not quickly).

Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

For a casual home user, like you said it might be "neat" (i personally dont like it) But from the office perspective they're just straying way to far from the norm

Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
For a casual home user, like you said it might be "neat" (i personally dont like it) But from the office perspective they're just straying way to far from the norm
I think it's good for the average home user, like my mom, she'd probably be able to find things easier.

For myself, it's too much of a hassle to get things done, unlike Win7. I would definitely use it on a tablet tho

It's off my netbook and I'm back to WinXP since I'm on a SSD and booting in 15 seconds.

Most companies are still on WinXP but they're going to lose support for that here soon. I think Win7 is the best bet for businesses for sure.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Windows 8 is OK, honestly the notable differences I've seen while using the beta are the start menu (which looks stupid), and how quickly the OS boots up. No ****, like 8 seconds.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Windows 8 is OK, honestly the notable differences I've seen while using the beta are the start menu (which looks stupid), and how quickly the OS boots up. No ****, like 8 seconds.
From a complete shut-down? I find that hard to believe.. Although it is quite faster than Win7.

I guess the Beta may be quicker because it's not a full OS, but when I had the full release from Microsoft it booted in right around 17-20 seconds off my SSD.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It's for the new touch screen computers, I doubt any real laptops will come with anything but windows 7
Agreed. If you've actually used windows 8, it's pretty slick on touch screens.

Originally Posted by trewyn15
It's more of a tablet OS, but it will be on some laptops. I've already been running the full OS and love it, but it will be easier to use on tablets for sure

Hard to see but Win 7 left, Win 8 right.

I'm running the full windows 8 version on my EEE also! I like it except for the few bugs I'm having. Are you running into the problem with the screen resolution being too small? I also installed an aftermarket ebay touchscreen on the device to enable more of the touchscreen environment, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it calibrated correctly. It's all over and the calibration feature doesn't fix it.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Agreed. If you've actually used windows 8, it's pretty slick on touch screens.

I'm running the full windows 8 version on my EEE also! I like it except for the few bugs I'm having. Are you running into the problem with the screen resolution being too small? I also installed an aftermarket ebay touchscreen on the device to enable more of the touchscreen environment, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it calibrated correctly. It's all over and the calibration feature doesn't fix it.
Yes I have! Mine originally was an XP computer, but it's 2GB ram and oc'd to aroun 1.5Ghz, so I figured that was plenty for Win8 and I was right, but it was very hard finding drivers, so you can't use most of the crap that it has to offer.

That's why I put XP back on it, I may dual boot my Elitebook for Win8 to play with it some more.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Yes I have! Mine originally was an XP computer, but it's 2GB ram and oc'd to aroun 1.5Ghz, so I figured that was plenty for Win8 and I was right, but it was very hard finding drivers, so you can't use most of the crap that it has to offer.

That's why I put XP back on it, I may dual boot my Elitebook for Win8 to play with it some more.
I found a hack that lets you trick the screen into thinking it has a larger resolution than it actually does. It works, and allows you to run apps, but the screen looks a little squished because of the incorrect resolution which can get annoying.

Quick Reply: Windows 8