Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Windows "7">No More> ? <

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy >Windows "7">No More> ? <

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Microsoft just dropped support for the most popular version of Windows (Windows "7")

Updated by Timothy B. Lee on January 13, 2015, 11:50 a.m. ET
Guess 'Space is gona have 2 get a new 'puter (lol) or a new window 2 look out 'of ? (LOL)
Name:  manlooking.gif
Views: 11
Size:  10.8 KB
Kory Twaites

More than five years after its release, Windows 7 is still the most popular PC operating system on the planet; according to Net Applications, it's running on 56 percent of all PCs on the web. And today is the day Microsoft is officially dropping support for the software.

If you're running Windows 7, this doesn't mean that your PC is about to stop working. But it means that you'll no longer be able to call Microsoft to get free tech support. And Microsoft is going to stop adding new features to the operating system.

Microsoft will continue issuing security updates for the software for another five years. And during this time period, which Microsoft calls "extended support," you'll be able to purchase paid support if you want to.

After 2020, Windows 7 users are expected to be totally on their own. Microsoft won't provide support even if you want to pay for it. And if hackers find a vulnerability in the software, Microsoft won't necessarily fix it.

A lot of people continue using their PCs long after support has expired. After Windows 7, the most popular operating system version, according to Net Applications, is Windows XP. It was released way back in 2001 and Microsoft stopped doing even security updates for the software last year. But millions of people have gone on using it.

That's obviously a problem for Microsoft, because it would like to sell people new versions of their software. But it's also a problem for the internet as a whole. Ancient PCs are vulnerable to hacking, and once the bad guys hack a PC, they use it to do stuff like sending out spam and attacking other computers on the internet. So if you (or, more likely, your parents or grandparents) have a PC that's entering its second decade, it's time to shop for a new one.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 01-14-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Of course windows would stop it. Nobody wants there new crappy windows 8. At least for the next 5 years they will still keep updating it. Windows 7 in my opinion was better than 8. I will upgrade when the time comes but for now ill keep my 7.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Hi `Zach, I agree Window's 8 is crap...

My computer has Windows 8 & I gave it to one of the senior citizens. (Space does need a new puter 4-Sure)...The letters & numerals on his are gone...
You have to say a prayer every time to U turn it on (LOL)

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm using windows 8 successfully (but I cheat). Using an application called Classic Shell from sourceforge and win8 feels almost 100% like win7.
The problem Microsoft has with win8 is that they did not really take into consideration not all devices are touch screens.

Microsoft is skipping win9 and going to win10. From what I read they are doing exactly what I was suggesting with win8 when I first saw it.

Win8 does run well from a performance stand point. My tuning laptop was built for vista, I did a clean install of win8 and that laptop runs a ton better then vista or win7 did. Keep in mind, win8 dumped some "bling" so it can run well on low end tablets.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:49 AM

Thanks Admin 'Jason for sharing your computer knowledge about Windows 8.

Do you believe that Window's 10 will be better ?
(that means 2 more windows to clean) >

I don't know to much about computer, except > how to turn them one (?)

*ps Sorry for the mis-spell or taught for thought in PM in a.m.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Windows 10 is supposed to be the best of All Worlds. Meaning it is supposed to take the the best of WinXP, Win7 and Win8. Plus some new features.
I liked WinXP and Win7 is not bad. I just got a laptop with Win8. I haven't had a lot of time to PLAY with it but it is on a non Touch Screen laptop. I find that it is difficult to navigate. But I like the idea behind it. The problem with Microsoft is that their OS platforms do not take the average Joe into account. You know Joe, the Point and Click guy. He doesn't want to search for what category his resume is filed under.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 AM

Thanks J.C. for your post/input
===================================
Below is from the web (Check out the below reviews of Window's 10
========================
">Hands on: Windows 10 review - TechRadar

www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc.../windows-10.../review
TechRadar

Sep 30, 2014 - Hands on: Windows 10 review | Can the next Windows cross the ...Check our Windows 10 hub for the latest on Microsoft's operating system.Windows 7 PCs to fade out of ... - ‎Why did Microsoft choose ...

Microsoft Windows 10 Preview - CNET

www.cnet.com › Software › Operating systems
CNET

Sep 30, 2014 - Everything you need to know about the Microsoft Windows 10, including ... Windows 10 takes a second swing at the future of Microsoft's OS .....aspiring wordsmith, covering mobile software and hardware for CNET Reviews.

Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft ...

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
Microsoft Windows

Learn how to install Windows Technical Preview from a disc or USB by downloading an ISO file.

Microsoft Windows 10 review - Engadget

www.engadget.com › OS / platforms › Microsoft
Engadget

Rating: 9/10 - ‎1 review
Microsoft Windows 10 reviews with scores, specs, photos, and details. Compare prices, get answers and support, and read discussions.

Windows 10 Technical Preview deep-dive: A promise of ...

www.computerworld.com/.../windows-10-technical-previ...
Computerworld

Oct 10, 2014 - Microsoft's Windows 10 Technical Preview offers a first glimpse of the future of its operating system. Our reviewer takes a close look and thinks ...

Windows 10 Review: Microsoft's Latest OS Isn't ...

www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-review-micr...
International Business Times

Oct 3, 2014 - Microsoft tries to wipe away the sins of Windows 8 with a new OS that goes back to basics. Here's the IBTimes review.