Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Who Killed GM ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Who Killed GM ?

20/20 Tonight on ABC "Who Killed GM"
Below additional information/article: If you watch the program, please post your opinions/review of 20/20 coverage. Thanks
GM's Design Team Looks to the Future

While the Company Reels From Past Mistakes, Its Designers Are Determined to Create the Next Great American Car

By BILL WEIR and MEREDITH BLAKE
July 10, 2009

The irony is undeniable. While General Motors Corp. was winding through bankruptcy proceedings this summer, its products were starring in the biggest blockbuster of the season. "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" features warrior robots from outer space, turning themselves into -- what else? -- Chevrolets.

Bill Weir tours studio where GM designers test budding ideas in secret.

More Photos

For its many critics, GM's promise to rebuild itself from a bankrupt relic into the innovative carmaker of the future is no less fantastical than the transformations on screen.
Watch "General Motors: From Dream to Downfall" on"20/20" TONIGHT at 10 p.m. ET.
If GM succeeds, much of the credit will go to its design team -- artists who must ignore the financial problems of today in order to pave the way for the company's viability tomorrow.

Related
A New GM Is Born: Automaker Has Emerged From Bankruptcy

Fueled by the Sun: The Future of Driving?<~ click link to see Space's new RoadSaucer : )

Generations of GM Workers Reach End of Line

Their boss is GM's vice president of global design Ed Wellburn, who famously sent a letter to GM at the tender age of 8, begging for advice on how to become a designer. Fewer than 20 years later, he started working for GM and he now spearheads its design unit with the same boyish passion.

Located in Warren, Mich., the cryptically named "Studio X," which is the design team's inner sanctum, is modeled after the top-secret workshop of legendary automotive designer Harley Earl, who pioneered industry-changing classics like the Corvette.
While the designs have changed, the extreme secrecy has not. "I've got to tell you, there are very few people who work for General Motors who have ever been in Studio X. I'd say maybe 20 or 30 people over the years," Wellburn said.

NEXT >

Last edited by Space; 07-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM

20/20. 10:00pm, ABC. 7/10/09
Bill Weir investigates the many factors, from mistakes and mismanagement, that contributed to the downfall and bankruptcy of automobile producer General Motors, and takes a look at how the company plans to win America back.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM

I have seen first hand how this affects the community, i live in west carrollton and i can see the Moraine GM plant from my back door, well whats left of it.

Im buying a house in this area because so many people are either leaving, or loosing their homes, which has made the price drop drastically.

Last edited by 03Monte; 07-11-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spellin' no good
Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 AM

It's really a very sad story I feel 4 those that have lost,
but the bright side is for those like yourself that can
get a deal on a home. It's like being in the right place
@ the right time. I sure hope it balances `out for `all.
Good Luck with your new home...You are in Member RJ country : )