Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Review : Who killed the electric car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Default Review : Who killed the electric car?

Well ladies and gentelmen, I elected to watch a movie tonight, to mellow myself out in preparation for work tomorrow. Looking over the covers, I saw an interesting car, and EV-1. "Wow." I thought to myself. "Theres a car I havent seen in a long time. What the hell. The missus has her chick flick and I aint watching it, so I think Ill pick this up and see what its all about."

The story is an interesting one, compiled of what is fact, fiction, and still unknown. As I watched it, I began to realise what an interesting vehicle the EV-1, the toyora rav-4 ev, and a few other manufacturers cars really were, and the pressures of what killed them off. What I like most of all, is that the documentarygoeson to show whatcaused the vehicles to be produced in thefirst place,and the inteviews are from all sides, oil representitives, car manufacturers, and others.

Dont get me wrong. I still love my monte carlo to death. But I would definitally reccomend this movie to anyone. It provides a lot of information for you to absorb about the whole topic, so that way you can produce your own opinion.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Default RE: Review : Who killed the electric car?

[align=center]
`Ian, Member's, I'd like 2 see this film.
I think `Space Killed the Electric Car
by unplug'in `it
Coming Attraction

`Space saves the electric car...Plugs it back in : ) Male Plug into Female Inlet : )
[/align][align=center]Reviews
[:-]
A murder mystery, a call to arms and an effective inducement to rage, Who Killed the Electric Car? is the latest and one of the more successful additions to the growing ranks of issue-oriented documentaries.
- The New York Times

A potent hybrid of passion and politics fuel this energetic and highly compelling documentary.
- Michael Rachtshaffen, Hollywood Reporter

If $3-a-gallon gasoline doesn't make you hate the big oil companies, the shocking revelations in Chris Paine's thought-provoking documentary Who Killed the Electric Car? will.
- V. A. Musetto, New York Post
[/align]

[/align]

Nominated: Best Documentary - Environmental Media Awards (2006)
[/align]Won: Special Jury Prize - Mountain Film (Telluride) (2006)
[/align]Nominated: Best Documentary - Writers Guild of America
[/align]Won: Audience Award - Canberra International Film Festival
[/align]Nominated: 2007 Best Documentary Feature - Broadcast Film Critics Association
[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 AM

I actually don't take alot of stock in these documentariesas they are REALLY slanted into the opinion of the director and writers. I liked the idea of the EV1, but it really had alot more problems with it than were listed in the documentary and this were "missed" or talked about in an offhand manner where it didn't grab much attention.

Things like "oh and the charge doesn't work well in the cold" and then concentrate swinging onto other items. Well that cold weather is a huge problem. In Wisconsin winter we can only get about 50 miles before needing an 8 hour recharge. Where the hell am I going to here? I put that on going shopping.

It was made for the idea of polution control, but I would need a 2nd vehicle to do make any trips and all the pollutants caused when building those vehicles.

Another big problem is battery replacement which was coming up. That was going to be alot of batteries at a high cost that needed to be replaced. The technology is much better now because of it, but in 2000 is sucked azz.

Once again these documentaries are really slanted at one opinion or another and forget big things - Farenheit 911 wasa joke and so was FastFood when it ripped on McDonalds - like the company forces you to eat there or something.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

All the new Walmarts have Electric Car Charging Stations.

I've never seen anyone use it!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Really? Where are they located?

Our Wally World is only one year old so I think it's a good candidate for having these recharging stations.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 PM

I wouldnt know. Up here in canada we dont have them. I havent seen a solar powered skidoo yet. Monteskidoo

Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm not much for electric cars, but the Tesla Roadster, mmmm, I would defiantly take that car.

teslamotors.com

Oh, and we watched that documentary last year in my High School physics class and my teacher told us that he gets so pissed everytime he sees it (he's big into electric cars).

Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Wow.. that telsa roadster is sexy. Nice machine.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Very nice machine. I've been watching them for years.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: rj

Really? Where are they located?

Our Wally World is only one year old so I think it's a good candidate for having these recharging stations.

They are usually the closest to the doors, even before the handicapped.