Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Laid Off Blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Default Laid Off Blues

Working 8 hours a week is getting depressing, though I knew the time was coming and bought a slide for the strat. Though thank-full for having 8 hours its self, and a job, anyone seeing the economy getting better? I feel as though I should go to college for a degree in Photography and minor in Business. Money doesnt make me happy, it's the friends and people I talk to that keep me happy. Though money makes me feel secure. Hows everyone else coping?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 AM

"I live for 2day, & `Hope for 2morrow"

Our World has many problems, and we all are
paying for the many mistakes made by man.
I pray, I hope for a better tomorrow.
I support those that speak true & walk their talk.
United we will succeed, divided we shall fail.
I have `Hope. Don't Give `Up
Get Involved to make it better.
I have `Hope
`Amen

Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man, sorry to hear that. When I read things like this, it makes me feel very fortunate to have a pretty good job!

I kinda know what you may be feeling with the whole college thing. I am going to be graduating in December of this year with a BS in Business Marketing...sometimes, I really wonder if i'm going to be able to find a better job after school, especially one with health care, since I loose my health care through my parents after i'm done with school. The job I have now is great in many ways, and has provided me with opportunities that many people my age don't get, and the pay is decent for such a flexible job. But if I want to be able to afford my own house in the near future, I need to make a whole lot more money...So I just hope that things get better in our economy so that more jobs open up for everyone, and we have the chances to better our futures. Good Luck with work, I hope things pick up for you very soon!

Last edited by MAMONTE; 07-10-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

This economy is really hitting everyone hard. There are so many closed stores here, its not even funny. I am so lucky to have one of the best paying jobs here in the entire town. I've seen people in my complex move out of this city to look for a better place to live. Honestly, the only thing keeping this town alive is the military base and Goodyear. Other then that, there is really nothing here. Very little work.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

this economy really sucks. only good paying work around here is..... wait there is none. no one is even hireing. me and my friends went on a job hunt a couple of weeks ago, no one is hireing and the ones that are pay minimum wage. i make better money for mowing lawns in my development than i could working at almost any local buisness.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 AM

not to sound harsh, but you could either A. apply for unemployment compensation and whatever else you're entitled to (medical assistance/food stamps) thru the state you live in or B. enlist.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 AM

I'm very fortunate that i work in the Home Health care industry, because most of our clients are geriatrics on medicare, we get paid from uncle Sam which is not really effected by our downed economy only when congress lowers our reimbursement rates annually.

im also fortunate that i get to work from home everyday, i haven't stepped foot in an office all year long!
(which leaves alot of time for my Monte, Dexter, and me to have some fun!

vincenti - Most people do not qualify for unemployment, and if they do it is only for a couple months... just long enough to get one last look before your head sinks under water. as for welfare, MOST people have something called pride, by going on welfare, it is like an admission of defeat most proud men would rather be homeless eating out of a dumpster before they admit defeat. your final option was to enlist in the armed forces, while this is a great option if you are young (single or with a family), the big hole in this logic is if you are over the age of 34 (36 if your prior service) you will not be able to get in ANY branch of the military and most people with a family are over this age.

i apologize if i seem disgruntled with your comment, but your comment really struck a bad cord with me.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM

no need to apologize. we're all friends here.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

very good to be understood, we are all friends here, nice comment vincenti, and it is hard to admit defeat in this economy! keep your head up everyone, things have to turn around for all of us to survive! take care

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 07-11-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:27 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Well, I'm totally depressed. It's been almost a year since I got laid off and haven't found anything permanent yet. My Cobra runs out in six months. I a) need to get my fiance to marry me or b) I have no clue. I can't have any gap in my insurance or no one will cover me. This pre-existing condition thing really sucks big time. My field is hard to get into when the economy is good. I just keep applying for jobs and never hear from anyone.

Quick Reply: Laid Off Blues