General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

MONTE CARLO KILLED : ( + More : )

Old 03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default MONTE CARLO KILLED : ( + More : )

[align=center][sm=wtf.gif][sm=ts.gif][sm=wakeup.gif][sm=sorry.gif][sm=signs006.gif][sm=rant.gif][sm=oopssign.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=interesting.gif][sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=boosign.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Above area fewMCF members
Monte Carlo[sm=shootshoot.gif]GM [sm=shootshoot.gif]MCF Member.[/align][align=center]General Motors
to give Monte Carlo the boot, reports say[/align][align=center]Posted 2/28/2007 5:09:31 PM by Rory Jurnecka
Filed under:
Car News, Chevrolet

[/align][/align]

The long and winding road is about to come to an end for the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, according to reports quoting General Motors sources. The news appears to have broken on the GM InsideNews website where a forum member posted an E-mail he received from GM stating that production of the Monte Carlo will end June 20 withfinal orders being taken by May 4.

The news was later confirmed by Autoblog who called GM and verified the information. The first Monte Carlos were produced in 1970 and have subsequently survived six generations. Unfortunately, sales for the model have slowed (down over 64 percent as of January 2007), inevitably the cause for the Monte Carlo's axing.

There is no word on whether the name will return to the GM lineup in the future, but the car did previously take a seven year hiatus between 1988 and 1995 before being brought back into GM's lineup.

[:-]Brief History of the Monte Carlo [:-]
Introduction
[/align][blockquote][b]Although it debuted in 1970 at the height of the muscle-car era, the Monte Carlo wasn't just another Chevrolet street machine looking for a fight. Instead, the Monte was Chevrolet's bid for customers who wanted a sporty, upscale coupe that provided a balance of performance and comfort in a stylish package. Additional performance was still an option as the Monte Carlo could be ordered with the famed "SS" package just like its "A-body" siblings. Super Sport Monte Carlos had one of two 454 V8s, beefed-up suspensions and "SS" badges inside and out. A new model was released in 1973 sporting even swoopier sheet metal, but Chevrolet put the kibosh on the SS package due to stiffening emissions restrictions. Second-generation Monte Carlo models lasted until 1978 when an all-new, and considerably smaller, version debuted. The third-generation model offered a V6 for the first time, but the Monte still retained the arcing lines and long hood/short rear deck appearance of its predecessors. Just three years later, the fourth-generation Monte arrived. Although it initially retained "A-body" underpinnings, the Monte Carlo was quickly switched over to the new "G-body" platform in 1982. The Super Sport package returned in 1983, although this time around it consisted of mostly cosmetic changes. Chevy car buyers loved it anyway as the Super Sport Montes proved to be quite popular throughout the '80s. Production continued until 1988 when the Chevy Monte Carlo was replaced by the Lumina coupe. This was not to be the end, however, as the Lumina coupe became the Monte Carlo once again in 1995. At this point the Monte Carlo had been softened and rehashe

Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: GM to give MONTE CARLO the BOOT : (

is this going to be a forever thing though like it was last time, or like when they stopped making the impalla after 96 then they started making it again in the early 2000's, this is all i wonder..i think demand will be too much for these cars and they're going to have to start making it again..

i think its stupid that they discontinue sucha great car, dont understand where they get their reasoning from...but then maybe people are starting to lean towards the 4 door car more now...maybe if they sport up the impala a bit with the 5.3l engine in it they will be ok

i love my monte, and i'm happy i have one before they discontinue them...might be worth more some day

Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]If you want a Monte Carlo SS V-8, you better get one Now ![/align][align=center]or[/align][align=center]Settle for a 4-door Impala SS[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2006 Chevrolet Impala SS Review[/align][align=center]by[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click below to read article on 06 Impala SS [:-][/align][align=center]http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...10/207109.html[/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Me Im not a 4 door car lover......
Had my share of 4 door cars when the kids were growing up.....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 4 DOOR SPORTS CAR........ YOU CAN CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT BUT A 4 DOOR CAR IS A FAMILY CAR...... ALWAYS HAVE BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE.......

THAT IS MY .02 CENTS.....

Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Wiz Kidd - I agreed with you man... I am glad I have my Monte Carlo, I enjoy the H--L out of it and will continue to enjoy for many years to come. I owned once a 1987 Monte Carlo LS, but had to get rid of it because of transmission, fuel injectorsand power steering problems. Spent too much in repairs and it seem like never go away. Fix one thing and another went bad...

Bottom line: If the Montes are kept clean and good riding conditions, they will be worth lots of money over the years. I think this is the same for any car. Just keep them Kleen

MC2K

Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

there is a lot of reasoning to the demise of the MC. too much to post probably. But this is to make wave for the zeta RWD cars and more specific the Camaro and eventually the next gen Impala. There are rumors as to if there will be another MC anytime soon, and each view has good points. As of now, don't be surprised if it's another 5+ years or if it will return at all. There may be another full size coupe to run alongside the next gen Impala and possible GTO but it's all speculation at this point.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Well, I figgured it was going to be sooner or later. Doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

But in retrospect my model was theONLY year, and one of only two trim levels to recieve the 3.9L engine. With the Monte getting the axe, then this car is definately one of few, so the 3LT pkg and the LTZ pkg probably have the most to gain. Allthough the SS already has a (overly) high resale, so it will definately gain from it as well. I wonder if it's possible to find out how many 3.9L Montes were actually made?

Now I just wish I could afford to garage it and get another daily driver... lol!

Now eventually Chevy Racing is going to need a nomature to put on the (soon to be cookie-cutter) racing bodies... I mean I don't think they'd use the Impala, and the Camaro (if it comes back) doesn't look anything close to the stock-car bodies. Hrrrm.... I swear if they call it a Cobalt I will sell everything chevy I own and never touch anything chevy again.... lol

Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM

My 2006 SS has seen more garage time then driving time. I only have 3000 km's on it and my Supercharged Cobalt is my daily driver. Hate to say it, but my Stage II Cobalt will kick the **** out of my Monte SS. Definitely a Horsepower to weight thing! Both very different cars... I love them both for what they are. My Monte will be a weekend warrior type of car. I already know how many of my Monte were made in canada as I used GM's vintage vehicle service. Definitely they are ararity in Canada even though they are made here! I hate to say this, but the units sold are so low, it just makes sense for Gm to cancel it. Sad but true.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 PM

Did GM ever advertise for the monte because i have never seen anything about it on the tv or anywhere else but ihave seenthe impala and a whole bunch of other stuff on the tv but not the monte?

i think that it will be back in the next ten years but maybe thats just me (i at least hope so)

Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 AM

Nothing against cobalts, I justhave bad blood against GM's small cars. The first vehicle I owned (95 beretta) was a definate lemon. I'd probably have finished college and be making a helluva lot more if it wasn't for that damned car. I actually test drove a Cobalt (out of curiosity) and it was like deja-vu. I like to have more elbow room, need a huge trunk, and more passenger space. I dunno if you have a 2 or 4 door, but I looked at those and the stock SS comes with 205 (or so) horse if you get the supercharged version. And the supercharged version costs more than an LS Monte with 210 horsepower, more room, and IMHO, a much more pleasing body style. Maybe it's just me, but with 4 more MPG, the math doesn't add up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MONTE CARLO KILLED : ( + More : )