Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What was your first car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by skylark65
**DROOOOOOOL** wow an original fuelie car, thats awsome. i didint realize when you asked about my dad's 57 wagon that you had a few tri- fives of your own CMC. and a white conquest to boot! i gotta ask, whats the red convertable in the backround of the second pic?
It's a '67 rs Camaro, and it's actually orange. Pic.

Heh, hehehehe, someone that has dealt with the Mitsubishi curse.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the camaro looks sweet, and ah, Ryan, you have a great eye for spotting cars man, I'm impressed, must be something you got from your dad

Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

you dont know the half of it chris, lol. im always finding stuff & noticing cars no one else does a couple of my better finds were a '68 camaro with a base 307 / torqflite, auto on the colum & bucket seats, no console. all original setting in a bush 3x's the size of the car, i never woulda found it had it not been for the added hight of the school bus when we drove past on a detour and then there was the '70 challenger R/T, 440-6 pack & a 4 speed! it had been in a barn scince '77, and the guy wanted $7k for it.... never got it though...

'an CMC, we did love that starion when it was running good..... but when we first got it, it had a nasty overheating problem ( at only 20k miles). we found out it was the knock sensor ( at least i think that was it) but in the process the car earned the nickname " the mitsufecies".

'an now that im lookin at the pic of the camaro ( very cool, BTW ) is that a buick GN ( G body?) i see out by the road? and possibly an 80's oldsmobile ('nother G body?) next to the conquest? not to mention the furd truck & ramcharger in the backround. that all your stuff?

Last edited by skylark65; 02-06-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Ryan, dude your killing me, now I gotta go back and see the pic again!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 AM
CMC
10 Year Member

OK, here's what you are seeing in the pic of the Camaro.

Yes, that is indeed an '87 Buick GN, and it's mine. It's also for sale, but is on it's last legs. Body is rough, interior is rough and the last time I started it up (about a 2 weeks ago) to let it run for a bit it fouled out the plugs I think. I'm going to put some fuel in the tank and hope it just ran out of gas. Just doesn't make sense for it to have fouled new plugs. But it also looks like the alternator failed in it, again. I bought it while I was going to college in Nashville.

Yes, that is an '88 Olds Cutlas EightyEight, not mine, my mother's. Bone stock and runs like a champ. She's owned it since it was new.

Yes, that's an old ford pickup, not mine, it's my sister's. She used it to haul scrap metal to the salvage yard. It runs, but it's a heap of junk in my opinion. Bought it out of the junkyard.

No, that is not a Ramcharger, it's an '85 GMC K5 Blazer, not mine again, it's Johnny's. It's rough but it's a solid truck. I'm not sure how long he's had it, but I know it's been really long.

There's also a 2002 camper that's my mother's, which she has been trying to sell, and an '87 Cavalier, which was my sister's, but is now owned by my mother, and it is also for sale.

I was hoping to get my money back on the GN but at the rate it's falling apart I doubt that's going to happen. It's getting to the point I just want to get rid of it without totally losing my *** on it. I bought it as a project car, thought I'd be able to bring it back to it's former glory, but one thing after another got in the way of that. After thinking about it long and hard, I realize it was the worst impulse buy I've ever made. So I've had my fun with the car and it's time to get rid of it. That, and I wanted a hardtop car anyways.

If I could convince her, I'd like to make that Olds into a really wicked twin turbo LSX sleeper. Keep it looking just as it is, just have a 700+HP LS engine under the hood, the trans to back it up and a built rear axle. I'd love to see the looks on people's faces after seeing it run at the track. Ah well, maybe one day.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

my first ride was a brand new 04 ford ranger 5 speed 4.0 4x4, rolled it in 06 and the insurance fixed it. traded it in on my monte in 07. then winter of 08-09 i didnt wanna drive the monte in the snow with the body kit so i parked it and bought a 89 oldsmobile cutlas for $300, blew the heads so i junked it for $200 and bought my 05 cavalier 5 speed as my daily driver. the cavi does amazing power slides in the snow hahaha!!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

now im gonna have to see pics of that GN, no matter how rough, lol. i love buicks, and 'ive found 2 GN's setting that are in about the same or worse condition than yours, which is sad to see. one is NOT FOR SALE!!! and is really rough but its a real GNX, but the owner is a compleate moron. the other is another real GNX, its kinda rough and it is for sale if anyone asks, but the guy wants like 30 grand for it, so there it sits.
and if ya got pics of that olds thats cool too i had an '84 custom cruser wagon before the monte that i was playin around with, and mod wayne has an '84 (?) olds too thats a very nice original car

and chris, what can i say, its in my nature to spot stuff. right now i have an early '90's fox body mustang im keeping my eye on as a possible car to clean up & flip, its been setting under a porch for about 6-7 years now and it looks nice from the road...

Last edited by skylark65; 02-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

Damn, that a bit of a shame about the two GNXs.

OK, here's the Olds.

And here's the GN.

While it is in rough shape, when it's running it will take you where ever you want to drive it. I've driven it from Nashville, TN to my home in NC and back and then back home again while I've owned it. That's a 650 mile trip each way. Only downside to driving it that far is I've never had a radio in it while I've owned it. Also, the car still performs as it should.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I love the 87 GN. The 85 mph speedo cracks me up!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by CMC
Aight. Keep in mind it was in real rough shape when we first got it. It took years to get it where it is now and it's still not finished in my eyes.

As you can see even though it's a 210 I went with a few BelAir trim items. The interior is that of a 210 though, and since we had no traces of the original interior we went with the ivory/charcoal pattern. The car was originally Surf Green, but that color is the same as puke green, so Matador Red it was. And yes, it is an original fuel car, totally luck out on that. That's one of the things that's not finished. Also swapped it over from a 3 on the tree to a powerglide. If I ever get around to doing the engine properly I think I'm going to go back to the manual. It does have a 283 in for the time being though. Oh, and I want to repaint it again, I've never been satisfied with the paint.

You can see my truck in the background. It should be obvious I love the tri-fives. Have both a '55 4-door and '56 4-door, both BelAirs, as well. The '56 was in an accident years ago and we've been working on it on and off restoring it. It was red/white with a white tuck and roll. I plan to make it my custom cruiser. The '55 is restored to original, black paint, blue light blue interior. Still has the 265 that came in it as well. I should REALLY get the '55 out, check everything over and drive it some.
Cool!!!

Original fuelie? Mind proving it? LOL

If the car was Highland or Surf Green the interior would have been green as well. Even the 150s had green interior as original equipment, but I'm sure you already know this.

Both of my 210s are original V8 cars. The 4-door has the original 283/powerglide under the hood. The DelRay.... the original engine was long gone when I bought it in 2004. So I found a guy parting out a '79 Camaro and I bought the engine/trans for the 210 DelRay.

Nice paint on the pickup.

Is that a GTO or Chevelle convertible on the opposite side?

I don't have any pics worth showing of the '55 or '56 though.
This can't be true. Any Tri-5 is worth posting pics of.

Hope to one day get my hands on a '57 BelAir hardtop car to build.
Me too. LOL

Quick Reply: What was your first car!!!!