Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>What did you get from `Santa ?<

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Thank You <

Thanks 'David,
That's a beautiful/loving Christmas Family 'Story
Thank you for posting/sharing
Enjoyed

Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

(ZIPPY02) Greg, here's the full story;
This was my uncle Julie's Bass. He was 6 months older than me and the youngest of my father's siblings. We where 39 yrs old when he past of a severe asthma attack. My father, who was in the Canadian production of "Hair" and plays many instruments, and I had a conversation 2 years later, where I stated that I felt left out because all if my Family played an instrument except me. Well being the Piano, Keyboard and Guitarist that he is he offered to teach me piano. I explained to him that if I were to learn any instrument it would be the Bass. Explaining that when I hear music, the bass lines ring out in my head. Then we went on to a new conversation. That Christmas, he gave me my uncle's bass. That was 9 years ago. 2 years ago my sons gave me an amp. Last spring, I had the bass restrung and the neck straightened. Mind you I still had not tried to play it. Well my Mrs, who plays piano, Mozart, Beethoven, Lionel Richie and loves Alicia Keys, got me a couple of lessons this Christmas. She says I need to play because I can "Hear" the music. I often help her when she is trying to learn a new piece. Even if I have not heard the song before I just know when it is right.
So now, this bass that I have had for 9 years, that has been Well taken care of, but not used, is going to become the new heart to my musical soul.
And That's the story of J.C. and the Bass. More to come as this Old Salty Dawg learns to make it do some nifty musical tricks!

Last edited by JC Colon; 12-26-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
(ZIPPY02) Greg, here's the full story;
This was my uncle Julie's Bass. He was 6 months older than me and the youngest of my father's siblings. We where 39 yrs old when he past of a severe asthma attack. My father, who was in the Canadian production of "Hair" and plays many instruments, and I had a conversation 2 years later, where I stated that I felt left out because all if my Family played an instrument except me. Well being the Piano, Keyboard and Guitarist that he is he offered to teach me piano. I explained to him that if I were to learn any instrument it would be the Bass. Explaining that when I hear music, the bass lines ring out in my head. Then we went on to a new conversation. That Christmas, he gave me my uncle's bass. That was 9 years ago. 2 years ago my sons gave me an amp. Last spring, I had the bass restrung and the neck straightened. Mind you I still had not tried to play it. Well my Mrs, who plays piano, Mozart, Beethoven, Lionel Richie and loves Alicia Keys, got me a couple of lessons this Christmas. She says I need to play because I can "Hear" the music. I often help her when she is trying to learn a new piece. Even if I have not heard the song before I just know when it is right.
So now, this bass that I have had for 9 years, that has been Well taken care of, but not used, is going to become the new heart to my musical soul.
And That's the story of J.C. and the Bass. More to come as this Old Salty Dawg learns to make it do some nifty musical tricks!
JC thats a great story! also the ability to "hear the music" is quiet a gift. I'm a self taught painist and guitarist. I often find myself playing songs the "wrong" way beacuse I hear the music diferently. It still sounds good but its different. I'm incapable of sight reading and must know a song by heart to play it. Or I just play what sounds good. I used to be able to sit down and play for hours in many different styles.... *sigh* ok jc now I just looked at my electronic piano and realized how long its been since I played... I got work to do haha.

Last edited by dbaldwin; 12-26-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dave, it seems that you and I, although a generation or two apart, have quite a bit in common. From the Love we have for our Monte's, to Electronics, (do you build, repair computers as well?), to a Love of music and a neglect of our instruments. Are you sure we weren't related in a past life? Lol Get on that keyboard, let your fingers do the walking to the tune of your soul and play your heart out. My first lesson is on Jan 4, and I can't wait. I've already started playing the bass line to Chicago's 25 or 624. I wanna play everything I know on bass and then, maybe learn how to play the Cello. Do you think I will be able to do all that before I reach a Century old?
For you I sign this off by saying GOOD TUNES and Safe Driving!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Dave, it seems that you and I, although a generation or two apart, have quite a bit in common. From the Love we have for our Monte's, to Electronics, (do you build, repair computers as well?), to a Love of music and a neglect of our instruments. Are you sure we weren't related in a past life? Lol Get on that keyboard, let your fingers do the walking to the tune of your soul and play your heart out. My first lesson is on Jan 4, and I can't wait. I've already started playing the bass line to Chicago's 25 or 624. I wanna play everything I know on bass and then, maybe learn how to play the Cello. Do you think I will be able to do all that before I reach a Century old?
For you I sign this off by saying GOOD TUNES and Safe Driving!
Jc I have built a computer or two in my time (mostly out of neccesity haha) but I'm mostly a software guy. Do a lot of that kind of fixing. I think playong the cello would be amazing! But we don't own one of thoes, the rosewood acoustic and 120 year old hand carved/built stand up grand were first on my list, next comes the handmade one of a kind sounding violin (the gold top wasn't the only unique instrument we have seen over the years but by far my dads favorite) wow.... just realized all the stories the Intsruments in my family have behind them.... I could probably write a book on the musical history of my family. JC you seem To be a lot like my dad and I'm a lot like my dad so thats probably why we get along so well! Haha. (He was a salty sea dog in his day too haha)

Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got a 2 inch leveling kit for the Silverado and a brochure rack for my Monte W-Body brochures.
Name:  Brochurerack_zps3c7703b0.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  69.2 KB

Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

got a LAPTOP COMPUTER so I can once again visit the MCF!

also got a new coat and a nice hunting knife

Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I got a go pro hero 3 black edition with suction cup mount so I can shoot some awesome videos in turbo Monte, my trans pan and bmr suspension parts were early Xmas presents to myself, socks, candy, saws all, reamer bits, won $10 on a lottery ticket some money, fox hoodie, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Now my late Xmas presents are on there way, my alky kit, headers, trans pan spacer, charge pipes are ordered

Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

So when can we see the new videos?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mels SS