Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Very nearly lost my Monte and my life

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
I absolutely agree. I'm still pretty young at 21 and I have never texted and drove. My phone stays in my pocket at all times. I have even seen older ladies (like in there 60's and 70's) texting which is absolutely crazy to me.
That's good, keep it up. Even people that think they are a professional driver while texting are mistaken. You cannot look down with your eyes off the road and keep the car straight, its impossible.

Old, young, man, woman, your right it doesn't matter. I find the younger crowd just feels they can do it because they have grown up with phones. People can't resist even writing "LOL" to a friend while driving. Ive seen it.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:47 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Slugger088
That's good, keep it up. Even people that think they are a professional driver while texting are mistaken. You cannot look down with your eyes off the road and keep the car straight, its impossible.

Old, young, man, woman, your right it doesn't matter. I find the younger crowd just feels they can do it because they have grown up with phones. People can't resist even writing "LOL" to a friend while driving. Ive seen it.
In all honesty most of the time I see someone texting and driving it is normally a mom with kids in the car. I do see some younger kids texting as well. But I would say out of every 10 people I see texting a good majority of those people are middle aged women.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That sucks! Glad you and your Monte are both fine. Defensive driving, at least you saw this situation coming and were able to get out of it.
I understand the anger and heading over to chew someone out. I had one instance where a guy driving his family were not paying attention on a residential road, coming at me and hogging the road (almost running me off the road. I turned around, caught up with him at a stop sign and shouted "Next time pay more attention, you almost ran me off the road back there". He looked in shock, his wife (in front of their kids) told me to go F myself (mind you, I did not use any inappropriate language, my purpose was simple, to let the driver know he almost caused a big issue). I pretty much left the scene at that (the driver still had a shocked look on his face).

I had an incident where I was so focused on looking for an address, I was halfway past a stop sign and I almost caused an issue with failing to give the right of way. As I was sincerely trying to shout "Sorry" to the other driver, they already were shouting "A-hole" at me first. I was wrong and the other driver had plenty of visibility, time and distance to see I was not stopping as I should have.

One thing to be careful of, you never know with some people what's going to happen if you confront them. The girl iMuf was dealing with could have had a weapon and felt threatened and used it.
In the end, I understand tempers against people making a mistake on the road (especially when it's screwing off on a phone). Just be careful when you confront someone.
And if the person sincerely apologizes, sometimes the best thing to do is accept it. If it's sincere, they know what did and recognize when you confronted them, it was a problem (they may have realized it before hand).

Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Slugger088
You cannot look down with your eyes off the road and keep the car straight, its impossible.
I won't support testing and driving. And I'm certain I'm reading more into this statement (so laugh if anything at what I'm going to point out).

Can't look down while driving..... Does this mean you never look at your car's instrumentation (except heads up display cars) or mirrors? Each one of those take a split second of removing your attention from the road to something else.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm reading more into this, so take it for a laugh. Texting require far more attention then checking mirrors and instruments.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I won't support testing and driving. And I'm certain I'm reading more into this statement (so laugh if anything at what I'm going to point out).

Can't look down while driving..... Does this mean you never look at your car's instrumentation (except heads up display cars) or mirrors? Each one of those take a split second of removing your attention from the road to something else.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm reading more into this, so take it for a laugh. Texting require far more attention then checking mirrors and instruments.
LOL I am taking it for a laugh, but you know what I mean. You cant stare at a phone trying to type out a sentence and keep the car in the lines.

But yes, even fiddling with the radio too much can be a problem.

Anyhow, after I find my flux capacitor im going back..

Old 01-21-2014, 12:05 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
That sucks! Glad you and your Monte are both fine. Defensive driving, at least you saw this situation coming and were able to get out of it.
I understand the anger and heading over to chew someone out. I had one instance where a guy driving his family were not paying attention on a residential road, coming at me and hogging the road (almost running me off the road. I turned around, caught up with him at a stop sign and shouted "Next time pay more attention, you almost ran me off the road back there". He looked in shock, his wife (in front of their kids) told me to go F myself (mind you, I did not use any inappropriate language, my purpose was simple, to let the driver know he almost caused a big issue). I pretty much left the scene at that (the driver still had a shocked look on his face).

I had an incident where I was so focused on looking for an address, I was halfway past a stop sign and I almost caused an issue with failing to give the right of way. As I was sincerely trying to shout "Sorry" to the other driver, they already were shouting "A-hole" at me first. I was wrong and the other driver had plenty of visibility, time and distance to see I was not stopping as I should have.

One thing to be careful of, you never know with some people what's going to happen if you confront them. The girl iMuf was dealing with could have had a weapon and felt threatened and used it.
In the end, I understand tempers against people making a mistake on the road (especially when it's screwing off on a phone). Just be careful when you confront someone.
And if the person sincerely apologizes, sometimes the best thing to do is accept it. If it's sincere, they know what did and recognize when you confronted them, it was a problem (they may have realized it before hand).
Yea, I completely agree with you. In hind sight I should have let it go. But being that I'm still fairly young I sometimes don't think of the end I just think about what to do right then and there. And right then and there, it was *** chewing time. Hopefully she learned a lesson just as I have and she won't threaten anyone else by doing something so stupid. And if this ever happens again, I can remember this situation and rather then confronting them I can just honk my horn, flip them the bird, and fly by them.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You know what's really scary? When you're just driving down the road minding your own business and a driver in the on-coming lane is texting or looking down trying to get something they dropped, starts to drift into your lane and nearly cause a head-on crash with both cars going around 50 mph. That has happen quite a few times when I'm riding around with my brother in his car. People just can't pay attention for crap nowadays. :/

Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up

I was always taught..Shoot first ask questions later!

Ok,
Now that I have your attention..
Imuf:
Glad your ok. I'm in agreement with Matt (slugger)
Nothing is that important that you need that phone glued to you like a heart monitor! My phone has a function built in that if someone calls or texts while I'm driveing.it has an auto response that tells you that I'm driving.

Technology isn't really that necessary.
I remember the good old days when there weren't any cell phones..
You called your friends and said I will meet you here at such and such time and that was it.
If you text/talk and drive..one day you'll pay for it..With your life or someone else's or both!
DONT DO IT!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see idiots driving and using their phone a lot too. I saw one person playing a game on their tablet while driving once. A FREAKIN GAME!!! I got a game for you. It's called, put the phone/tablet down and DRIVE!

It would be ironic if they were playing GTA while driving.

Imuf... It's easy for us to sit back now and calmly say what we would've done, and what you should've done. But being in the actual situation makes you do things you wouldn't normally do. I know in many parts of the country where your situation might have had a tragic ending involving a gun. And this is not any kind of political statement for gun control. Like I said, even the nicest, most law abiding people do things they wouldn't normally do, when they get extremely angry. I'm glad everyone was able to go home after; and move on with their day.

Last edited by Taz; 01-21-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wow someone was playing a game while driving?! What an idiot! Common sense isn't so common anymore I guess

Quick Reply: Very nearly lost my Monte and my life