Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Trans line leak - '02 Grand Am (the daily driver)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trans line leak - '02 Grand Am (the daily driver)

So Friday as I was almost home from work, I kept smelling something funny, come and go, and each time, not quite the same. Got home, then headed to a friend's house. Got there and saw a little "smoke" around my Grand Am (the daily driver). Bottom line, leaking trans fluid

Got it home, still shifting OK for the most part. Looked at it today (Saturday) in between rain showers, confirmed it's a trans line. Big surprise to me, looks like the previous owner changed the line set once on this car, I'd peg them at about 1 year, maybe 2 years in age (the sticker on the bottom for AC Delco, still very nice looking).
Found the leak source, the rubber line rubbed against a plastic "fine" on the radiator fan until it wore through Seriously! Attached are a couple pics of the line set.....

Had to go to the dealer, spend almost $70 on the line, took very little time, changed it. Go figure, the new line wanted to rub against the same plastic piece (I fixed that ASAP, little custom bend in the metal line).

The fun part.... The GM shop book cautions the person to NOT over fill the trans. Just top it off. Thanks idiots, I'd love to know HOW I'm supposed to avoid over filling since GM was so kind to NOT put a trans dip tube and dip stick on the '99-'05 Grand Ams (at least the 3400). Genius! Only way I know to NOT over fill is pan drop and drain it and add what GM says is spec for a pan drop (did that last year, not doing it so early). So, for now, I just threw a quart down into it, seems to shift and operate fine. We'll see how she does, but NO sign of leak!!

Attached Thumbnails Trans line leak - '02 Grand Am (the daily driver)-img_7867.jpg   Trans line leak - '02 Grand Am (the daily driver)-img_7868.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

So,
What your telling me is theres noway to "add" tranny fluid? Its a sealed unit?

I guess they don't want you to do your own repairs, fluid filter changes etc???? another great idea by GM.

I was going to suggest taking a piece of larger rubber hose and fit it to the outside of the "rub" area... But apparently you fixed it by bending the tube away from that area...
Nice Job Jason!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They don't have any dip tube or dip stick. To add fluid, you have to pull the air box out of the way and there is a big red cap on top of the trans, take it off, put a funnel in it and fill it up. When I did a pan drop fluid/filter change last fall, I compared hopw much came out to see if it was approximate to what GM said needed to go back in (and it was).

The owner's manual of the car actually has a statement that there is NO reason you need to check the fluid, if you believe their is, take it to your nearest dealer. I love GM products, but that blurb is such a line of crap.

So, I'm not dropping the pan to "top off" the system, I guessed. So far, my guess "feels" right