Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Thieves Target Your Catalytic ConVerters : (

Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Thieves Target Your Catalytic ConVerters : (

[align=center]V

Thieves target cars' catalytic converters

They're selling hot materials from auto part

BY J.D.GALLOP
FLORIDA TODAY

Enlarge this image
Buy this photo

New part. Craig Booth, a quality engineer for Harris Corp., points to a new catalytic converter on his 1987 Toyota pickup. The original converter was stolen. Converters include small amounts of platinum, rhodium and palladium, which thieves scrape out to sell. Amanda Stratford, FLORIDA TODAY

Take precautions
Police say motorists should park in well-lighted locations.
If you suspect your catalytic converter has been stolen, do not drive your vehicle because of the potential build-up of hot, noxious fumes beneath the undercarriage of your vehicle, according to auto club officials at AAA.

[font="times new roman, serif"][size=3]
PALM BAY - Craig Booth stepped into the parking lot and got into his old gray 1987 Toyota, ready to ride home after a long day of work.
But when he started the truck's ignition, a loud, uncharacteristic rattle echoed across the Harris Corp. lot on south Wickham Road.
"There was something obviously wrong," said Booth, who realized someone had stolen the catalytic converter from his truck's undercarriage. "When I took it to the mechanic, he asked if I did it. It was just clean cut on either side."
Booth was the victim of what law enforcement agencies from Berkley, Calif., to Miami say is a growing trend of thieves stealing the car part for the precious metals used to build it.
Converters include small amounts of platinum, rhodium and palladium that can fetch large sums of money because of increases in the commodities market. A similar increase in the price of copper led to a boom in the number of thefts by enterprising burglars.
"The catalytic converters are worth a little bit of money," said Cmdr. Ron Bell, spokesman for the Melbourne Police Department. "Depending on the model of the car or truck, thieves are scrapping them out for the metal inside and getting anywhere from $90 to over $100 for them."
They can also be found for sale on eBay for prices up to $280.
The victimized motorists are left with repair bills ranging from $150 to $1,500, depending on the damage and vehicle model.
Melbourne police have investigated at least three catalytic converter thefts since last month.
In Palm Bay, a Brevard Community College student's converter was stripped while he parked on campus.
Police don't know if the thefts are random or part of a crime ring.
The catalytic converters are tucked beneath a car or truck's undercarriage. The metals inside the converters are used to turn hot, polluting fumes of carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide.
[b]Although there are no national statistics, John Nielsen, the national director of the Approved Auto Repair for the AAA auto club,

Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Thieves Target Your Catalytic ConVerters : (

they've been doing that for years.....

Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

they've been doing that for years.....
[/align][align=center]How many years Duane -COWboy ?[/align][align=center]What is your source of information ?[/align][align=center]Thanks Duane for your informative statement.[/align][align=center]So, I guess that means we are a tolerant society, or we don't care ?[/align][align=center]Or aren't we able to catch/stop the thieve's ?[/align][align=center]I know what I would do `if someone tried to steal mine : )[/align][align=center]Do you think we should cut the thief's arms `off ? [/align][align=center]I will steal no more : ([/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i remember there was a big thing about 5 years ago around here over stolen catalytic converters... all the older people were talking about how it was kind of a fad that comes and goes every 5 years or so.....i guess the chemicals in them are really worth crawling under a car with a hacksaw. my dad says when they first were put into cars there was alot of people going around stealing them

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Around here catalytic converter thefts are not as big a problem as car electronics (DVD's, nav systems, stereos, etc) and airbag thefts. Cars are being broken into for the airbags a lot around here.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

[align=center]Member `Taz, it's sad that our society is haunted[/align][align=center]by the criminal element : ([/align][align=center]Sometimes I wonder if it's worth having a nice car when [/align][align=center]you have to keep an eye `itall the timeto protect it from those that[/align][align=center]will steal your parts, or bang on your Monte : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I think it's sad that there are people that take what[/align][align=center]is not theirs : ([/align][align=center]I am thankful that my grandfather instilled the principles[/align][align=center]of right & wrong, good and bad in his lessons to me.[/align][align=center]Hepractices, what he has taught me.[/align][align=center]I follow his teaching's.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I can understand someone stealing food to feed their[/align][align=center]family/children, after they have exhausted all other resources.[/align][align=center]But, I don't understandthose that steal instead ofworking for[/align][align=center]what they need, want or desire : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I was taught if you wanted something in life, that you were[/align][align=center]going to have to give up to get it, not take it from others.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It's sad that the honest people in our World have to [/align][align=center]invest a lot of their money to protect their possessions.[/align][align=center]One of my business professor's states that the Security [/align][align=center]Business is growing in our country, and that it's a great[/align][align=center]business to consider.[/align][align=center]From my past U.S. History course, I think I would have[/align][align=center]liked living in the 40's - 50's, when families did not have to [/align][align=center]lock their doors, and even left their keys in there cars.[/align][align=center]Not ToDay ~ 4-$ure : ([/align][align=center]Space feels better now that he got that off his chest : )[/align][align=center]What do you Think ?[/align][align=center]Peace/Out[/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 PM

I'm actually really suprised there aren't more theives fronting as junkyards. I think it would be relatively easy to have a junkyard and strip down all the parts and put them on ebay. just melt down the VIN numbers and not sell dashs.