Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Take a look

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default Take a look

Hey Ya'll... I got an email from a member who was basicallyoffering some constructive criticism (which by the way... I take extremely well, and thoroughly appreciate!)

First, let me apologize to anyone that thinks I may have came on strong.

Listen folks, I don't think by any means I am an expert in detailing. I simply was taking care of my car and people started asking me if I could do the same thing to their car. In reality, it scares the hell out of me to lay a power tool onto someone's car other than mine. So when people first started to ask me, I laughed and squirmed by way out of answering them. Especially, when they brought me a $80,000 Z06.

But my wife kept hearing people ask and she wanted to know why I was turning down extra money. So I said yes to one person, and before you knew it, I was flooded with requests. I'm actually quite apprehensive every time I start to detail someone elses car. I'm still learning... but I really like it -- detailing that is, and I know enough know to be dangerous. So I don't think I'm an expert... rather an apprentice -- that people thinkdoes agood job at detailing their cars. I have a lot to learn, but I am enjoying the learning process!!!

So... if I offended anyone... I'm sorry! You know us rookies... sometimes we let a little praise go to our head...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Default RE: Take a look

Hmm.. No problem. Good luck with that..

Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 PM

Hey man, I'm probably where u are, I know a lot about detailing, I just don't have the time/money to spend on the tools, I mean when I wax my car it's an event... like 6 hours. Simply because I take a break or two, and I don't have the power tools to do it. Plus I'm super careful in the application. I wash inparallel lines ( to minimize swirls) but wax in circles. The wax I use (paste) I apply a small section, then polish, and continut throughout the car.

If ppl are willing to pay you, do it! Just be extra careful, like, most ppl that pay u to detail aren't gonna be dissapointed... They miss the car, then they get it back and they're all giddy. What do they have to compare to? if they've gone to a true pro level detailer they probably will stick with one person, and will have high standards. You're market is probably guys that haven't had it done by a pro or semi-pro ever, and just happened to talk to the first guy that you did. I mean, if you don't get all rushed and do something really dumb it's not like you're going to cause irreversable damage... You just might not live up to the standards of someone that goes to a true pro detailer. But then again, you're not gunning to get their business are you?

I've had people ask me to do their cars.. but I always refuse. Why? simply because I don't have the time,especially when ppl around here absolutely refuse to spend that kind of cash for a wash/wax. They expect to hear like 50/60$ because the dealerships do it for that...not the 120-160 i'd ask, simply because I am truly putting that amount of time and work into the vehicle.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 AM

Hi Craig,
You sure haven't offended me : ) I'm just a rookie detailer that
has learned by trial & error.
Below is a link about detail supplies/school/equipment to
give you some idea's infor.
Good Luck.
[:-]

Old 10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If ppl are willing to pay you, do it! Just be extra careful, like, most ppl that pay u to detail aren't gonna be dissapointed... They miss the car, then they get it back and they're all giddy. What do they have to compare to? if they've gone to a true pro level detailer they probably will stick with one person, and will have high standards. You're market is probably guys that haven't had it done by a pro or semi-pro ever, and just happened to talk to the first guy that you did. I mean, if you don't get all rushed and do something really dumb it's not like you're going to cause irreversable damage... You just might not live up to the standards of someone that goes to a true pro detailer. But then again, you're not gunning to get their business are you?

Could this also be an expense thing?
What I mean is sure there's other people out there detailing cars for customers. But they also charge more to do the same job.

I'm not sure if I would be considered a rookie or not? I've been detailing cars for over 30 years now and even got paid to do a couple cars for other people over the years. I just prefer to stay away from other people's cars cause I know how picky I am with mine.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM

You certainly haven't offended me, Blackie. One thing I know is that experience is the best teacher, and it sounds to me like you've got plenty of that. You keep right on posting your opinions on detailing, my friend...I look forward to them.