Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Sound`Off<

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would sound off about things I do not take to, but they mostly deal with our loss of privacy in every aspect of life we as U.S. citizens believed we would alway have. Kids being born today will never know what it was like to not have everything they are about not being monitored and recorded. Thats all I have to say about that with out going off on a tangent. Thankfully lately one "Whistle Blower" stepped up to the plate and tried to level the playing field.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks Mr 'Zippy > 'Greg for your words/thoughts/posts.

Yes, it is difficult to seek privacy in 2day's world & within the World Wide Web. I am not in the position to know everything that has been revealed by Edward Snowden & I don't have enough information to fairly judge his actions.

I have been neglectful in keeping up with the national & world news. New years resolution is to do a better 'job of mastering my time (4 more fun: ) LOL...

Thanks again for your contributions...I enjoy reading your words/thoughts. I've learned to listen to those that have gone before me > I've learned much from my senior beachbum family...The more I travel in life, their teachings become 'true...Peace/Out Bum'Mike

News for snowden in russia

• Washington Post ‎- 1 day ago
    Russia granted him temporary asylum on Aug. 1, but Snowdenremains a target of surpassing interest to the intelligence services whose ...

Old 12-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Unhappy PMS -> Poor Me Syndrome <

The Poor Me Syndrome or PMS on the MCF ? Sound 'Off (lol) Do U have PMS ? > ?

I keep seeing so many unhappy people in life & on the web. No one seems to search for the answers to their problem(s)...The web has a lot of information to help, but one has to take the time to search & apply.. I'm just Sounding 'Off & I hope some of my posts helps others...Sharing is Caring..."Got 2 care about 'self, b-4 U can care about others" `amen

Author: Byron Pulsifer,

For those who think that they are owed a living, a better job, or a bigger home or a flashy new vehicle, I have some bad news. That bad news is that you are not owed any in life. And, for those who think that they are not lucky and that is the reason others are getting ahead, I also have some bad news.

The real facts are these: luck is what you make yourself, and that luck comes from being prepared to take advantage of any opportunity that is available.

Don't Catch This
Unfortunately, there is something that is going around and you must ensure that you inoculate yourself from it - it's called the 'poor me syndrome'. Now, for some, they already have build up an adequate immune system that fights or wards off this syndrome but even the best prepared can fall victim to its trap from time to time. Even those who, at first glance, have enough, that is, a great home, car, family, health and so on, may be its' victim.

Let Me Explain
Several years ago, there were two friends who had attended the same high school and graduated at the same time. One decided that the best way to success was to go on to university and then onto graduate school to obtain their degrees that would allow the to obtain a well paying position within the government.

The other decided that the way to success was not to work for somebody else but to go into business. He decided that short course as a barber would get him started so that any money he could save would be invested into real estate.

Fifteen Years Later
The one who decided to go onto university had a successful career in government, owned his own home fully, had a growing family, had his health and was considered by many of his friends as very fortunate and well off.

The other who decided to . . . . .
go into business had a constantly growing barber business, and instead of investing time and money into a university education, had invested in real estate. He now owned several apartment buildings, had his own home and was considered very well off.

Who Was More Successful?
Who made the right choice? The person who went to university had everything a lot of others would really be happy to have but he wasn't. Every time he spoke to his friends, he would complain that the other person was much more successful, had several apartment buildings and was worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars. His possessions, in his mind, were much lessthan his high school friend who hadn't wasted his time going to university, and was always caught in the 'poor me syndrome'.

The other person who went into the barber business and now owned several apartment buildings was very happy with his life andwhat he had accomplished feeling very fortunate that his strategy had been successful.

One could argue that they were both successful but the one who complained constantly was never satisfied with his life; was always comparinghimself to someone else who had more monetary worth, and chastised himself for spending far too much time in school.

Dollars and Cents
If you determine your success through dollars and cents, then you will never be happy. The more you have, the more you want because there is always someone who has more, who has a bigger house, a fancy car, a cottage, or can avoid the daily grind of going to work in a nine to five job. Is happiness simply a dollar equation then? Well, for one person it was but this type of person will never know thereal happiness in life. There is never enough in their mind and where health, family and peace within are never counted as the biggest kind of wealth there is, nor where being happy with where you are in life, being grateful for what you have in non-monetary terms.

The really sad part of this story is that the person who went on to university is still unhappy, still caught in the 'poor me syndrome'.

Ask Yourself This Question
What really makes you happy in life? Is happiness equated to wealth, money, possessions, or is it value you find in doing your job well, having a loving family, your health, and an inner peace?

"I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it. The man who can smile at his breaks and grab his chances gets on."

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-29-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Question Are Your Blessings Visible

Are Your Blessings Visible

Author: Byron Pulsifer, © 2007
Why is it that we are always complaining?

Have you ever caught yourself saying any of these things: there just isn't enough money to go around, the taxes keep going up, my work is driving me batty, we can't seem to get ahead?

For those of us who are fortunate enough to live in a democratic society, we often complain about the smallest issues.

And, they are small issues when you take a moment and put yourself in a place where weekly suicide bombers kill at will.

And, isn't it just a little sad to think that we often here those around us, or ourselves, complain as though we lived in a war torn society where families are never sure if they'll have enough food for a few more days, or even if they'll be alive to see their children grow.

Why Is This ?
Do you think that this is because we take for granted what we have?

Do we expect more only to satisfy are self-serving interests?

Our blessings, in a free society, are visible when we step back and survey the world around us.

Our blessings are invisible, however, if we are only self-serving. Undoubtedly, there are some issues over which you have little or no control.

So what can be done? >

For Every Problem There Is A Solution

Do we moan and complain, or do we get up from our padded chairs and look beyond the issue and strive for the solution.

For each problem we face, we have . . . . .

Are U in line ?

Related: "Reflect on your present blessings of which every man has many, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
Charles Dickens

. . . . . the opportunity to make it better or to resolve the issue, or to work toward a positive change. We aren't beaten to the ground, we are not incarcerated for trying to make changes, and we aren't cast out to live a nomad's life.

No More "Poor Me"
It is far too easy to cry "poor me" than to set yourself into motion by taking action.

Yes, blessings are everywhere if we have the insight to open our eyes. Problems are everywhere yet they pail in comparison to the plight of hundreds of thousands of others less fortunate.

If you have a job you don't like, at least you have a job. If your job is driving you batty, stop complaining and take action to either change your job environment, or find another job.

If you don't have the skills to get a better job, whom should you blame? Take responsibility and accept the blame.

After all, you have the choice - you are blessed with the opportunity to acquire new skills from thousands of schools, or courses to chose from.

What Do You See?
Blessings are real and visible when viewed from cleansed eyes; eyes that can see possibilities, not problems, eyes that can see opportunities, not spite, eyes that can see new days ahead not a life filled with excuses.

Before you cry "foul", think about all the blessings that are visible. Each day is a new day, a day to start with positive actions based on the blessings you have.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-29-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 AM
Cool >That's my Story< > What's yours ?

Thats My Story

Author: Byron Pulsifer
The common theme in each of these stories cause some of us to despair, some of us to want to shun that person, some of us to want to leap to their rescue, and some of us to count our blessings.

So what is the common theme? It is crosses. Each of us has "crosses to bear"; challenges in life that weigh on us.

These challenges can stem from childhood issues unresolved, birth defect challenges, challenges as a result of having to raise a family alone, by the onset of disease, from struggling with a bleak future in a war torn environment, or challenges from feeling trapped in a never-ending circle of addiction. I'm sure you realize that these examples are not complete. I'm also sure you could add a few of your own, or from stories told to you from others.

Each of us has some challenges; it doesn't matter who we are. The one notable difference is that while everyone has issues some are bigger than others. After listening to other people's stories, we are often glad hearted to learn that our challenges aren't really that big at all.

Some of us realize that we were making a proverbial mountain out of a molehill. Once you come to the conclusion that your mountain of challenges is merely a reflection of what seemed to be of major relevance to your life, an all consuming "poor me", life seems to get immediately better. This conclusion, though, doesn't mean that you have to be consumed forever by your challenges.

In reality, for many of us, we have options to exercise, actions that can be taken to overcome or reduce the impact of challenges in our lives or the impact of those issues to those around us. We can all complain, we can all moan, we can all build a negative life based on our issues. What makes us able to reduce the size of our challenges, however, is the option or ability to define the issue, develop actions to help resolve the issues, or, at the very least, seek help from friends, relatives, colleagues, MCF Member's or professional organizations to give us guidance to move through and beyond our problems.

Make no mistake. Your life will be full of some type of challenges to bear. Each point in our lives will reveal new concerns.

The important point, however, is that there is most likely a way to reduce, change, or alter these challenges down to bite size chunks not mountains that can't be climbed. If you find that you are dwelling far too much on your challenges, one of the most effective ways to reduce to these to minor inconveniences of life is to build a separate mountain composed of all your blessings, all the positive aspects of your life. When you climb out of your "poor me" attitude, your mountain of "blessings" compared to your mountain of "challenges" will allow you to rise above the clouds to a sunnier view of life.

Challenges are common in every person's life although to look at other people this may not be obvious. For these people, though, they face their own demons if you will; demons that cause them to question their own life and its values.

Some of these people we see everyday and we look at them as if they have it all together without a worry in the world. But, each of these people also has to deal with frustration and challenges although they may be different, they are nevertheless challenges that they must overcome or be mired in them just like the rest of us.

Life will never be devoid of our personal challenges no matter what we do or even if we have all the money in the world. This is part of living and that living means that we need to develop techniques that work so we do not become over whelmed by any of these issues.

Without challenges to face, we only live in a dream world, a world that is not going to make us stronger, nor a world that sees us develop as we can, or as we should.
"Be Happy 2 '`be & make the most/best of your journey of human 'life" >Oh, you only get one

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-29-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Question >E-Go< ?

Do 'You ? If Not Why ?
"If you don't love yourself (?) How can you ever love anyone else ?"

e·go
  • 1. a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.

My Talent is dying & I must recharge.

I have a need 2 fill in empty spaces with words.

Many times they don't make any sense to anyone.
"Posted words do paint a picture of me &
also you (?) >4>Sure"

How's your 'Ego ?

I'm always 'Hungry (lol)

I have more of nothing then you 'do 4>Sure

That's 'all, I must 'go fill 'up my 'ego & I have
completed my MCF Mission by filling 'up some
empty spaces on our Forum

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-30-2013 at 10:03 AM.