Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

= = Gas Prices = = Sound `Off = =

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry = = Gas Prices = = Sound `Off = =

^^^^^^^^ How much a gallon ? ^^^^^^^^^

^^^It must be gold or something like that ? ^^Makes me Smok'in Mad 4-Sure (LOL)
The excuses the gas companies use to increase prices &
take advantage of people ~> YOU..

Sound `Off, How's it hurting you ? "Give `Up 2 be able to go where you want or have to `Go"

What are you paying for a gallon of gold ?______________?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Gas Prices Spiking For Labor Day Driving

Sucker, we tax ya 4-Sure...Keep Paying our
corporations, so they can pay us to get re-elected..Thank You!

Isaac disruption causing pain at the pump, but it won't last, because we know that you will run outa $'s (LOL)
Supply & Demand...As long as we know you need fuel, the longer we can charge you anything we want to 4-Sure..
There's nothing you can do about it either...We are in control...We are Rich $$$$, & we have control of if you can `go or `if you can't..If we don't have it, you won't get it...We decide - not you...

We know that nobody walks any more or can't..I've seen people driving around Walmart for over 30 minutes trying to get a closer parking spot to the store (LoL) 4-Sure (LOL)..You need fuel/gas & we got it & will charge you whatever we want to & you will
have to pay `if you want to `go anywhere in your Monte Carlo's or your hot rod gas sucking rides...
Thank you for making us Rich !!!! Thank you from the United States of Major Corporations Thank for sucking down as much gas as you can...the more you drive, the richer we get

Posted: Sept. 2, 2012
Drivers are facing the biggest one-day jump in gasoline prices in 18 months (Credit: AP).

NEW YORK -- Drivers are being hit with the biggest one-day jump in gasoline prices in 18 months just as the last heavy driving weekend of the summer approaches.

As Hurricane Isaac swamps the nation's oil and gas hub along the Gulf Coast, it's delivering sharply higher pump prices to storm-battered residents of Louisiana and Mississippi – and also to unsuspecting drivers up north in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

The national average price of a gallon of gas jumped almost five cents Wednesday to $3.80, the highest ever for this date. Prices are expected to continue to climb through Labor Day weekend, the end of the summer driving season.

"The national average will keep ticking higher, and it's going to be noticeable," says Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst at Gasbuddy.com

The wide storm shut down several refineries along the Gulf Coast and others are operating at reduced rates. In all, about 1.3 million barrels per day of refining capacity is affected. So, it's no surprise that drivers in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida saw gas prices rise by a dime or more in the past week.

But some states in the Midwest are suffering even more dramatic spikes. Ohio prices jumped 14 cents, Indiana prices soared 13 cents and Illinois prices jumped 10 cents on Wednesday alone according to the Oil Price Information Service. Days before Isaac is expected to douse those states with rain, the storm forced the shutdown of a pipeline that serves a number of Midwest refineries.

<FORM id=poll77382-form method=post name=poll77382-form>Are you taking a road trip this Labor Day weekend?Yes, if I can afford the fuel in my Monte Carlo below ? I'm only driving about a 1/4 of a mile at a time if I have the $'s to fire `up my Monte...It sure is getting expensive to have `fun 4-$ure..

</FORM>

Drivers in the region were angry and confused. ""I saw gas in my neighborhood for $3.56 a gallon just Tuesday morning, and now I'm paying $3.95. It's terrible," said Mary Allen of Cincinnati as she paid $20 for just over five gallons of gas. She wondered how Isaac could drive up gas prices in Ohio – and then resigned herself to a holiday weekend without travel.

The price surge is happening at the wrong time and the wrong place for Dickson Stewart, a 56-year-old electronics consultant, who is driving from Minneapolis to Savannah, Ga. this week. He stopped at a BP station in downtown Chicago Tuesday – home to some of the highest retail prices in the country – and paid $4.49 a gallon to fill up his Jeep Wrangler.

Prices will fall after Labor Day

Stewart expects gas prices to fall after Labor Day. Analysts say he's probably right.

As Isaac fades away, the summer driving season ends, and refiners switch to cheaper winter blends of gasoline, stations owners should start dropping prices. "There is some very good relief in sight," DeHaan says.

When Katrina hit in 2005, the national average for gas spiked 40 cents in six days and topped $3 per gallon for the first time. Isaac likely won't have the same result, though its full impact on the refineries is yet to be determined.

The refineries are not expected to suffer long term damage. But refiners decided to shut down or run at reduced rates to protect their operations.

These facilities consume enormous amounts of electric power and generate steam to cook crude oil into gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and heating oil. If a refinery loses power suddenly, operators can't properly clear the partially cooked oil out of pipes, and re-starting the refinery can take several days or even weeks.

In advance of Isaac, refineries instead conducted what is known as an orderly shutdown, so they can re-start as soon as the power supply is assured again. The Gulf refineries will likely stay off line for about three days.

Isaac cut into the amount of gasoline being produced, and raised fears that supplies could fall dangerously low if the storm proved worse than expected. When supplies drop or are threatened, wholesale prices rise. Then distributors and station owners have to pay more to fill up their station's tanks. They then raise their prices based on how much they paid for their current inventory, how much they think they will have to pay for their next shipment, and, how much their competitors are charging.

Prices spiked particularly high in the Midwest because Isaac forced Shell to close a pipeline that delivers crude from St. James, La. to refineries in the region.

Gasoline prices are particularly vulnerable to spikes around this time of year. Refiners keep a low supply of more expensive blends as driving season ends, knowing they'll soon be able to make cheaper winter blends of gasoline.

"We are really working with a just-in-time delivery system," said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service.

Pump prices were rising before storm

Pump prices were on the rise even before Isaac blew in. The average price for gas rose about 40 cents from July 1 to mid-August because of higher oil prices and refinery problems in the Midwest and West Coast. At $3.80 per gallon, the national average is the highest since May 1 and well above the previous record for Aug. 29, $3.67 in 2008.

Wednesday's jump of a nickel was the 10th biggest one-day jump on record, according to OPIS, and the biggest since the average price rose 6 cents on February 15, 2011 when turmoil in Libya was rising.

But prices could quickly come down if refineries can soon get up and running. Crude oil prices fell Wednesday and wholesale gasoline prices fell the past two days, suggesting the spike in retail gasoline prices could be short-lived. Americans will soon do less driving and the switch to cheaper blends will be well underway by mid-September.

That's still too late for Sharon Simon of Gadsden, Ala. She's driving 900 miles north to her daughter's wedding in Olean, N.Y. this weekend, and will now have to spend an extra $30 to $50 on gasoline for the trip. "Just as we are getting ready to head out the prices go up," she said. "I'm fed up with the surge in price every time there is a holiday."

Last edited by Space; 09-02-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM

US motorists (You) swallow sky-high Labor Day weekend gas prices

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Sept 2 (Reuters) - U.S. motorists hit the road in large numbers this Labor Day weekend, undeterred by gas prices that are the highest ever heading into the holiday in part due to Hurricane Isaac, which forced the closure of oil refineries on the Gulf Coast.
The average price of regular gas nationally was $3.83 per gallon on Friday, 21 cents higher than a year ago, according to AAA. And the price on Monday will likely easily beat the Labor Day record of $3.68 set in 2008, the non-profit automobile association said.
The weekend is one of the busiest on American roads.
In Overland Park, Kansas, Shelly Faught and a group of relatives packed up several vehicles for a drive to a lake home in Arkansas despite having to pay $3.79 per gallon at the pump.
"We needed the escape," Faught said as she gassed up a pickup truck hooked to a pop-up camper. "We were a little nervous about the gas prices rising but we had this planned."
Juan Mendez of Liberty, Missouri, and his wife Ashlee traveled 215 miles (346 km) on Friday to Wichita, Kansas, because they wanted their infant to meet Mendez's parents. Mendez was not happy to see gas prices go up before the trip.
"It's one of those things you just have to deal with, there is nothing you can do about it," he said.
Terry Goode, a travel counselor at the AAA office in Kansas City, Missouri, said customers seem to be traveling as much as ever and have been streaming in for travel books and route advice.
"I've not heard people mention high gas prices," Goode said. "They just make it part of their budget and go."
Average gas prices jumped by nearly 31 cents a gallon in August and have risen 11 cents since Aug. 22, when forecasters first predicted that Isaac would reach the Gulf Coast and threaten to close oil refineries, AAA said in a report.
The group nonetheless projected that 33 million Americans would travel 50 or more miles (81 or more km) on Labor Day weekend, including 28.2 million by car. The projected number of car travelers would be 500,000 more than last year, AAA said.
Rental car agencies were bustling with business ahead of the weekend. At the Budget Rental Car outlet in Overland Park, 25 cars were reserved on Friday, said rental agent Ryan Mikel. That compared to only three reservations on Wednesday.
Mikel said the hassle of flying likely was spurring customers to bite the bullet and drive.
But the high gas prices gave others reason to pause.
Sarah Allison said at an AAA office in suburban Kansas City that she and her husband decided to fly rather than make a 1,100-mile (1,770-km) round trip to Dallas.
In Leawood, Kansas, Diana Weeks-Radke paid $3.86 a gallon on Thursday to fill up her car. She said a sudden price increase at the station was unfair.
"It's shameful," Weeks-Radke said. "The fuel is already there, bought and paid for and delivered."
AAA spokesman Michael Green said consumers often criticize gas price spikes but failed to realize that gas stations that held prices at lower levels would run out of gas quickly and be forced to buy more at higher wholesale prices to replace it.
"We don't really see gas stations taking advantage of drivers," Green said.
Green said the closure of refineries due to Isaac reduced fuel supply and raised demand, forcing up prices. Other factors for the higher prices included a refinery fire in Venezuela and a jump in world oil prices.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM

$.403 for premium on friday in the Monte. And just paid $3.68 for regular in the truck today. All I can say is it sure hurts the pocket book at about $100 to fill both vehicles from half.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

its been $4.25 for the past month....

randomly gas stations decided to jump up from $3.80 for a gal of premium to $4.25...
barely making it this month now.. T__T

Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Ours has been over $4 for the past month too. Regular is $4.29 right now.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Idk what it is here i filled everything up a week ago before all this & the monte has had a full tank for 2 months now

Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Idk what it is here i filled everything up a week ago before all this & the monte has had a full tank for 2 months now

LoL `Mike, the bank must have approced your fuel loan (LOL) It had to be expensive to fill `up all your rides 4-Sure..
I'd have to make monthly payment for fuel `if I had everything you have that need fuel 4-Sure. How is your new SRT 8 on gas ? Does it require premium fuel ? or regular ?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Its not bad to fill em up usually dont drive much as it is, but the srt avgs 18mpg

Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When i looked at the price the other day it was 3.95 for regular. probably higher now. All it does is suck more money, im gonna be driving more and i have a shrinking pay check

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Chicago had the highest gas prices in the country - don't know if the prices fell yet or not. Out in the northwest burbs I paid $4.28 for mid grade on Friday night.

Quick Reply: = = Gas Prices = = Sound `Off = =