Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Snow>Winter>Are you Ready ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Only reason I'm even looking for a 4x4 is one thing. Good luck pulling a loaded horse trailer out of the mud in 2WD. Come to think of it, when I had my 4x4 Dakota, the only time I used 4 wheel was to pull out of the mud. Buddy was stuck in the mud. She just wouldn't do it in 2 wheel. Kicked in in 4x4 and she pulled that old van right out like it was nothing.

When I lived in TN, 4x4s were status symbols and nobody knew how to drive them. Out here, most of the 4x4s are 3/4 ton farm trucks. If you can handle a truck in a muddy field, snow is a piece of cake. Most of those trucks have the same red tint as the dirt/mud/clay out here too.

I have a buddy in Northern VA who makes a good chunk of change during snowstorms. He has a 4x4 Burb and yanks people out for a small fee. Needless to say, he has no shortage of "business" LOL.

That being said, I hate cold weather. So I'm not looking forward to winter. I have no problem driving my 2WD Burb in it, but with the heat still not working, it gets rather cold. I think it's a wiring issue as I've fixed everything mechanical with the heat. With 300k on the truck though, it's time to retire her as soon as I have a newer truck.
About 10 years ago I was west bound on I-80 in NE about mile marker 305 near Grand Island, the snow was blowing across the Interstate. It was super slick and I had slowed to about 45 mph when this Ford Expedition flew by me he was doing at least 80 or better. Well about 1/4 mile away in front of me, he went into a slide and went around and headed into the ditch. The ditches in this area are somewhat forgiving, they are flat and they go back 200 ft. from the road. When he stopped he was in about 100 ft. up right and now heading east bound. I stopped and this guy was demanding I drive him into town and get a wrecker to get him out. I just left him and called the State Troopers hot line. Proves that you can't fix stupid. These dummies don't know how they not only jeopardize the people around them and also those who are riding with them. Anyway when it is snowing and you have to be driving in it stay safe.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Bring on the snow! The mighty '97 grand prix is ready to be a snowmobile, but in all reality there most likely will not be any snow even here in WI until some time in Nov ... or at least anything that I would consider an actual snowfall.