General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

So what does every1 do to their Monte to get ready for Winter?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question So what does every1 do to their Monte to get ready for Winter?

So I finally go back to work full time on saturday, and I was taking a cruise today since it was very nice outside had a good breeze and 74ish, happen to drive past the college I work at and saw a lot of the students already comign back and moving into dorms and aparments and it got me thinkin, yes its a ways away yet but I'm driving my LS in winter and now on the hunt for a storage garage for the SS in winter, so my question is what does everyone do to get their Monte ready for the snow season? I got pretty good tires on her right now and the rims are pretty much gunna be winter rims anyways. The onyl other thing is I'm having her serviced at a Mechanics who I've known since i was 13 lol. I'm getting the trans fluid and filter, oil filter and oil, air filter, coolant flushed and replaced, and the heater checked to make sure shes good and she already has new brakes and rotors so good there. Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on anything else that should be servied or looked at before winte. I was thinking of having the rears tinted to 2.5% for winter to give it a more homey feeling for a relaxed ride when traveling.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

I store mine in winter battery tender, gas stablizer, jack stands and car cover and I am done.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM

what kind of gas stabilizer do you use, and the few years I've been training at the mechanics I don't belive I have heard of a battery tender? I have heard of getting a block heater and plugging it in every so often or removing the battery during storage but havent heard of a tender? May I ask what it is lol

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM

by the way what do you drive in the winter?? I had a Dodge Ram I use to use in the winter but I had to sell it to pay for my SS loved that truck, so now I'm driving my LS in winter unless someone on craigslist finds my ad and trades me a decent Chevy 1500 or Dodge 1500 for it.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Battery Tender - Home of the Battery Tender Jr. - Batterytender.com click See how it works.

I started my old truck at least once a month when I stored it.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:21 PM

oo thats cool I guess I'll have to pick one up before I store her. thank you very much for clearing that up, When I stored my Grand Am GT when I had it I started it every 2 weeks, not so lucky when I stored my old Camaro when I had it no matter what I did she was always dead, found out battery was junk.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I put my stock rims on. Also I wash it. :p

Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i wax mine and put it in the garage next to the camaro

Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member

Actually it is a trickle charger 2amp slow charge to the battery when needed "floats" when not needed. I leave it on all winter Nov - April.
Fuel stablizer brand is called STA-BIL.
The jack stands I have not used in previous winters but this year have new tires and will jack the car up on all fours.
Come closer to storage time I will have to ask some of the fourm experts about jackstand positioning and what else I may have omitted for winter storage.

In the winter I drive Manard my 1993 S10 Pickup with 150,000 miles on it. Currently in the shop for a brake line transplant and rear brakes (sigh miss him)

Pic of Manard when he was younger

Attached Thumbnails So what does every1 do to their Monte to get ready for Winter?-dsc00001.jpg  

Last edited by Tadcaster; 08-09-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte04LS
oo thats cool I guess I'll have to pick one up before I store her. thank you very much for clearing that up, When I stored my Grand Am GT when I had it I started it every 2 weeks, not so lucky when I stored my old Camaro when I had it no matter what I did she was always dead, found out battery was junk.
I used to do that with the monte (start up every two weeks) I missed a couple of times and my battery went south. Trickle charger keeps the battery fully charged low energy (2amps) and keeps it from freezing up in the cold after long periods of non use

Last edited by Tadcaster; 08-09-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So what does every1 do to their Monte to get ready for Winter?