Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Slicing Open Corvette C7 and C6 Seats <

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile > Slicing Open Corvette C7 and C6 Seats <

Hi Member's,

Do you think a good Seat is important in a vehicle ?
I think it's very important...
Do you like the seats in your Monte Carlo ?
Do you like the seats in the below Corvette ?

Let us know..

"Sit on `it"

Prime Cuts: Slicing Open Corvette C7 and C6 Seats Reveals Big Improvements

Our blades tell the tale.
From the October 2013 Issue of Car and Driver

At the introduction of the new Corvette Stingray, Chevrolet engineers crowed that the C7’s thrones come from the same supplier used by Porsche. True, but that manufacturer, Lear, also produced the C6’s soft, floppy seats. Now that we’ve spent some time in the Stingray, we can say that the C7’s chairs have more in common with a Porsche’s than with any previous Corvette’s. We contend that it doesn’t matter who built them, but rather how they’re made. To find out what distinguishes the new Corvette buckets from the old, we sliced into each with a scalpel, some fabric scissors, and a bread knife. View Photo Gallery

COMMON ELEMENTS:

ADJUSTABLE BOLSTERS

At the push of a button, an air pump inflates these bladders to snug the foam against the occupant. The adjustable lumbar systems use similar inflatable-bag hardware.

FOAM

The polyurethane foams in the new and old seats have a similar firmness, but the C7's GT cushion is about 20 percent denser, which improves spring-back and long-term durability.

HEATING ELEMENT

These pads contain resistance wires that turn electricity into heat.

MOTORS

Four motors give the Stingray eight-way adjustability. The C6 has three motors and a plastic, manually operated backrest-angle adjuster.

WEIGHT

The Stingray seat is far more supportive and comfortable than its predecessor, but in this case, progress comes with one penalty. The C7 seat weighs 61 pounds versus the C6's 52. At least part of the gain can be attributed to the new ventilation and power-recline features.

I NEED AN UPGRADE

Stingray buyers can also upgrade from the GT seats to a pair of $2495 Competition Sport buckets with deeper bolsters, firmer foam, and racing-harness pass-throughs.

Last edited by Space; 10-25-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Member's,
What's your favorite after market Seats ?
Please post your link

Attached Thumbnails &gt; Slicing Open Corvette C7 and C6 Seats &lt;-vanishpoint-sm.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 10-29-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Having a C6 myself, I don't think the seats are really all that bad. Sure they're nowhere near as tight as my GXP, but the vette is a totally different target market - so I see why they did it. They're also no worse than any regular car.

Sure, the seats aren't at all snug, but I'd rather them just put a normal seat in there to get the base price down - and I'll upgrade to an aftermarket racing seat myself if I want it (then I can get one that fits my body specifically, rather than buying a one size fits all option from GM).

I also think it's funny how they make fun of the C6 suspended seat design. Lots of seats are designed that way- and it helps to make the car's ride seem softer than it really is (again refer to what the market for this car is). It's old technology, sure- but so is the pushrod V8, and leaf springs