Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Return of the Monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
LOL I'm going to go with Floridian talking out his *** haha. It's much easier to straighten out a FWD car, I'm not sure what your talking about there. All you have to do is apply gas till the front wheels grab and it pulls the rear wheels straight. If your in RWD it is just going to spin you side ways if the rears grab traction and fronts are just sledding. I've had a camaro and firebird as daily drivers and they don't drive worth a damn in the winter no matter how skilled a driver you are. I did the snow tires and bags of kitty litter in the trunk thing every winter and it was still terrible. After sliding sideways through red lights and I ended up rolling the firebird in the winter which is why I got the Monte Carlo. Maybe the ice here in Cleveland is thicker than Vermont, I don't know, but never again will I buy a RWD as a daily, as a summer car certainly, but I'm not going to risk my life or my childs over it. And like I said it would make no sense to have the Monte compete with the Camaro. My 2 cents anyway, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a FWD vs RWD in the winter argument.

I always had an easier time driving my 96 Camaro (nearly 50/50 front-rear weight ratio) in the snow than I did any pickup. Granted, it was a manual so I could manipulate the clutch. Now that I have my Suburban though, I drive it in the snow since there's a ton more weight in the back. I also got caught in the snow in my 73 Camaro on my way back from NC last Christmas (Burb was in the shop) and never slid a single time. This was in the mountains too. It took a while cause I'm not one of those idiots who tries to still go fast but I never slid.

The only times I lose traction anymore on any surface are when I do it intentionally. Last time I lost traction unintentionally was in my 87 IROC on nearly bald tires when I got caught in a sudden rain storm. But because I take every car I get out into the snow and make it slide to find out exactly what it does when it loses traction I already knew the instant it lost traction EXACTLY what it was going to do. Because of that I was able to regain traction before I got sideways. I had it in 6" of snow a year and a half ago when it was my only car and never had a problem (I had gotten new tires by then). So I have to disagree with your statement of driver skill not having anything to do with it because I have taken F-bodies of 3 different generations in the snow and never had issues as long as I had decent all-weather tires (never bought a set of snow tires in my life).

I'd love to see a new Monte. I love the GPs too but I don't care for the 04+ models. I like the earlier ones far better. I doubt it'll happen though either way, FWD or RWD. I'd rather see a RWD mainly for the stronger tranny and rear end. Sadly, FWD transmissions have their limits, which is why you don't often see V8s in FWD format.

Last edited by SupplySgt; 09-15-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM

Why don't we just pool our money together and do what Eagle did with the E-Type Jag and make our own Monte Carlo?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's a few threads around with concept pictures done by members. I can't think of what any of them are called at the moment. But I do have a few of the photoshopped pictures I did based on a Holden.