General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Ideas for when I return?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Default Ideas for when I return?

Hey everyone. I'm new here. About a two months ago I bought a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. Well just this past Thursday I was told I'm gonna deploy to Afghanistan. Air Force btw. Well I plan on coming back with a few dollars in the bank so what shoul I do with around a 6-7000dollar budget? I wanna go the supercharger route. And also...long term storage. 6 months is a long time. What precautions should I take? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well for 6-7000 Im going to say first get a car cover. Then I say turbo if you have enough to go full out. Built tranny, cam, etc. Will this be a daily driver or a weekend car?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 AM

I'd also suggest going turbo/roller internals if you want to go fast. A trans/diff rebuild would also help the car last longer. But if you go the supercharger way, bulletproofing the trans/diff would also be a good call. Whichever way you go, you'll have fun anyway and the rewards of a better/faster running car are more than enough. Thanks for serving in our military!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in Afghanistan.

A cover would be a good place to start for long term storage for sure.

When you get back for mods, if you're looking to supercharge, I would start here:
-Cold Air induction
-Exhaust work
-M90 supercharge kit, or L67 top swap
-PCM custom tune
-Then after all the dust settles, you may want to look into building up your transmission to handle the power. (tripleedgeperformance.com has a lot of good info on our transmission.)

Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You need to have atleast a half tank of gas in the car to prevent condensation from forming and causing the inside of your gas tank to have rust. Go by the parts store and get a bottle of STP Fuel Stablizier and pour that in the tank right and ride around to let it "slosh around" and mix in good (maybe that's not necessary, but it makes me feel better when I put it in at empty and then put gas in.)

I don't know if $6-7 k is really enough to go all out turbo and really build the car to where it can actually handle it. Port and polished heads, supercharger, roller rockers, a and a cam plus a built up tranny and a shift kit will move you along nicely. If you're going to try to go much faster than that, you probably need to buy an LS1 Camaro and build from there. Of course, there are those on this forum who like to build up and race FWD V6's... it's all about what you want to drive I guess!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the responses. Yea it'll be a daily driver. I'm not gonna stop after the 6-7000 dollars. That'll just be the start ha. I just wanna go fast. I'm guessing suspension is a must and I've done the research on turbos and stuff but I'm still thinkin supercharger. I just wanna get the most performance outta the initial 6-7000 dollars. Then just go slowly from there.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Another question...3800performance or zzperformance? Or anyone else I should go thru?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM

$7000 is a great budget and you can build a monster FWD 3800 on it. You've got lot's of options! A decked out turbo kit with injectors, exhaust mods, and intercooler should run you about $4000 from ZZP. This leaves you $3000 for a built transmission.

I'd hit the ClubGP.com forums and do some research...you can definitely build a wild combo in your price range.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you want to spend that kind of money on this car, you'd better set aside an extra $400 or so for a set of street drag radials (like a set of Nitto's), or else those tires you have now just simply will not hook up!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Depends on your combo, tune, and suspension. Turbo setups tend to hook better from a dig then blower setups, since by nature they need to spool before they start making lots of power. You can pull alot of timing via your tune so that max timing doesn't come on until upper RPMs (past your stall)- this way you can modulate the throttle enough to hook, but keep making max power once you're rolling.

Either way, drag radials are never a bad idea.

The only turbo FWD 3800 I rode in made ~550 WHP. He nailed it a few times from a 15-20 roll and ran it up to ~100...it would actually hook at first, then start spinning tire when peak boost came on at 70 MPH. It was fun.

Quick Reply: Ideas for when I return?