Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Profession

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I'm a tile contractor, install wall and floor tiles in any way you can imagine
Here is a recent project, master bath remodel. New shower, angled body washes, 2 shower heads, bench seat, limited glass enclosure no door, curb-less shower entry, used Indonesian Micro-pebbles at shower floor to create a frozen lava flow effect on the ramped entry, moved the tub away from window, installed vanity with a seated position at window area. Put tub where vanity used to be. made a ledge at tub for candles and wine etc. Also helped hide plumbing and provided a tub spout mounting point. Tub is a non-jetted soaking tub, almost a 6K tub . All 12x24 porcelain wood effect tile flooring and pebble shower floor is heated. Mood lights under vanity, tub chandelier variable brightness on separate switch from behind tub sconces. This is something the customer and I designed and then I got busy putting this in. about 12 weeks to finish, from demolition to completion. Anyway that's what I have done since 1983

Notice recessed angled body washes. Did this because the heads would not swivel enough to prevent water from getting past the 32" wide glass door-less enclosure. Solution, recess and angle the washes mounting points. It works!!!

The vanity is a distressed leathered Cambrian Black marble, she got the bowl from Overstock. I fabbed the top, installed it, cut out sink hole etc.

Micro-pebbles at shower floor, as you can see, a one of a kind shower floor. Hand shaped the mortar bed to create contours and irregular leading edge to mimic something someone might see in nature.

Floating vanity, still need to get the plumbing fixtures mounted.

T&L metallic non-jetted soaking tub. Variable light intensity Custom Chandelier... Nice spot to end the day. A ledge for a glass of wine. She is an LPN in pediatrics, needs a refuge.

Under cabinet variable intensity mood lighting. All the lights are on separate switches.

Wow this is really cool! That has style.
This has always been a part time job for me. I studied to be an Architect. Then the military obligation had to be done before I could finish that. I used to engineer and design Truss Rafters for commercial and residential structures, also was a General contractor for a few years in the Metal Building field. Today you see my design everywhere on structures. (they all copied the design of a building I did back in the 80's and they call it Wainscoting.
My son has 2 degrees in Construction management and he worked for contractors during his college days 6years so if he walks onto a job he knows what needs to be done by all the subs. fun to see him in action.
My latest project was the kitchen remodel

Attached Thumbnails Profession-dscf9043a.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM

Started off as a geese monkey changing oil, eventually made it shop foreman now I sit at a desk and push papers all day.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:03 PM
1 Year Member

You work at fast eddies fast Eddie

Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2015
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Old03SSDriver
Do you paint pictures of clouds every day?
Don't I wish. I work for a big farm in Plant City, FL It's called Sizemore Farms. We were picking peaches but now I'm doing farm labor. Cleaning pastures, washing company trucks, drinking beer. Good hard work. Nothing better than a good, cold bud light with your boss after work.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 PM
1 Year Member

If you would of said Budweiser I totally would of agreed. Lol

Old 05-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i work in a steel plant, i actually like it alot and can see myself retiring from there, because of this job i was able to get alot of work done to jack

Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 PM

Man a large amount of members here are in the industrial field.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello all. I am a Industrial Automation Control Technician. I build, install, and program various automation controls such as PLC's, HMI'S(touch screens), Servo and Stepper motor drives, and Vision inspection systems. It is a pretty good job. Sometimes it is mostly wiring, other days I am looking at a laptop all day programming. It is cool when you put it all together to make a production line run.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Certified Automotive Technician for 35 yrs and an overlap of a Certified Automotive Machinist building everything from basic rebuilds to pro stock engines for 6 yrs.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 AM

I guess I'm more of a jack of all trades kinda guy. Done everything from Public works to Landscaping to construction etc. certified Air Traffic Controller, certified heavy equipment operator, CDL-A driver, welder etc..
2 yrs ago I was up in NY welding for $70/hr now I'm driving tractor trailer for pennies..
I have soo many interests but I'm not much of a school guy. The one thing I always wanted to do (Police officer) I have never pursued. Kinda hard now working crazy hours and having kids etc..