Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Who buys an Intimidator edition Monte Carlo as a fleet vehicle? Not saying it wouldn't happen. But just saying it's not your typical fleet vehicle. Unless they include dealership demo models as a fleet vehicle. In which case, is not a problem. I definitely wouldn't want to buy a rental car though.

I agree with JG Mike. Car lots seem to think they have gold when one of the driver edition Monte's show up on their lot. We all know it's overpriced at that price. But your odds of talking them down to a more realistic price will depend on how long they've had it, and how much serious interest there is for the car.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your really considering it....

Go to NADA.com

Then put in the appropriate info...and see what it tells you as far as value.

Dealers usually add at the Minimum 5K of its actual worth to makle money off some poor sucker that walks into the lot....

For that low of mileage in my opinion...that price....Id offer them 2000.00 tops!

Maybe it was wrecked? ... blown motor ... trans....
Carfax doesnt tell you everything!
If its not reported to the insurance company...carfax dont know squat!

Maybe the leather on the air bag means it was wrecked?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Thanks for the inputs again guys, but this is the game i've been playing looking for cars. They're all way over priced, and i doubt my chances of talking a couple thousand off the price are very good

Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM

5 Year Member

Keane:

Something else to consider when buying a used vehicle...
This is what I have done....

I take it for a test drive...Take it to a repair facility and have them put it on the rack to check everything out....Brake pad percentages,tire wear,trans,oil fluid...wheel (hub) bearings (grab the wheels and check for excessive movement, check the condition of the exhaust struts ,shocks...etc....
Just to name a few things....
Once you discover things that look a bit sketchy.. You use that as your bartering power...to get a reduction in price vs repairs...Usually there pretty much unwilling to repair somethings right then and there....

Thats when you have already made prior calls as far as price and labor for those repairs...
Some people arent willing to go to that length or arent aware of that kind of option as far getting a vehicle checked out before purchaseing it....

Something to consider...
Hope it helps.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the tip

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've used bartering on items that need a bit of "fixer upper". Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. BUT, another tip that helps, do your homework. If things like NADA, KBB and the like report that the dealer has the car grossly overpriced (and having comparable vehicles to compare to also helps) then that too could be leverage.
When I bought my Monte, I used CarFax as a tool (as I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area and the Monte was in Buffalo NY), CarFax told me it was in an accident. Even though the pics looked great, I used that as leverage that it impacted the car's value.

But, if your best negotiation tactics don't work, it's up you how much you want it.

When i searched for my Monte, I found a dealer with an '02 Black/Silver, 70K miles, 3 of the 4 diamond spokes had clear coat peeling, small rust spot by the 3rd tail light, leather seat pulling away from the bezel for the side air bag, smelled like cigarette smoke and the topper, all 4 brakes were so bad the dealer should NEVER have let someone take it for a test drive!! Ask price with like $10,000 for that mess!! I made a LOW ball offer after rattling the issues off, they would not budge, I did NOT hesitate to give the keys off and leave (and I'm so glad I never entertained it since, I was really after a blue and silver and I got one).

Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM

5 Year Member

Good points to also look at when shopping for a good used vehicle Maniac..good points to look for...

But I have had great success bartering for used vehicles from a dealership. I was able to with 2 of my current vehicles... 04 Silverado (7 yrs ago) and my 03 custom sierra(last year 2012)...from the same dealership... for examples...

Good luck keane..I hope you find something worthy of your search!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'd ask $8,000 cause 10k is too high. I bought my 05 SS with 59k back in Feb of 09 for $10,000 at a dealership/ebay. I'm not sure about the condition of the paint on your 04, but my 05 SS had a ton of paint chips on the front cause it was an all highway car but I jumped at it because it was the best bang for the buck at the time. About a year later it was hit in a parking lot (not my fault) and got all the paint fixed for free!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member

I've been back and forth alot, right now that is the best bang for my buck. I really want something with some what low miles as i do rack them up. KBB gave the car $10,700 in excellent condition(which obviously its not) and i believe nada guides was even less. And thanks again guys and gals for the tips

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

A word of advice about "excellent" condition. My step-brother used to work as a saleman at one our largest new and used car dealership (the place owns like an entire section of road on one of their locations and refers to their locations as "campuses"). NO car is EVER "Excellent" condition (and he said, that includes a new car). There is always something that prevents it from being that high level of pristine.

You can always make an offer on the car and see what the dealer does. I'm guilty of making one or two car negotiations that I could have got a lower price but one reason or another I was in the "I *REALLY* want this car" mode. Just feel it out...

Quick Reply: Opinions