Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: NOVEMBER 2018 short time till the New Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Good morning guys. 25 degrees this morning and the sun is suppose to show itself later. I'm only working a partial day today.

So I've been renovating our bathroom (just one of several areas in the house) and have been busting some butt lately to get it done. I had a family friend in the construction business do the shower to help me out but the rest I have done. I recently got all the new plumbing fixtures installed and working and just finished up trimming out the tub surround. I'll be eventually getting a frameless glass door for the shower and refinishing the vanity in white. Here's the progress as of a few days ago...

Here's a before picture...

looking good. I always dreaded the start of the project especially the demo, but when you get to the finishing touches, you can see the accomplishments. Are those panels on the Tub surround translucent, might be a place for accent lighting. I wasn't to interested in the Oil rubbed bronze fixtures til the wife insisted we have them, expensive stuff too. But once they are in I have to admit they look good. I hope they hold up to the Hard water that we have here.

Last edited by drivernumber3; 11-21-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Well not to bad here for temps yesterday. I got the Christmas lights up well at least the majority of them. The Trees are up the family has arrived and it is a noisy place for sure.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
looking good. I always dreaded the start of the project especially the demo, but when you get to the finishing touches, you can see the accomplishments. Are those panels on the Tub surround translucent, might be a place for accent lighting. I wasn't to interested in the Oil rubbed bronze fixtures til the wife insisted we have them, expensive stuff too. But once they are in I have to admit they look good. I hope they hold up to the Hard water that we have here.
Thank you! Getting rid of the 90s vibe the house had. Panels are not transparent, it's just 1x3 trim over top of 1/2" drywall on 1x6 framing and blocking behind (I added blocking for nailing the trim). We had all brushed nickel hardware in our last house and decided to go all oil rubbed bronze in this one. It definitely makes a statement - it's classy and contrasts nicely. I'm happy with it. And yes it's more expensive than all the other standard finishes. We have hard water too (softened) and I'm not too worried about it.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Thank you! Getting rid of the 90s vibe the house had. Panels are not transparent, it's just 1x3 trim over top of 1/2" drywall on 1x6 framing and blocking behind (I added blocking for nailing the trim). We had all brushed nickel hardware in our last house and decided to go all oil rubbed bronze in this one. It definitely makes a statement - it's classy and contrasts nicely. I'm happy with it. And yes it's more expensive than all the other standard finishes. We have hard water too (softened) and I'm not too worried about it.
Sometimes that detail doesn't show int eh photo's, Looks great. Back in the 80's I worked for a company that sold all kinds of stuff one item was a Water Softener when I lived in Iowa the town had natural soft water. When I moved to NE. this water was terrible. The softener guy rode with me to sell Water softener to all my accounts he tested the water at my house and it turn up 32K grains hard water. So I have seen how bad it corrodes plumbing fixtures. But the plumber insisted we use Moen we got them from his distributor, but they are supposed be lifetime warranty. I imagine the outside will go before the inside of the fixture.
here is a shot of mine we even got an Atomic light fixture.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member

happy thanksgiving to everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Good morning MCF. Hope everyone is good. The bathroom renovations look great!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Good morning , hope everyone spent quality time with family, stuffed their belly's and got themselves some good deals for black Friday. Was a very sad week for us. Surrounded by family and friends help's us thru the time. Wishing everyone a safe holiday season.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Well here it is Saturday the 24th and there is a Snow storm predicted for this area. They have upgraded us to a Blizzard. That is crappie for sure.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning guys. Made it up to 46 degrees yesterday, 40 right now. Since it's 'warm', I changed the oil in the Monte last night and will get the rest of its winterizing done today. Might take advantage of the warmer temps to get a few other outside things done today.

Next snow system moves in tonight thru tomorrow (same system affecting Dean now). Starts as rain here and then changes to snow as temps drop. Looks like we'll get around 4" of snow while areas to the west and North (where temps will be cooler longer) could get 8"+.

MI/OSU - Michigan was by far the favorite this year (and probably the better team overall) and still imploded against Ohio State, losing 39-62. Not only did MI get beat by OSU... again... but OSU put up a record # of points by either team in the history of this matchup. And against a #1 defense in MI. In my opinion, even at 10-2 now, MI's entire season was just wasted with that loss yesterday. This was MI's best season in a while and they still can't beat OSU.

Originally Posted by GTHSS
The bathroom renovations look great!
Thank you!

Dean, your bathroom looks nice. I see you have those fancy colored, patterned tiles.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 11-25-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

So how much snow did y'all get?

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: NOVEMBER 2018 short time till the New Year