Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Nissan Maxima VS. Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

U bend delete or a new downpipe with the delete would be first, cold air intake theres a bunch of lil things that can be done

Old 12-31-2011, 01:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

What downpipe would you suggest?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

According to the site I always check (THIS SITE RIGHT HERE) a '92 Maxima SE with a 5-spd can run the quarter in 15.3. That is not good news for you. An '02 SS is only 16.6 in the quarter. These are all assuming OE specs. Your going to have to supercharge it to beat the guy. Which isn't that crazy either. Buy an old used donor car. I literally just gave away a '98 Regal GS that had all the parts you need to win...

Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 AM

no, just get the cold air intake, swap your wires out for sum 8mm wires, put sum iridiums on there, swap your coils out for msd's, and put the exhaust on there, and then get a tuner and tune and you should walk, my 3.1 with a cam walks the maxima all day long

Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Thats pretty much stock sc times & 1996 Monte Carlo i hope your just talking bout the 3.0 & not the 3.5 cuz theres no way you would walk a 3.5 ive seen em go high 13s with just a cold air intake

Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A cam would probably be harder and more expensive then doing the top swap with a donor SC car. But the swap is not an easy build either. Its gonna take more than a CAI. I don't think too many would agree that the 8mm wires and iridium plugs make much difference

Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 AM

Not to be rude, I know its a satisfying thought when your car can beat someone elses, but when someone says that to me my answers always and I care why? lol I mean I bought the car because I flat out love them, If I wanted a car that would be able to smoke a few cars then I'd have kept my camaro and put $6,000 into that instead of buying this car, just a thought lol.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

No, I love my Monte and I never race it or intend to, but I love making my car better and putting love into him. the only reason I posted this is because I really don't like the guy much and he thinks he is a total badass and that hes always right. So I would love to make him eat.his words.

How easy/hard are swaps and what components do I need to do a complete one?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've done a lot of work to my Monte, originally making it an NA beast and then finally stepping into the dark side of boost. Here's is my recommendation if you want an easy way to increase hp. Let me also say, the easiest way to make some hp is not going to be the cheapest, but it will involve very little work that you could do in an apartment parking lot. Also let me add, do NOT use MSD coils on your 3800. Again, DO NOT USE the MSD coils. They do not work nearly as well as the factory coils, plus the factory coils are usually good for something like 500hp IIRC.

The cheapest way to make hp in these cars is to do a top swap. But that means that you have to replace everything on your engine from the heads up. The only thing that you won't change is the block in the swap. Some people have also had problems while doing a top swap, and you really need to be experienced with these engines if you want to make sure that everything is done correctly. Plus with a top swap you will want to buy a few gauges (oil pressure, boost, scan gauge) in order to make sure that there are no problems with the engine while driving it.

If you want the easiest way though, then I would make a fwi, buy a d/p, a ported t/b, rockers, and a PCM tune (box or custom). You can get most of the parts at ZZP, and when you've done all of this, you won't have any problem whatsoever dusting that pesky Maxima.

Also, I know that on the internet they say that a Monte SS runs a 16.6. That time was taken from a Car & Driver magazine 8-10 years ago (I've read that very magazine). I have NEVER seen a 6th gen SS run that slow of a time before. That time is typical of a Monte LS with a 3400, not an SS with a 3800. Most 6th gen SS run high 15's low 16's stock (I've never seen anything slower then a 16.3). However, I've never seen what a 93 era Maxima will run so I can't give you any advice from experience on what it will run. What I can say is though, that I believe that even though your Monte weighs 400-500lbs more then the Maxima, you do you 10 more hp and 20lbs ft more torque then he does. Plus, in order for his Maxima to run faster then you, he HAS to shift PERFECTLY or else you'll take him.

I wouldn't be too worried.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM

One of my coworkers has a late 90s Maxima and I walked away from him in 5th gear on the interstate in the 73. Didn't even downshift out of my overdrive gear. I'm pretty sure you'd whip him off the line (those import motors make less torque than hp), but him being a lighter car with a higher revving engine I'm not sure if you'd stay ahead or not. Now if it was a 2002 or newer Maxima I wouldn't even try without going supercharged. Those are legitimately quick as are the 2002 and up V6 Altimas. I almost bought an Altima before I bought my Monte.

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima VS. Monte?