Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's, Do you like it ? or not ?(Multi-Choice)
I like it
35.71%
I don't like it
21.43%
I want to see & drive it first
10.71%
My Monte could beat it 4-Sure
46.43%
I hope GM makes a Sports Car in this price range to compete
39.29%
I will post my thoughts
10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

New 200-hp Sports Coupe-Will it beat a Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
It looks pretty neat but deff needs more hp thats for sure
just get a subaru turbo for it

looks like fun hopefully the toyota dealership i detail for gets one sometime

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 AM

I like the basic idea - keeping it simple. One of the things I dislike about most newer cars is the quantity of gadgets and high-tech stuff. Seems like it would be a fun car to drive / own. Especially if it has the ability to be modified with aftermarket parts. Definitely won't be the fastest sport-coupe on the road, but that doesn't appear to be one of their design criteria.

Though I doubt I'll be buying one, I hope Toyota is successful with this venture. Maybe it will inspire others manufacturers (Chevy??) to think along similar lines.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I'd buy one and drive the hell out of it.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

I don't see the weight listed anywhere...

If it's light enough, it doesn't NEED 600 HP in order to smoke some it's more expensive competition. I believe there will be HUGE aftermarket support for this vehicle with Subaru and Toyota sharing a platform.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
I don't see the weight listed anywhere...
It weighs 2662lbs

Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I don't really care it, but I like to concept of offering a basic 'bare-bones' car then offering a lot of add-on components. I think that is what Toyota is banking on with this venture.

'Toyota envisions the car as being popular with the tuner crowd and aims to promote that use by making the car easily upgradable with a plethora of accessories and add-ons.'

Here's a video of it in action:

First Footage of the FT-86 in Action - Autoholics

Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 PM

I like the idea of a bare bones car, but not at 200hp. Especially in this day and age. The only stripped down cars I would truly be interested in would be the high powered cars. The Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers of the world. If I'm only gonna have 200hp, I better have some creature comforts to make up for it. I want a Camaro that has just the basic stuff but still has the V8. As it is right now you have to get all these things that a lot of people don't need just to get a V8.

For the record, the Nissan 370Z starts at 30 grand. 4 grand is not enough of a difference to justify giving up 150hp. That's just my personal opinion.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
It really doesn't. This is the best part about the car. It is a BARE BONES car. They are using the bare minimum for this car. It is strictly just going to be a FUN CAR. This thing isn't here to set records, but it will gain a huge aftermarket and it is a perfect slate to build toys.

Look at a Miata. Drive one. They are light, and quick, and fun. This thing has like 70 more HP than the Miata. It is going to be a blast.
Ive driven a mazdaspeed miata before i dont fit in em too well it was quick but i want quicker lol they need a turbo option

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM

First Footage of the FT-86 in Action - Autoholics

Thanks Seattle`Mike for your post/words/thoughts & super vid link. I just woke `up from my power nap, had a glass of O.J. & then poured a cup of coffee & watched your aboce vid's on your link...I really enjoyed the last vid of the Japanese guy hot rod'in around that road course...(He drives like EnZo `Brock) LOL. It could have been recorded better, but that driver was purposely throwing it in2 corners to test the handling...That Boxer 2L was scream'in & sounded decent...

It's really looks like a human Go-Kart for the streets
I hope a salesmen lets me drive one like in the vid
It's going to be fun to see them & be able to test them 4-Sure..
===========================================
Hi Sarge, I still think $4K is a lot of extra money, but I do like the Nissan `Z, but I don't think it will just be $4K difference. The Z's are a powerful six, but don't get the MPG's as a Boxer 4 Banger, plus insurance & maintenance is higher 4-Sure...
+ plus you can only have 2 people & in the FT-86 you can haul 2 friends in the back seat that you don't like LOL...
I'm not trying to sell this car, just posting infor on a new sports coupe that coming out next year...

I just like it cause it will handle & is well balanced & 0-60 in under six seconds isn't 2 bad for a direct injected 4 Banger with 200 HP w/o being `Charged +, light weight, a short throw 6 speed, RWD with posi Time & future test will reveal the outcome, but I think the "Toy Company" may have a great little package that will appeal to many on Planet Earth..

Thanks everyone for your posts: Pro's & Con's...I love reading them `all....It's been a fun thread...Keep up your posts/comments & input/output
EnJoy 4-Sure......The MCF should be Fun

Last edited by Space; 11-29-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
I'd buy one and drive the hell out of it.
Hell yea.

Quick Reply: New 200-hp Sports Coupe-Will it beat a Monte Carlo ?