Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's, Do you like it ? or not ?(Multi-Choice)
I like it
35.71%
I don't like it
21.43%
I want to see & drive it first
10.71%
My Monte could beat it 4-Sure
46.43%
I hope GM makes a Sports Car in this price range to compete
39.29%
I will post my thoughts
10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

New 200-hp Sports Coupe-Will it beat a Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow New 200-hp Sports Coupe-Will it beat a Monte Carlo ?

Toyota Takes Fun to the Masses With 200-hp Sports Coupe

Hi Member's, I hope GM builds a new coupe in this price range for us ? I'm really looking 4ward to seeing/driving this new machine I like the Boxer 2L Engine with six speed stick or auto : ) It should be a blast 2 drive & really handle 2 What do you think of it ? Post & let us know...

By Hans Greimel, Automotive News

By AutoWeek Nov 28, 2011 11:48AM

Toyota President Akio Toyoda unveiled his company's new 200-hp rear-wheel-drive sports coupe before thousands of fans at a Formula One race track on Monday in his bid to spice up a brand better known for bland but utilitarian offerings such as the Corolla and Camry.

The car, to be called the Toyota 86 in Japan and sold as the Scion FR-S in the United States, has been in the works for five years and received close scrutiny from Toyoda, who is banking on the car as an affordable halo model to burnish the company's performance credentials.

The 86 hits a top speed of 142 mph and can do a 0-to-62-mph run in six seconds. But raw speed is not the goal, says chief engineer Tetsuya Tada. The model's true mission is multifold:

-- Achieve a low price point that can lure recent college graduates.
-- Strive for fun-to-drive handling with a low center of gravity.
-- Strip out fancy electronic-control systems and turbochargers.
-- Deliver a ride that can be easily customized and tuned by car buffs.<!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

Toyota hasn't disclosed a price or gas-mileage estimates. But the company has said it is targeting a sticker around 2 million yen ($26,000). Tada said the goal is to price the car in a range that would be affordable to recent college graduates.

Going low-tech
"A lot of cars these days are controlled by computer chips, and that leads to a sense of the car driving you, instead of you driving the car," Tada said after the 86's introduction Monday at the Toyota-owned Fuji Speedway outside Tokyo near the base of snow-capped Mount Fuji. "We decided to use as few computer controls as possible. We wanted to go back to basics."

The 86 was jointly developed with Subaru, which debuts its version--the BRZ--at this week's Tokyo motor show. Toyota did the styling, while Subaru provided the four-cylinder horizontally opposed boxer engine. Subaru will build both versions at its factory in Gunma, Japan.

Toyoda--clad in a red-and-black racing suit--introduced the car himself by flooring a bright vermillion 86 down the straightaway at the Fuji Speedway, where some 20,000 car buffs gathered to witness the debut and participate in the annual Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival.

The car's name in Japan--86--is a nod to the popular AE86 line of Corolla-based sports cars that Toyota rolled out in the 1980s. Toyota evoked its sporty roots at the tuner festival with a parade of vintage sports cars that included Toyota fan club members driving their original 86s, 2000 GTs, Sport 800s from the 1960s and a sampling of souped-up Supras.

The 86 first appeared as a candy-apple-red FT-86 concept at the 2009 Tokyo motor show. In Japan, the production version drops the "FT" nomenclature for concepts that means "Future Toyota." In Europe, the car will be sold as the Toyota GT 86.

No design by committee
Tada admits the car won't satisfy everyone, and he's fine with that. Toyota broke with a long tradition of designing by committee to deliver a car rendered by sports-car enthusiasts assembled from within the company, he said. They focused on driving feel, not on numbers.

"When you show a sports car to the board of directors, the first thing they ask is how fast it is, what is the lap time, how does its speed compare with rivals. Marketing initially opposed the concept, saying it's not fast enough and didn't have enough new technology," Tada said.

"But what is unique about this car is that we didn't target numerical performance goals. We ignored the traditional Toyota development pattern," Tada said. "And the only reason we could do that is because there is a man on the board of directors named Akio Toyoda."

Toyoda, a racing fanatic, was especially hands on in flavoring the 86--checking in monthly on the car's development. He often test-drove the 86 and gave orders on what to fix.

The Toyota 86 gets a 2.0-liter four cylinder, DOHC boxer engine from Subaru equipped with Toyota's D-4S fuel injection system. It comes mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, while delivering 200 hp and topping out at 7,000 rpm.

The fuel-injection system has twin injectors for both direct and port injection.

The car enters production next spring and goes on sale next year in the United States.

Nimble, customizable
During a test drive for journalists on Fuji's short circuit, the 86 demonstrated lively pickup, good balance and nimble handling--all with the distinctive growling rumble of Subaru's boxer power plant. More-punishing journalists had a field day screeching and drifting through the turns.

Handling is improved by the boxer engine's low center of gravity.

The interior styling reflects what Tada calls "neofunctionalism." It is a no-frills, utilitarian look focusing on old-school dials and switches--with the meter cluster built around the tachometer.

Some paneling is simply shiny black plastic, while other trim gets a faux carbon-fiber texture. The deep bucket seats have sporty red stitching with ample side bolstering.

The steering wheel is the smallest in the Toyota lineup with a diameter of 365 millimeters (14 inches). Toyota says this provides optimal steering performance and grip.

The 86 seats four with cramped rear leg room. But the back seats fold down to provide space for luggage or--as Toyota pitches it--racing tires and tool kits.

Toyota envisions the car as being popular with the tuner crowd and aims to promote that use by making the car easily upgradable with a plethora of accessories and add-ons.

Last edited by Space; 11-29-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Thumbs up

Toyota takes fun to the masses with 200-hp sports coupe

<HR id=bighr><HR id=smallhr>

<!--This is where the subscribe if date entered in slug was --><LINK rel=stylesheet type=text/css href="/css/articleGallery.css">The 86 was jointly developed with Subaru, which de. Photo by Toyota.

A sticker of around $26,000 is what we're expectin. Photo by Toyota.

Toyota hasn't disclosed a price or gas-mileage est. Photo by Toyota.

Toyota wants to deliver a ride that can be easily . Photo by Toyota.

With the FT-86 Toyota wants a car that will achiev. Photo by Toyota.

The car, to be called the Toyota 86 in Japan and s. Photo by Toyota.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda unveiled his company'. Photo by Toyota.

The

By: Hans Greimel, Automotive News on 11/28/2011

Related ArticlesToyota President Akio Toyoda unveiled his company's new 200-hp rear-wheel-drive sportscoupe before thousands of fans at a Formula One race track on Monday in his bid to spice up a brand better known for bland but utilitarian offerings such as the Corolla and Camry.
The car, to be called the Toyota 86 in Japan and sold as theScion FR-S in the United States, has been in the works for five years and received close scrutiny from Toyoda, who is banking on the car as an affordable halo model to burnish the company's performance credentials.
The 86 hits a top speed of 142 mph and can do a 0-to-62-mph run in six seconds. But raw speed is not the goal, says chief engineer Tetsuya Tada. The model's true mission is multifold:
-- Achieve a low price point that can lure recent college graduates.
-- Strive for fun-to-drive handling with a low center of gravity.
-- Strip out fancy electronic-control systems and turbochargers.
-- Deliver a ride that can be easily customized and tuned by car buffs.
Toyota hasn't disclosed a price or gas-mileage estimates. But the company has said it is targeting a sticker around 2 million yen ($26,000). Tada said the goal is to price the car in a range that would be affordable to recent college graduates.
Going low-tech
"A lot of cars these days are controlled by computer chips, and that leads to a sense of the car driving you, instead of you driving the car," Tada said after the 86's introduction Monday at the Toyota-owned Fuji Speedway outside Tokyo near the base of snow-capped Mount Fuji. "We decided to use as few computer controls as possible. We wanted to go back to basics."
The 86 was jointly developed with Subaru, which debuts its version--the BRZ--at this week's Tokyo motor show. Toyota did the styling, while Subaru provided the four-cylinder horizontally opposed boxer engine. Subaru will build both versions at its factory in Gunma, Japan.
Toyoda--clad in a red-and-black racing suit--introduced the car himself by flooring a bright vermillion 86 down the straightaway at the Fuji Speedway, where some 20,000 car buffs gathered to witness the debut and participate in the annual Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival.
The car's name in Japan--86--is a nod to the popular AE86 line of Corolla-based sportscars that Toyota rolled out in the 1980s. Toyota evoked its sporty roots at the tuner festival with a parade of vintage sports cars that included Toyota fan club members driving their original 86s, 2000 GTs, Sport 800s from the 1960s and a sampling of souped-up Supras.
The 86 first appeared as a candy-apple-red FT-86 concept at the 2009 Tokyo motor show. In Japan, the production version drops the "FT" nomenclature for concepts that means "Future Toyota." In Europe, the car will be sold as the Toyota GT 86.
No design by committee
Tada admits the car won't satisfy everyone, and he's fine with that. Toyota broke with a long tradition of designing by committee to deliver a car rendered by sports-car enthusiasts assembled from within the company, he said. They focused on driving feel, not on numbers.
"When you show a sports car to the board of directors, the first thing they ask is how fast it is, what is the lap time, how does its speed compare with rivals. Marketing initially opposed the concept, saying it's not fast enough and didn't have enough new technology," Tada said.
"But what is unique about this car is that we didn't target numerical performance goals. We ignored the traditional Toyota development pattern," Tada said. "And the only reason we could do that is because there is a man on the board of directors named Akio Toyoda."
Toyoda, a racing fanatic, was especially hands on in flavoring the 86--checking in monthly on the car's development. He often test-drove the 86 and gave orders on what to fix.
The Toyota 86 gets a 2.0-liter four cylinder, DOHC boxer engine from Subaru equipped with Toyota's D-4S fuel injection system. It comes mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, while delivering 200 hp and topping out at 7,000 rpm.
The fuel-injection system has twin injectors for both direct and port injection.
The car enters production next spring and goes on sale next year in the United States.
Nimble, customizable
During a test drive for journalists on Fuji's short circuit, the 86 demonstrated lively pickup, good balance and nimble handling--all with the distinctive growling rumble of Subaru's boxer power plant. More-punishing journalists had a field day screeching and drifting through the turns.
Handling is improved by the boxer engine's low center of gravity.
The interior styling reflects what Tada calls "neofunctionalism." It is a no-frills, utilitarian look focusing on old-school dials and switches--with the meter cluster built around the tachometer.
Some paneling is simply shiny black plastic, while other trim gets a faux carbon-fiber texture. The deep bucket seats have sporty red stitching with ample side bolstering.
The steering wheel is the smallest in the Toyota lineup with a diameter of 365 millimeters (14 inches). Toyota says this provides optimal steering performance and grip.
The 86 seats four with cramped rear leg room. But the back seats fold down to provide space for luggage or--as Toyota pitches it--racing tires and tool kits.
Toyota envisions the car as being popular with the tuner crowd and aims to promote that use by making the car easily upgradable with a plethora of accessories and add-ons.

Read more: Toyota takes fun to the masses with 200-hp sports coupe - Autoweek

Last edited by Space; 11-29-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Looks like they're trying to compete with the Nissan Z series cars (the only other performance oriented RWD import coupe). But it sounds like the 370Z still has this thing's butt whupped. The V6 in the 370Z puts out 330hp, 350 in the NISMO version. If Toyota is trying to change their image of bland, non-performance cars, they're sure not trying as hard as they say they are. The lack of a turbo on the 4 banger tells me that much right there. I'd take an Altima SE-R over this in a heartbeat. Nissan and Subaru have Toyota beat pretty badly in the performance department and this apprears to be a half-*** effort to change that. Doubt it'll be effective until if/when they finally decide to take a REAL effort at this.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Hi `Sarge, Thanks for your posts & commens. I don't think you could buy a new Nissan Z or a Altima SE-R for the price of the FR-S...They are different animals.
I'm sure a turbo is in the future, but it will be higher priced as always...+ the FR-S will get decent fuel miles, and I don't think the others will come close ?

I love a car that handles & is RWD with a six speed stick : )
I agree that the others are super nice rides, but I just like that companies are building cars like this that are way under $30 K.
I also like the Ford Mustang with the V6 & standard trans..better then the V6 Camaro......Now, I do love the SS V8 Camaro's, but everyone I seem to like is over $40K Wow...
Not in my bank account 4-Sure : ) Thanks for your posts/commens 4-Sure.....I'm not a Toy fan, but I will let them try to convert me with a Super Product ~> `if it is going 2 `be one Peace/Out from `Space

Old 11-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The new Miata lol.

That thing would be a blast to drive.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

to me it look like they are trying to hard that front end does Not look Good to me at all IMO.
If it was a super car that is 1 thing but like I said to me I dont think of a super car at 200hp !! LOL!!

Last edited by Blazed SS; 11-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

It looks pretty neat but deff needs more hp thats for sure

Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
It looks pretty neat but deff needs more hp thats for sure
It really doesn't. This is the best part about the car. It is a BARE BONES car. They are using the bare minimum for this car. It is strictly just going to be a FUN CAR. This thing isn't here to set records, but it will gain a huge aftermarket and it is a perfect slate to build toys.

Look at a Miata. Drive one. They are light, and quick, and fun. This thing has like 70 more HP than the Miata. It is going to be a blast.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks Mod `Mike, I couldn't said it better I hope it is going to be & think it will be a BLAST 2 drive & if you want more HP, there's going to be a super aftermarket 4 that I don't know if I'd every get one, but I'm just happy that they are making this little fun car @ a decent price in 2days automotive economy....I know this car isn't 4 everyone, and I think that's great 2 : ) I'm looking forward to test driving one & may just get addicted : ) LOL

Thanks everyone for your posts & contributions...

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

thats cool I understand what you are saying but 2 me if i am getting a new camaro I would get the v8 not the v6 I know they look close but i iam going to pick a payment it would want the best and like i said thats just how i feel about it

Quick Reply: New 200-hp Sports Coupe-Will it beat a Monte Carlo ?