Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need some real opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
I have to ask again... another member mentioned the horsepower, and they're right. You get a Mustang, and they offer you low trade in nad all, you're going to owe money on the Monte AND that Mustang you buy. You're going to dig yourself a hole.

Don't buy that car on Saturday. Even if you fall in love with it.

Drive it, try it out, run it through town, do whatever.

The next thing I would do is search for 01-02 Camaro or Firebird with low miles and go drive it. You might like it better. If you're a GM guy, you satisfy your need for a GM vehicle. Plus, after 98, the Camaro and Firebird had a 325 hp LS1 V8, and a 6 speed instead of a 5, like hte Ford had until they came out with the 5.0 in 2010? or so. The Mustang lost that battle, hands down. You can start modifying those and start from more horsepower too.

You said you "wanted more than these cars had to offer?" Have you driven one? Plus, mpgs, you're tlaking 2-4 mpg... ads up over the years, but I don't think it's going to add up to save you waht mods to that Mustang would need to get to the Camaro's level of performacne, and I don't think you're going to save more than $10-15 a month either way. What's the Mustang ahve that the Camaro and Firebird doesn't offer?

I really don't think you should buy this car without trying out something else. I always drive a few cars when I want something new just to have something to compare it too. Every single time, I loved the first car I wnated in the first place, but after driving other cars, I knew what people were talking about they compared options.

Just my $.02.... isn't worth much with the inflation rate and all these days, btu that's it!

P.S.... read the title under my name.... Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man.

And I'm trying to talk you out of buying that car....

If you can tell me you drove both cars and prefer the Mustang, then go for it... but don't get a bad deal... there are lots of those cars out there. Several members here think that one is over priced. Don't be scared to walk away. There are plenty of Mustangs, plenty of deals you can make. Don't move too fast and get a car you'll regret.
Thanks, my brother just recently got a 96' camaro which I have driven. I wasn't crazy about it, but it was only a v6 and was an auto. And I drove a 2001 Mustang GT with an auto a little while back and I did like the Mustang a little more. Now granted I'm comparing an older v6 vs a slightly less old V8 so it's like comparing apples to oranges. One thing I'm not a big fan of in the F-body cars is how much effort it takes to get out of the car. It may seem like a little thing. But when I daily drive it, and get in and out of the car nearly every day. I can see me not really hating that, but it will get old I think.

I probably won't buy that mustang just because I'm trying to make myself wait till I get my tax return. Then I may just soak my tax return into my Monte and help get the payoff down to basically what most places have offered me which would be around $9500 (going off of what I got back last year) Then I would be pretty much getting into a car straight up and not have any money roll over, or not have very much money roll over rather then have an additional $1800 or whatever go over to my next car like I would now. Until then I'm just going to keep looking and driving different cars like you stated. Who knows, maybe by then I can find a nice 2003-2004 Cobra for a decent price, now that would be sweet lol. Which ultimately is one of my favorite cars that I drool over every time I see one.

I really appreciate the input. It helps out a lot. I'm still pretty young (just turned 21) so I sometimes still get very inpatient haha.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a 98 Camaro v6 5-speed as a daily driver. Yeah it wasn't that comfortable of a car to daily drive.

The manual does make the v6 a little better though. Even better if you can get a 3.42 geared posi behind that v6.

It really helps to think A LOT about your finances and stuff. I've been all around what cars I want to restore / DD / fix-up, etc. Everything I have done has required a lot of planning before hand haha

Old 01-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is a lot of difference in the 93-97 Camaro and the 98-02 Camaro/Firebird. A LOT of difference! It doesn't seem like it.. but hte interior is cleaner, more plush, the power is better, the aesthetics are a little better.... no way I'd ever take the older one, really. I never owned one but never had much trouble getting in or out. At your age, you should be able to get used to it, you're young, use that back The V8 was also a torque and horsepower monster that the 3.8 can't hope to replicate. Especially compared to engines from its time......

But at the same time, owning all that, if it isn't comfortable, and the Mustang is an easier in-out, more reliable, easier to drive, more comfortable car for a similar amount of power, newer body, and easier to throw things in the trunk, service, etc., then go for it... but don't get too anxious. I think you're realizing what we're saying.... look all over craigslist, autotrader, everything. Span out to about 200 miles.

Like around here, Danville, VA nad Leesburg, VA always seem to sell cars cheaper than everywhere else. Find the town around you that seems to sell cars the cheapest. I bought my Mustang for about $4500-5000 cheaper than anyone else charged for a comparable car and only had to drive 245 miles one way to get it.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
There is a lot of difference in the 93-97 Camaro and the 98-02 Camaro/Firebird. A LOT of difference! It doesn't seem like it.. but hte interior is cleaner, more plush, the power is better, the aesthetics are a little better.... no way I'd ever take the older one, really. I never owned one but never had much trouble getting in or out. At your age, you should be able to get used to it, you're young, use that back The V8 was also a torque and horsepower monster that the 3.8 can't hope to replicate. Especially compared to engines from its time......

But at the same time, owning all that, if it isn't comfortable, and the Mustang is an easier in-out, more reliable, easier to drive, more comfortable car for a similar amount of power, newer body, and easier to throw things in the trunk, service, etc., then go for it... but don't get too anxious. I think you're realizing what we're saying.... look all over craigslist, autotrader, everything. Span out to about 200 miles.

Like around here, Danville, VA nad Leesburg, VA always seem to sell cars cheaper than everywhere else. Find the town around you that seems to sell cars the cheapest. I bought my Mustang for about $4500-5000 cheaper than anyone else charged for a comparable car and only had to drive 245 miles one way to get it.
What places would you recommend looking at in VA? I'm in NC so I certainly wouldn't mind traveling up into VA to get a car.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM

5 Year Member

Leesburg, VA and Warrenton, VA seem to have good deals on Autotrader.... both are near Washington, DC. Danville is above Greensboro on the state line... but NC is a big place and I have no idea hwere you are.

Seems like I've heard a lot of people tlak about Fayetteville, NC... don't know if it's good talk or bad talk though.

I live in Oxford, directly north of Raleigh by about 45 minutes... not too far from Virginia. This town is far from where you should be buying cars though! The dealers in this town think they're selling gold with the cars or something.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Uh oh, three members in NC... Too bad only one of us will have a Monte haha

Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 AM

5 Year Member

Did you do the deed?